IGNORED

New to Xbox

GruBBworM

That 4GB is just built in memory, the system also has a slot for a HDD, and USB ports with thumbdrive support.

You can get thumbdrives most any electronics store, or electronics at Walmart. Keep in mind, not all thumb drives will work. Some of them are "to slow" according o the Xbox (though I haven't seen a place where this seems to matter) Also, the biggest one you can use is 16GB. You can put a bigger one in the Xbox if you want to, but the Xbox will only use 16 GB of it (though you can use the rest for your music or whatever) Also, keep in mind, whatever you have on the USB drive will be lost when you have the Xbox format it, and the Xbox has it's own format that won't work on a computer so you'll need to make sure to move stuff you want to keep on the drive to a computer before having the Xbox format it.

You can get an Xbox hard drive too, they are very expensive for the size, ($120 for a $250GB) but you need a HDD if you wish to install a game to the HDD, the thunb stick won't work for that. Most games will run faster if you install them, and even if not, it saves wear and tear on the DVD drive, and the system runs quieter and cooler if it's running a HDD. You'll still need the disc for the games though, if you install them as the system will want to "verify" that you have the game each time you restart it.

Anyhow, Welcome to Xbox, What kind of games do you like and we'll try to get you started.

• Like 1

even though you'll get a warning that your flash drive is too slow for the Xbox, it will work. but trust me, you will not want to use that 8GB flash drive you got for free after rebate. Use a fast flash drive or don't use a flash drive. Using my 16 GB drive that I picked up for $8 was a nightmare even for just reading my Xbox Live gamertag profile.

get an Xbox hard drive if you can. or get fast flash drives. I picked up a microsoft refurbished 60 GB drive at gamestop for $25 (on sale). and you can use the old 360 hard drives on the new 360S systems. just remove the external casing and put in the bare drive. or if you don't like the looseness, buy a cheap caddy for the hard drive so that it doesn't move around.

you can install games to the flash drive but if the flash drive is slow, you'll hate yourself. pretty much all games can use the flash drive and install to it. even Halo Reach has full functionality with flash drives now.

• Like 1

Did microsoft outlaw 3rd party HDD's on the 360 or what? I can't recall ever seen an off-brand HDD for that thing. I hated paying what I payed for my 120gb a few years back, I think it was $150, but it seemed like I had no choice but to pay that if I wanted that much space. It was the largest drive at the time.

There's no way to manufacture a legitimate 3rd party hard drive for the system since it's more than just a hard drive, it contains things such as a unique serial number that is required if it's going to be recognized by the 360. There's no way for a 3rd party to provide that on a new hard drive without violating copyright law.

However, there's no shortage of unofficial hard drives for the Xbox 360. They pretty much look just like official units though, so the vast majority of those that have purchased a knock-off are unaware it isn't official. Most really good deals that you'll find on something like a 250 gig HD on a site like Ebay are these knockoffs.

And that's precisely why they're never going to ban systems based on duplicate hard drive serial numbers (Pirates will buy an official flash drive and copy the contents on to their new hard drives, so there can be thousands of hard drives out there with the same unique identity). Banning those systems for all sharing the same hard drive identity would just punish unsuspecting consumers that thought they were buying a legitimate accessory and drive them away from the 360.

even though you'll get a warning that your flash drive is too slow for the Xbox, it will work

I had an extremely cheap flash drive that I wanted to use to do something on my 360 that required removing my hard drive (I had an issue with an achievement and the most recent patch for Grid and had to do this to workaround that so I could delete patch 3, which broke the achievement, so I'd be able to legitimately win that achievement). It failed the test and simply wouldn't work as a 360 storage device. So that's not necessarily true.

Ended up having to format a Sandisk memory stick instead for it. Still haven't figured out how to reformat that for normal PC use. Someday, I'll figure out how to do it...

Edited by Atariboy

even though you'll get a warning that your flash drive is too slow for the Xbox, it will work

I had an extremely cheap flash drive that I wanted to use to do something on my 360 that required removing my hard drive (I had an issue with an achievement and the most recent patch for Grid and had to do this to workaround that so I could delete patch 3, which broke the achievement, so I'd be able to legitimately win that achievement). It failed the test and simply wouldn't work as a 360 storage device. So that's not necessarily true.

Ended up having to format a Sandisk memory stick instead for it. Still haven't figured out how to reformat that for normal PC use. Someday, I'll figure out how to do it...

good to know. then I've been very fortunate as all of my flash drives have worked with varying degrees of success (PQI 8 GB, PQI 16 GB (different model and size), Kingston 1GB, Kingston 4GB (diff model and size), Simpletech (and a couple other generic Chinese drives), Sony, Corsair, Sandisk, and PNY).

to return it for PC use, you do it through the 360's memory management tools.

Edited by onlysublime