IGNORED

Grrrr

Inky

I also hope tntbecker isn't an AA member. I was winning a missle command auction for $1 with 2 minutes to go AND THE PECKERWOOD DROVE IT UP TO $14!!!!!!!

I stupidly wouldn't let him have it.

The auctions I was involved inm SHOULD have cost me no more than $15 sans shipping, but now I'M IN IT FOR $40 FREAKING BUCKS! THANKS ASSWIPES!

I was bidding on lot of Atari games and just today found out that 2 other people had bid on it.

I hope they don't steal this auction from under my feet. It wouldn't be fair as I was the first bidder on it.

Doesn't anyone have ethics anymore?

I was bidding on lot of Atari games and just today found out that 2 other people had bid on it.

I hope they don't steal this auction from under my feet. It wouldn't be fair as I was the first bidder on it.

I hate snipers just as much as anyone, but isn't the point of putting something on an auction site to get the most money for it? How is it unethical to bid on an auction?

??? :? ???

Uhm, eBay is an auction site. :ponder:

when I buy, I snipe!

Absolutely! Snipers of the world unite!

The one thing I don't do is use eSnipe or any other sniping service. I figure it's part of the game that if I forget to snipe it's my own fault I lost.

That's what I do, if I'm too lazy to snipe it, then I don't deserve to win :P .

And no, I don't see anything wrong with sniping, it's all part of the game.

And why would it mean somebody doesn't have ethics if they outbid you Kepone? I'm sure you have outbid somebody else before...

I'll have you know that I still have 0 feedback..because my Colecovison that I bought on EBay from BadBrad still hasn't arrived. Hopefully, it will go up after that.

I try and send email to the seller before bidding. I have been rejected I was bidding on a 7800 in Hawaii and the guy turned down my bid. I couldn't disagree with him but at the same time, all he had to do was send an email explaining WHY.

I'll have you know that I still have 0 feedback..because my Colecovison that I bought on EBay from BadBrad still hasn't arrived. Hopefully, it will go up after that.

I try and send email to the seller before bidding. I have been rejected I was bidding on a 7800 in Hawaii and the guy turned down my bid. I couldn't disagree with him but at the same time, all he had to do was send an email explaining WHY.

I always post that bidders with 0 feedback will be e-mailed to VALIDATE their bids. I won't cancel indiscriminately; just if I don't get a response or if I get an unintelligent one that implies somebody just out for mischief.

The trick is to never bid more than you are willing to pay. And only do it at the last moment! NEVER bid early in an auction!

I don't know about that. If I see an item that already has a bid on it, I'm less likely to try for it because I know I'll have some competition.

I think casting the first bid on an item prevents a lot of "opportunistic buying," seeing if you can put down the minimum bid and get it for that. They know that they'll have to overcome your proxy bid if they want to put a bid on it.

Bottom Line, It should go to the highest bidder even if that bid comes in at the last few minutes or even seconds ! I have kept from being snipped, just put in a high bid, but no more than you are willing to pay !

Usually when I loose an auction, I can win the same item later for a lower price. The only exception would be the items that just never show up. Quadrun, Glib, Swordquest Waterworld and other rare Atari games do show up fairly regularly.

I understand your frustration, but it is an auction. :P

Bottom Line, It should go to the highest bidder even if that bid comes in at the last few minutes or even seconds ! I have kept from being snipped, just put in a high bid, but no more than you are willing to pay !  

Usually when I loose an auction, I can win the same item later for a lower price. The only exception would be the items that just never show up. Quadrun, Glib, Swordquest Waterworld and other rare Atari games do show up fairly regularly.  

I understand your frustration, but it is an auction.  :P

And that's why sniping was invented. If you bid what you think is a fair market price, you'll lose at the last second by somebody who put in a large bid that goes $1 higher. If you don't bid at all though, wait until the last second and bid the absolute MOST you'd be willing to pay, you'll either get the high bid and win or not and you won't regret losing. I hate to say it but when it comes to HTF games sniping is the only way to win if you're really serious about getting them, and if you wait until the last minute people often underestimate what it takes to win and you'll get it for much less than your "most willing" amount. I sniped a Buster Douglas Boxing for SMS with $50 at the last second and it went for $2.99. :D

I see nothing wrong with sniping. It definitely adds to the "adrenaline factor" as a buyer. I do think the the people who are out bidding Inky sound insane though. $14 for missile command??

I downloaded Auction Sentry from download.com. This is a slick little package and it only costs $10 to register it. I've only used it once, and I still lost, but at least I got to bed on time :D You can set it up to bid at a certain time, or to snipe with XX seconds to go. With my cable connection and a little testing it looks like I could reliably have it snipe with under 10 seconds to go. I think it's pretty cool, although if everyone starts to use one it might get ugly.

There's nothing better as a seller to have 3 or 4 snipers who start with 1 or 2 minutes to go. The bidding can get really stupid sometimes as people just refuse to lose.

I have to agree "Sniping rules" With thta being said I have won by the sword and died many a time by the sword. He who has the most $$$ wins, that is the golden rule in life so why shouldn't it apply on Epay.

I mean when I was new to ebay I got into biddign wars with people over every damn thing doing nothing more than driving up the price. Then I started just laying back and sniping (normally 30 sec or less). I put in my max and just try. If it isn't enough oooohhhh well there will be another one another day, and that one wasn't meant to be mine.

I just don't understand the whole sniping is wrong mentality? But that is why there is Chocolate ice cream and Strawberry, something for everyone.