IGNORED

Wii and 3DS see record Black Friday Sales

atarian63

Well, I don't think you can accurately use Black Friday sales to gauge overall or future performance.

Consumers spend $52 BILLION......

Black Friday: $52 Billion for Stores, Big Credit Card Bills for Us

......on Black Friday weekend. They don't do that everyday. Nintendo had a good weekend, and so did Mr. Coffee. However, Mr. Coffee sales will probably return to what they were.

No discrete portable gaming system is EVER going to do what the DS did, in sales. There are just too many competing devices that allow gaming. I know all the criticisms of the games on those devices, but it's casual gamers and certainly not "us" fanatics that drove the phenomenal DS sales, and those folks are a whole lot more satisfied playing Angry Birds on a cellphone than I would be. I prefer the discrete handheld gaming unit, but what I choose and the masses choose are different.

I know that both our local Walmart and Kmart are entirely sold out of 3DS systems. And I see that they are once again not available on Amazon (except at inflated prices from 3rd parties).

So it looks like people are buying them, whether its because of the release of Mario 3D & Mario Kart or because its Christmas time or both, and Nintendo has to be happy.

Mendon

I dunno, 500k units in a day.. 360 took a month to do 1 mil.

360 did over 800k on black Friday alone. About 1 million that week.

Wii sales actually dropped from last year, while 360 and PS3 sales were up. A 41% increase in PS3 sales were not enough to get it out of 3rd place though.

Amazon was sold out of some 3ds stuff over Thanksgiving weekend, I tried to buy the new Mario game but it was sold out. The local Gamestop had plenty though, and for the same price Amazon had.... ~$40.

I will probably get a couple more 3DS units to play multiplayer Mario Kart if the game is decent.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-57336536-17/xbox-360-outsells-wii-by-400000-units-in-november-analyst-says/?tag=TOCmoreStories.0

Of course the 3DS is sold out. After all, there were massive holiday sales. Plus, just like the original Game Boy, every snot-faced kid under 14-years-old has been whining to their parents to get one for Christmas.

However, suggesting that holiday sales have made the 3DS successful and put Nintendo back on top is somewhat naive. Is it really necessary to remind everyone that "top holiday sellers" often don't translate to permanent success? Nintendo has a long way to go before they are #1 again. There are over 250 million iOS devices out there, even more Androids. Like it or not, those are already the most successful gaming platforms and it's unlikely we'll see Nintendo ever having the same success again that they did with the DS. It isn't 2004 anymore.

Of course the 3DS is sold out. After all, there were massive holiday sales. Plus, just like the original Game Boy, every snot-faced kid under 14-years-old has been whining to their parents to get one for Christmas.

However, suggesting that holiday sales have made the 3DS successful and put Nintendo back on top is somewhat naive. Is it really necessary to remind everyone that "top holiday sellers" often don't translate to permanent success? Nintendo has a long way to go before they are #1 again. There are over 250 million iOS devices out there, even more Androids. Like it or not, those are already the most successful gaming platforms and it's unlikely we'll see Nintendo ever having the same success again that they did with the DS. It isn't 2004 anymore.

Really, naive is not knowing history. Same thing happened with the DS and Holiday sales WERE indicative of system performance. Nintendo still is #1.. get a clue

Worldwide console sales

Wii at 91M Xbox360 at 59.9 Ps3 at 56.9 and expected to surpass 360 by mid 2012. http://www.vgchartz.com/

Not to mention the #1 selling title this week is a Wii title Zelda Skyward. and #4 Just dance. Seems like they are doing very well! It would be quite a long time before either ps3 or 360 cathes up if ever.

Really, naive is not knowing history. Same thing happened with the DS and Holiday sales WERE indicative of system performance. Nintendo still is #1.. get a clue

Worldwide console sales

Wii at 91M Xbox360 at 59.9 Ps3 at 56.9 and expected to surpass 360 by mid 2012. http://www.vgchartz.com/

Not to mention the #1 selling title this week is a Wii title Zelda Skyward. and #4 Just dance. Seems like they are doing very well! It would be quite a long time before either ps3 or 360 cathes up if ever.

