IGNORED

Wonderboy on the 7800?

VicViper

lol

thanks guys... I've got a long way to go. I'll post the 'synopsis' & rules I have in mind for the game tonight.

I couldn't have done this without: PAC-MAN-RED's graphics, jwierer's level editor, and consulting from kenfused.

No BIN yet, as when I switched this from 48K to 144K, I broke something and it won't run in a CCII. (You have to use the same BankSwitching as Crossbow).

I'll work on that tonight too.

Bob

Thank you again :love:

• Like 2

Holy frack! This is real? I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming! Your Royal Highness, Bob, you are the best! Just one question, is there sound on these demos? I am only hearing a hum. Just wondering.

You guys are too funny... and too kind. Thank you again.

I first have to say where I got this idea from... I originally wanted to do a side scroller... So at first I was thinking along the lines of 'Pitfall III'. Then out of nowhere, this thread came up. When I saw spiffyone's post of using Bentley Bear, I thought it was a *great* idea.

So, thanks VicViper for starting this thread and both him and spiffyone for giving me the idea (no, really, thanks) :D

Thank you so much Jeff, Illya, and Ken, for the tools as mentioned before, and for our 'idea' sessions.

There is no sound at this time. It will, however be an XM mandatory game because of the alternate placement of the Pokey.

I have no back story yet, but here's the game rules:

There are 10 levels unless I can get more in, two of which you've seen (although they are not final - they are just there to let you see all of the enemies).

Button 'A' jumps, and button 'B' runs (when held down) or throws jewels (when hit).

I m hoping to have this completed by the CGExpo in August so I can debut it there.

Enemies (touching any of them is death) ranging from easiest to toughest:

• Tree - Moves toward you slowly, doesn't do anything unexpected.
  • Worm - Runs toward you, periodically jumping.
  • Skeleton - Moves a little faster, drops from the sky and is able to jump one level up to higher ground.
  • Bee Swarm - Moves along the top of the screen (can be easily missed if not paying attention), drops down when directly over you.
  • Ghost - Floats toward you in a wave-like pattern. Vertically tracks, albeit slowly.
  • Zombie - Moves slowly, only jewel hits to the head will register. Can reverse direction if hitting a wall.
  • Floating Head - Like the flaming skulls in DOOM, will float slowly, randomly zipping toward the player. Vertically tracks as well.
  • Coyote - Runs quickly toward you, and if he is close enough will try to 'claw' you. The 'claw' will be changed to kill the player (at the moment it just hurts you). He will also try to jump over your thrown jewels.
  • Knights - Red, Tan, and Green - Increase in speed, and frequency of attack. Will slash at you with their sword when close enough. This will also be changed to kill the player. They will back up quickly to avoid your thrown jewels.
  • Purple Blob - Accelerates as they approach the player. If passed, they will reverse direction and accelerate toward you from behind. Also vertically tracks the player
  • Witch - The 'Boss' and the most difficult. Will move in a wave like pattern in place, until she decides to attack the player. Then she will zip toward you. If she passes you without killing you, She will reverse direction. Vertically tracks the player. In later levels, she will become quicker and throw fireballs as well.

Help:

• Honey Jar - Gives health and points.
  • White Jewel - Gives the player a weapon. Hit 'B' button to throw white jewels.
  • Green Jewel - Doubles the power of whatever weapon you have in your hand.
  • Red Jewel - Twice as powerful as the white jewel.
  • Magic Hat - Invincibility (for a time)

Others:

• Crystal Ball (not sure what to do with this yet)
  • Fire (environmental hazard which harms the player)

Regarding the issue with the CCII / bin: Did you know that the Crossbow '.A78' banks within the file are in a different order than the '.BIN'? That's why it didn't work in the CCII. This is going to be interesting to try and 'sign' to get a bin to work if you need to sign the .A78 file... :(

Edit: Video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8HwOhcB_PA&feature=youtu.be

Thanks,

Bob

• Like 5

There is no sound at this time. It will, however be an XM mandatory game because of the alternate placement of the Pokey.

I have no back story yet, but here's the game rules:

Thanks,

Bob

Okay, so I was gone for a year and a half or more until last month, so I have very little idea what the XM is. I've looked around and it looks cool, but what does "XM Mandatory" mean? Does it mean "no sound without the XM" or "No play without the XM." This may have just moved the XM up my priority list.

@Atarifever: At the moment, XM mandatory means no sound without the XM. But if I decide I need to use the extra RAM in the XM, it could very easily turn into no play without the XM. :(

Ok - got the BIN files working! They are below. Use the same CCII entry for this game as for Crossbow.

