IGNORED

A guy on DP thinks VCS games are all homebrews

high voltage

Especially games released by Tigervision, Apollo, Avalon Hill and even Sparrow.

He also disses Air Raid, Birthday Mania, Red Sea Crossing, Extra Terrestrial, saying they were made in someone's garage, and the industry wasn't professionalised by 82/83.

http://www.digitpres...t=158177&page=3

Even when talking about computers he obviously never heard of Microprose, Origin, EA, Sir-Tech, Synapse....etc.

Edited by high voltage

He's only comparing it to the juggernaut that Nintendo became in the next generation. Which is unfair. They were professionalized, even if it doesn't appear to be so compared to what followed them even less than a decade later.

Now I don't bother to argue with that attitude. I'd just add his ignorant person to my ignore list. :P

Are you kidding me? Did you even read the posts in the thread? I'm one of the two "guys" who posted these "controversial" opinions and both of us made it clear that it's just our personal opinion. At no point did I call out specific companies and I certainly don't think Avalon Hill, Tigervision or Apollo were selling homebrews. They had actual store distribution, marketing, professional packaging, etc.... All I said is that at the point after which the industry had been well established, people like the purported "company" behind Extra Terrestrials were basically selling homebrews. They had no marketing, a lack of professional packaging and they were essentially getting their merchandise on store shelves by doing so on consignment if at all. As I further explained, it's like the guys at the local computer store I frequented in 1985-1987 who were programming their own games, sticking them in plastic bags with dot matrix printed labels and instructions. If they had done that in 1978, it would have been consistent with the way commercial games were being sold. Doing that in 1985 long after actual large publishers existed makes them not commercial products, but something less than that.

• Like 2

All I said is that at the point after which the industry had been well established, people like the purported "company" behind Extra Terrestrials were basically selling homebrews. They had no marketing, a lack of professional packaging and they were essentially getting their merchandise on store shelves by doing so on consignment if at all.

The company that created Extra Terrestrials, Skill Screen Games was created as a games division of a company called Telcom Research. Telcom Research is a successful company that started in 1968 and is still around today. Check out their website at http://www.telcomresearch.com/. The effort to produce Extra Terrestrials cost the company tens of thousands of dollars. A professional programmer named Herman Quast was hired and paid to reverse engineer 2600 games and to create a new game. I have met Herman personally. He still works as a programmer doing work on embedded systems. Herman disassembled 2600 games to determine how the system worked and how to create new games. Skill Screen Games spent $15,000 to create molds and tooling in order to produce their first game. I'm told that the molds are still packed away somewhere at Telcom Research. Professionally printed labels, manuals and boxes were created for the game. Unfortunately none of the manuals and boxes are known to still exist.

Due to numerous problems, the company did not get Extra Terrestrials finished in time for the 1983 Christmas season. By the time the game was completed in early 1984 the video game market had crashed. As a result, major distributors refused to work with Skill Screen Games to distribute their first product. In an attempt to recover their investment, the owners of the company tried selling the games directly to local game retailers. As the 2600 market had collapsed, very few stores purchased copies of the game.

So I certainly wouldn't call Extra Terrestrials a "homebrew". Skill Screen Games did what most other companies did - they reverse engineered the 2600 and created their own games. Professional packaging and marketing was planned. They were just too late.

So is the first Apple considered a homebrew computer since it was created in Jobs garage? :ponder:

Weren't the Steves in the "Homebrew Computer Club" at the time they created the Apple I in Jobs' garage?

Could be. I'm not up on my Apple history to be honest. It just seems to me that this whole argument about what is or isn't a homebrew to be disingenuous in suggesting that the location, budget, and/or number of people involved somehow devalues a companies product.

• Like 3

You realize that a lot of people on dp post or atleast read on here too... you're not safe talking trash from one forum to another... were actually a pretty tightly knit community... so next time if you think someones wrong don't go crying to another forum, talk to them head on

Except I wasn't talking 'rubbish', and maybe I was talking 'head-on'. How would you know?

• Like 1

All I said is that at the point after which the industry had been well established, people like the purported "company" behind Extra Terrestrials were basically selling homebrews. They had no marketing, a lack of professional packaging and they were essentially getting their merchandise on store shelves by doing so on consignment if at all.

The company that created Extra Terrestrials, Skill Screen Games was created as a games division of a company called Telcom Research. Telcom Research is a successful company that started in 1968 and is still around today. Check out their website at http://www.telcomresearch.com/. The effort to produce Extra Terrestrials cost the company tens of thousands of dollars. A professional programmer named Herman Quast was hired and paid to reverse engineer 2600 games and to create a new game. I have met Herman personally. He still works as a programmer doing work on embedded systems. Herman disassembled 2600 games to determine how the system worked and how to create new games. Skill Screen Games spent $15,000 to create molds and tooling in order to produce their first game. I'm told that the molds are still packed away somewhere at Telcom Research. Professionally printed labels, manuals and boxes were created for the game. Unfortunately none of the manuals and boxes are known to still exist.

Due to numerous problems, the company did not get Extra Terrestrials finished in time for the 1983 Christmas season. By the time the game was completed in early 1984 the video game market had crashed. As a result, major distributors refused to work with Skill Screen Games to distribute their first product. In an attempt to recover their investment, the owners of the company tried selling the games directly to local game retailers. As the 2600 market had collapsed, very few stores purchased copies of the game.

So I certainly wouldn't call Extra Terrestrials a "homebrew". Skill Screen Games did what most other companies did - they reverse engineered the 2600 and created their own games. Professional packaging and marketing was planned. They were just too late.

$15.000, exactly what every homebrewer has in his/her pocket ;-)

Edited by high voltage

You realize that a lot of people on dp post or atleast read on here too... you're not safe talking trash from one forum to another... were actually a pretty tightly knit community... so next time if you think someones wrong don't go crying to another forum, talk to them head on

Except I wasn't talking 'rubbish', and maybe I was talking 'head-on'. How would you know?

Listen here I can stand for a lot of things but region phrase intolerance is not one of them... you may call garbage rubbish but I call it trash... you need to take some tolerance classes buddy...

Listen here I can stand for a lot of things but region phrase intolerance is not one of them... you may call garbage rubbish but I call it trash... you need to take some tolerance classes buddy...

:lol:

Excuse me now whilst I go fetch some vintage gaming rubbish from the loft so I can bin it. Oh, there's some things in the cupboard that need binning also. May have to rent a lorry and go straight to the dump come to think of it. :rolling:

Edited by save2600

Excuse me now whilst I go fetch some vintage gaming rubbish from the loft so I can bin it. Oh, there's some things in the cupboard that need binning also. May have to rent a lorry and go straight to the dump come to think of it.

Im unfamiliar with a "lorry" now I guess im the one that's regional phrase ignorant... D:

Excuse me now whilst I go fetch some vintage gaming rubbish from the loft so I can bin it. Oh, there's some things in the cupboard that need binning also. May have to rent a lorry and go straight to the dump come to think of it.

Im unfamiliar with a "lorry" now I guess im the one that's regional phrase ignorant... D:

Not bad but we Brits take garbage to the 'tip'

Not bad but we Brits take garbage to the 'tip'

The tip of what??? :D... sorry but after years of rejecting them I've started to enjoy using emodicons, so now I use them whenever I can...