IGNORED

My programming idea for the 2600! :)

jhorn

Hey everyone! - I'm new to the atariage forums, if you haven't read my post in the introductions: I'm Josh, I'm 25 and I live in Texas. I've done a bit of programming before, mainly BASIC, PERL and x86 Assembly. Seeing as the Atari 2600, is nothing more than a computer, (as is every gaming console really) I thought about something. I've worked with tiny homebrew Assembly operating systems, I've written a few kernels myself too. I wondered, would it be possible to write a tiny OS for the 2600 in DASM? Could you program it to use the keypad controller as a "keyboard" and actually have a working kernel with a tiny tiny command line interface? Well, with the space limitations on the ROM, and limitations of RAM and CPU speed, it's limited, but I have worked with kernels that are only 5kb or so in size.

So my idea is, a tiny kernel (os) written in DASM called "ata-OS" ("A Tiny Atari Operating System")

Will use:

keypad controller as a "keyboard" input device, or the standard joystick for a task "selection" menu

CLI or simple menu driven system if space allows (for joystick)

Comments, suggestions? :)

Hey everyone! - I'm new to the atariage forums, if you haven't read my post in the introductions: I'm Josh, I'm 25 and I live in Texas. I've done a bit of programming before, mainly BASIC, PERL and x86 Assembly. Seeing as the Atari 2600, is nothing more than a computer, (as is every gaming console really) I thought about something. I've worked with tiny homebrew Assembly operating systems, I've written a few kernels myself too. I wondered, would it be possible to write a tiny OS for the 2600 in DASM? Could you program it to use the keypad controller as a "keyboard" and actually have a working kernel with a tiny tiny command line interface? Well, with the space limitations on the ROM, and limitations of RAM and CPU speed, it's limited, but I have worked with kernels that are only 5kb or so in size.

So my idea is, a tiny kernel (os) written in DASM called "ata-OS" ("A Tiny Atari Operating System")

Will use:

keypad controller as a "keyboard" input device, or the standard joystick for a task "selection" menu

CLI or simple menu driven system if space allows (for joystick)

Comments, suggestions? :)

There is a homebrew of an "Atari OS" around. It had a windows like interface... but it wasnt finished. Id be curious to see what you could come up with. Perhaps it could trigger an external device... or even work like the compumate.