EDIT: Oops - posted the wrong bins :dunce:

Level1Demo.BIN

Level2Demo.BIN

• Like 1

Cool video, Bob. And nice to see some color palette changes. I tried the demos under ProSystem - Just in case it was a MESS thing (Although I doubted it, since the MESS palette especially with HLSL adjustments looks fantastic), but still came up with the darker shades for clouds and the 'browner' forest (Which wasn't a bad thing, IMHO - looks more like the fall/autumn).

post-18-0-96461900-1336820621_thumb.pngpost-18-0-65660300-1336820632_thumb.png

Speaking of which, perhaps that can be a way to add more levels/difficulty. After cycling though the first 10 levels, another set of the same levels with a palette swap, including the same or different enemies just with more difficult with their speed and timing.

Although the Ghosts and the Zombie Heads are already a PIA ;)

Or perhaps similar to Mario Levels where there are four levels to each section. Level 1-1 is Spring, Level 1-2 is Summer, Level 1-3 is Fall, Level 1-4 Winter -

For the castle section - 3-1 is "Land" castle, 3-2 is "Fire" castle, 3-3 is "Wind" castle, 3-4 is "Ice" castle. Perhaps the witch appears at the end of each castle level (?)

Of course the reality is calling for a total of 40 levels (If sticking with a 10 unique section design), which obviously is a hell of a lot easier to type than implement..lol. Again, thoughts were just triggered seeing the different color palette(s) and the possibilities.

Edited by Trebor
  • Like 1

Cool video, Bob. And nice to see some color palette changes. I tried the demos under ProSystem - Just in case it was a MESS thing (Although I doubted it, since the MESS palette especially with HLSL adjustments looks fantastic), but still came up with the darker shades for clouds and the 'browner' forest (Which wasn't a bad thing, IMHO - looks more like the fall/autumn).

post-18-0-96461900-1336820621_thumb.pngpost-18-0-65660300-1336820632_thumb.png

Speaking of which, perhaps that can be a way to add more levels/difficulty. After cycling though the first 10 levels, another set of the same levels with a palette swap, including the same or different enemies just with more difficult with their speed and timing.

Although the Ghosts and the Zombie Heads are already a PIA ;)

Or perhaps similar to Mario Levels where there are four levels to each section. Level 1-1 is Spring, Level 1-2 is Summer, Level 1-3 is Fall, Level 1-4 Winter -

For the castle section - 3-1 is "Land" castle, 3-2 is "Fire" castle, 3-3 is "Wind" castle, 3-4 is "Ice" castle. Perhaps the witch appears at the end of each castle level (?)

Of course the reality is calling for a total of 40 levels (If sticking with a 10 unique section design), which obviously is a hell of a lot easier to type than implement..lol. Again, thoughts were just triggered seeing the different color palette(s) and the possibilities.

...great idea :)

Or alternatively, a long epic journey.

For example:

forest level 1-1 is dawn

forest level 1-2 is days

forest level 1-3 is sunset

forest level 1-4 is night

:roll:

Or alternatively, a long epic journey.

For example:

forest level 1-1 is dawn

forest level 1-2 is days

forest level 1-3 is sunset

forest level 1-4 is night

Cool...I like this too. :thumbsup:

But again, a lot easier for any of us to state than Bob to implement. I'm thrilled to just have what we've received so far. :-D

Too bad there's no 7800 emulator on Mac. :(

http://www.macmess.org/ No?

EDIT: You'll probably be interested in this as well: http://forums.bannis...&Board=8&page=1

Compile? SDL framework? Frontend?

:_(

I guess I could reboot into Windows, but that's a real pain just to run an emulator.

I'm using OS X 10.5.8 on a G5. I can play 7800 games on SDLMESS 0.132 with Q MESS Cat II as a front-end.

QMC2 Download Page

http://qmc2.arcadehits.net/wordpress/download/

MacMESS - Contains link to a precompiled Universal version of SDLMESS 0.132

http://www.macmess.org/

..for the enthusiasm, I forgot to thank PAC-MAN RED ..

(Illya, I love your sprites accurate!) :)

Marco

Thank you very much. :) The majority of the Background and Sprite work is mine, but Bob has done a bit of work on them as well. There's still quite a bit of work to do, and with suggestions and ideas from people, things could change during the course of it's development.

Illya

..for the enthusiasm, I forgot to thank PAC-MAN RED ..

(Illya, I love your sprites accurate!) :)

Marco

Thank you very much. :) The majority of the Background and Sprite work is mine, but Bob has done a bit of work on them as well. There's still quite a bit of work to do, and with suggestions and ideas from people, things could change during the course of it's development.

Illya

They look fantastic, Red. Excellent job. You and Bob certainly have outdone yourselves, and please take your time - both of you, with development. It's been over 20 years since the 7800 received this kind of game ('Scraps" I believe is a 1990 title); dependent on the XM to whatever extent - use whatever resources and we will patiently await the end results. :)