250 million iOS devices sold since 2007

150 million Nintendo DS handhelds sold since 2004

91 million Nintendo Wii consoles sold since 2006

So... not only have the iOS devices outsold both the DS and Wii put together, but they did it in even less time. Like it or not, those are the figures. I was simply stating that with current trends, with most people gaming on smartphones, it is unlikely that the 3DS or PS Vita will ever see the massive handheld sales figures experiences by Nintendo with the DS.

As for Nintendo no longer being on top, they have record losses this year: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/story/2011-10-27/nintendo-earnings/50954118/1. Holiday sales will no doubt help somewhat, but it extremely unlikely that selling a few hundred thousand 3DS handhelds will make up for a $925 million loss from the first 6 months of this year. Like it or not, those are the figures.

Worldwide console sales

250 million iOS devices sold since 2007

150 million Nintendo DS handhelds sold since 2004

91 million Nintendo Wii consoles sold since 2006

So... not only have the iOS devices outsold both the DS and Wii put together, but they did it in even less time. Like it or not, those are the figures. I was simply stating that with current trends, with most people gaming on smartphones, it is unlikely that the 3DS or PS Vita will ever see the massive handheld sales figures experiences by Nintendo with the DS.

As for Nintendo no longer being on top, they have record losses this year: http://www.usatoday....ings/50954118/1. Holiday sales will no doubt help somewhat, but it extremely unlikely that selling a few hundred thousand 3DS handhelds will make up for a $925 million loss from the first 6 months of this year. Like it or not, those are the figures.

It's a phone, not a gaming platform, not to mention there are even more Android O/S phone than ios . none of that makes much difference.

As for the loss, not much of a deal considering how much they made over many years, were 360 and ps3 lost money for years.

It seems highly likely 3ds with take of much like the original DS did. Gaming on a phone sucks. Fine at the airport, not s good for serious gaming.

Gaming on a phone sucks.

I agree.

I also agree, but it doesn't amount to Jack Shit. The kids are going to game on their phones, and whatever shit games there are - will be enough to satisfy them. Sure, a 14-year old in 1989 wanted a Gameboy. A 14-year old in 2011 wants a Droid X2 or iPhone 4s instead, so they can shit-talk on Facebook or text. Facebook or text - that's all the young idiots want. EVERYTHING ELSE IS SECONDARY, INCLUDING GAMING. Got it, eveybody? It's pretty obvious.

• Like 1

My kids are 17-21 and yes they want a phone, its the status thing of the moment, however they get the diff about a handheld or console. They all play the usual phone games but they are secondary to console games. As for the rest. yes facebook (damn thing) it what they really want. I think the whole issue is apples and oranges. Nintendo seems to be proving it so far this holiday season.

• 1 month later...

Big N is back and 3DS is taking off. Much like the DS did years ago,just took time.

Yeah.....no.

On Thursday, the company announced a loss of $623 million in the nine months that ended December 31, compared to $639 million in profits a year earlier. And the bad news doesn't end there.

Nintendo has once again been forced to lower its estimates for the full year. The game maker now says it will end its fiscal year (which wraps up on March 31) with an $837 million loss -- a significant step down from the $258 million it had previously expected to lose. It will be the first annual operating loss in the company's history.

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/nintendo-posts-first-annual-loss-lowers-earnings-forecast-183708904.html

if I ran Nintendo, I'd license the Mario/Zelda worlds to other consoles and to iOS/Android, etc. and make money on licensing. I think there is little profit on console sales anyway, so they shouldn't say: "well we want to make people buy Nintendo hardware, so we want to keep our characters on only Nintendo hardware."

Plus, Nintendo should innovate new characters and video game concepts. Mario and Zelda are great, but getting kinda played out and I don't think they are resonating with the younger generation as much as they did before.

Nintendo get a clue. How about a character based on a geeky teen who uses gadgets to kick the butts of evil people? A little Lego mini-fig type of dude with black thick rimmed glasses who unleashes all sorts of science-based gadgets. This character could be tied in to educational games for the small kids like math and science or other subjects too. And also into RPG's and platforming games for the older kids and adults.

Edited by gps_trekker
  • Like 1