IGNORED

PAL Amigas in the US?

MoreBITS

Hi everyone,

I am looking to add another Amiga to my collection. I have an old A500 from childhood, but i have always wanted to have a hard drive with it.

I am leaning towards an A1200, but all theAmigas seem to be scarce and expensive in the US.

I have a family member coming in for the Holidays from Europe and could have one brought over.

What challenges will I face having an Amiga from the UK or Germany? The outlet plug and keyboards are obviously different, and I assume it wont hook up to an NTSC TV without an adapter.

Anything else?

Any suggestions on what to look for as far as versions or features?

Power and video are your only issues.

You can just get a standard U.S. PSU (Amiga 500 or 1200) for it.

The AC inputs are different, but the Amiga itself is expecting the same DC voltages coming from the brick.

As for video, you need a TV/monitor that accepts PAL.

TV's, that is really hit and miss. Mostly miss.. ;-(

If you get an RGB monitor (ala 1084S), you're gold.

Otherwise you could get lucky with an Amiga-VGA adapter/cable and an LCD monitor. Some do work with 15khz and PAL, but again, that's real hit/miss.

Or, if you can find one, a FlickerFixer/Scandoubler will let you use most VGA monitors.

Personally, I have an NTSC Amiga 1200 and a 1084s monitor and that plays PAL games fine...

But they are a bit harder to find here.. Took me a few months to find one at a decent price..

desiv

Edited by desiv
  • Like 1

I'm not sure..

But I think I can test it sort of...

I have an s-video adapter for my Amiga that can also output PAL, so if I pop it on my Amiga and output PAL composite to the 1084s, I should be able to test it...

(I've only tried PAL in RGB on the 1084s before)

If I get some time tomorrow, I'll give it a shot; being thanksgiving tho (and I'm cooking), not sure if I'll have time...

But I'll test it...

desiv

Edited by desiv

Thanks for the reply, a lot of the newer AC adapters automatically step up or down the incoming voltage.

From what I have read the A1200 PS is really too weak for the system anyway, so I might use my A500, or modify an ATX power supply.

I found this page that implies that the PAL thing is really just a setting that is adjustable. I have an old multi sync monitor from my A500, but I would like to use an LCD.

http://amiga.nvg.org/amiga/amigafaq/AmigaFAQ_20.html

Thanks for the feedback, it at least sounds like it isn't a terribly stupid idea :)

Thanks for the reply, a lot of the newer AC adapters automatically step up or down the incoming voltage.

The Amiga ones don't, but if you've got an A500 PSU, you're good.

From what I have read the A1200 PS is really too weak for the system anyway, so I might use my A500, or modify an ATX power supply.

The 500 PSU is better (more AMPs) and a converted ATX better still.

Someone I've seen from time to time sells converted laptop PSUs, that look pretty kual. Smaller and more AMPs, but the ones I've see are black.

Anyway, the A1200 PSU (if it's not a little extra weak from age) is plenty enough for an Amiga 1200, even with a laptop 2.5" IDE HD.

Better when you convert that to a CF card...

The real issue comes when you want to add an accelerator/RAM and then 1 or 2 or ? extra floppies, Subway USB card, Indivision flicker fixer, etc...

Not sure why they scaled down the PSU when they released it.

(Well, I know why, cheap b@st@rds!!!! er.. sorry.. ;-)

I found this page that implies that the PAL thing is really just a setting that is adjustable.

If you are using RGB, then PAL on the 1200 is totally adjustable and there is no trouble.

If you are using composite or s-video, then the 1200 is still adjustable, but the TV (or other display device) might not like it.

Also, there is a thread on EAB (If I can find it, I'll post a link), where some people are having pretty good results with a $40 RGB to VGA adapter routinely sold on e-bay. I don't remember the exact success ratio, and you do have to make your own cable, but fairly affordable..

desiv

Edited by desiv

Just a little note: Once you have the power issue down, with am Amiga-comp. monitor, or a flicker-fixer/scan-doubler... as has been said.. you are GOLDEN. All the RGB and composite monitors, and a few oddball US- or Canadian TV's... I have ever tried...... can handle PAL.. no probs....even the ancient C= 1702 !! :D

Listenin' to MODS on my 20" Toshiba TIMM right now.. lols. Got tired of playing Theatre of Death! lol

Edited by marcfrick2112