IGNORED

What's your biggest, "What the... it's worth that much?" moment.

Lendorien

For me it was just the other day.

I own the Star Trek Action Pack collection on CD-rom for PC. It contains Elite Force and its add-on as well as Star Trek Armada I and II. Well, I happened to go on wikipedia's page for Armada ii and spot a line that states the game goes for a lot on e-bay. So at a whim I look up the action pack... which I bought from the bargain bin form 20 or so dollars some years ago.

What I found? For just the discs, 100 dollars. More if it's in the original box.

What the heck?!

Anyone else have some surprise moments of that nature?

Edited by Lendorien

Quite a number of years ago something like that happened to me. I was looking on ebay for a FFVII guide book to get my little brother for his birthday. When I did my intial search I added an extra "I" to the search by mistake and it pulled up FFVIII guides. For some reason every single one listed was $50+ and there were people actually bidding on them. I had the same guide and only paid $5 for it in a clearance bin. I was very tempted to sell but didn't since I didn't really need the money. A quick look right now shows that they are selling for no where near that anymore for whatever reason. The only other moment like that I've had was when I was trying to find a poster from the band Isis online, its a specific on done by one of my favorite artists and was from their Shades of the Swarm tour. Shades of the Swarm also happens to be the name of a record box set they had released around the same time. People were paying at the time I stumbled upon it on ebay double what they cost from the label to get them new. And thats no small chunk of change either since they retailed for $250. 0_o Again I was VERY tempted to sell it.

My original Sega Genesis/CD combo came from a family friend, and included a bunch of games. One, Popful Mail, was a favorite of my father, my brother, and I. When my brother stepped on and scratched our original copy (first disc I remember trying to resurface), we headed to eBay. This was in the early 2000s, and even then I remember being baffled how much copies were going for. I bought a sealed one for *I think* $70, and stupidly unwrapped and tossed the strategy guide offer away.

Nowadays, that game goes for $80 complete. Sealed is a totally different story. It's funny and sad because it's easily one of my favorite games of all time.

Sold a bible in .. shit, what language was it.. Urdu. To a used bookseller, got ten bucks for it, and overheard him jovially note that copies in worse shape had brought a grand online.

Also, paid .50 for a really rare beatles single.. thinking of selling it soon. Knew it was worth money at the time, but not as much as it was.

My dad is an antique dealer and junkman, so I am used to the idea of "this thing cost a dollar but is worth 300".

I remembered two more at reading the book related posts. The first was when I looked up my Copy of Skunk Works: A Personal Memoir of My Years at Lockheed out of curiosity to see what sort of reviews people gave it. At the time the book had been long out of print and it was selling for between $50 and $100+ for a used copy. I love the book so I obviously didn't sell it, they are no longer worth anything though since a paperback reprint came out recently and sent the price of the book plummeting. The other book one is much worse. I was at a used book store browsing, as usual when I shop for books I read the backs, titles that sound interesting I snap a photo of their cover and look them up later to see if they are actually worth reading. Which I did so a couple days later, figuring that anything that sold I could just buy new... Nope! One of those books was Sled Driver: Flying the World's Fastest Aeroplane and as you can see from the link they are VERY expensive books, as soon as I saw what they were worth(it also happened to sound like a very interesting read) I rushed back as fast as I could but alas it was gone. :( I missed out on buying it for next to nothing.

Megaman Legends 2 and Misadventures of Tron Bonne are worth quite a bit, I've found out. $80-120 each depending on condition. Their strategy guides seem to be worth quite a bit more than the $8 I paid, too.

I recently found out I've got a Monster in My Pocket figure stuffed away that's worth around $100.

About 10 years ago I picked up a bunch of Master System games at a pawn shop in my hometown. It was pretty unusual to find anything there predating the 16-bit era, and they were only $3 each so I was excited.

Among the games was Out Run 3-D in its box. I recall posting a "brag" about it on RGVC and getting some rather impressed responses. I'm not even exactly sure what it would fetch -- not much more than $30 or so, I'm guessing -- but it's pretty uncommon just the same. Incidentally I still have it, but I've yet to acquire a set of SegaScope glasses so I've never actually had the "full" experience.

Megaman Legends 2 and Misadventures of Tron Bonne are worth quite a bit, I've found out. $80-120 each depending on condition.=

Wow I always thought it was just MoTB that was valuble, I didn't realize MML2 was worth much as well, glad I bought that one when it was still in stores. I still need to play MoTB though, it looks fun.

A couple of years ago I managed to get Snatcher for the Sega CD for only $5 at Play N Trade. I remember reading either a small article or thread on it being a good game and decided to pick it up. When I got home I searched on ebay just to see how much it was worth and was stunned to see it for $100 - $150.

I haven't uncovered any surprise diamonds in my collections, but I have unearthed a few nice rubies or sapphires.

I have the original CD release of the Who Framed Roger Rabbit soundtrack. At least as of maybe five years ago, that one was getting pretty hard to find, and a collector's guide had it listed for $25. Not bad considering I paid about $15 for it new.

Another CD gem: A while back I found Al Stewart's Rhymes in Rooms, a sort of "Unplugged" release he did with Peter White. After listening I decided not to keep it, and I put it on eBay. It went for $13 plus shipping.

Pretty much everything else I have I know its worth, and often have the receipt to prove it. :)

A few of the computer items i have gotten over the years are worth a bit. My Northstar Horizon in the wooden case I see sell for around 300-500 on Ebay, got that from someone for 50 dollars. I got a nice Mac 512K with an external hard drive for 10 at a yard sale. I'm guessing that is worth around 150 or so. I also got an Atari TT030 from my old favorite thrift store (long gone) for 10 dollars. Monitor, keyboard, and main unit. I guess that would be around a 300-500 dollar item on ebay.

When I started looking at the prices of some of my old games like Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar (CIB w/cloth maps, ankh, manual) and seeing it was selling for over $100... and then realizing I have probably 20 other RPGs from that era too in their boxes. It's cool to know people still appreciate those classics games.

I have many new wave/punk vinyl singles that I paid $5 (or less) for in the late 80's/early 90's that now command upwards of $75 or more. When everyone was ditching their records for CD's, it was hard to find anything but the most obscure pressings in the used racks for more than $3-$5. Except the record stores on Haight in San Fran - their prices have always sucked. :?

I have many new wave/punk vinyl singles that I paid $5 (or less) for in the late 80's/early 90's that now command upwards of $75 or more. When everyone was ditching their records for CD's, it was hard to find anything but the most obscure pressings in the used racks for more than $3-$5. Except the record stores on Haight in San Fran - their prices have always sucked. :?

annnnd what are they?

Bought an Odyssey^2 game with a Japanese-language sticker on the spine at a flea market, for two bucks. I almost pulled the sticker off, thinking it was some Japanese guy's homemade deal. It turned out to be an actual Japanese release, and no other Japanese copy of this particular game (Hockey/Soccer) had ever been seen. I got an offer of $250 for it, but the guy didn't follow through. I ended up selling it to someone else for considerably less, but still a very nice sum for a truly terrible game (Hockey/Soccer is very likely the worst Odyssey^2 game).

I also bought the 2-LP version of Low's album "The Curtain Hits The Cast" from a record dealer back in 1997 or so; I had to borrow money from a friend to get the $15 (might've even just been $10), but I really wanted it and knew there weren't many around. Nowadays it sells for over $100.