IGNORED

Atari 800XL with red screen?

KubaCZ

I've got another 800XL yesterday, but it seems it's broken. It gives red screen on start.

POKEY, ANTIC, GTIA and CPU seems to be working - I've tested them on my other Ataris. I can't test PIA because I don't have any board that has socket for it.

I don't think it's ram problem, because I took 41256's from working 286 board to replace old ones. Also I have RAM320XL which can remap base memory to it's own sram.

Maybe it's problem with OS/ROMs? I don't have any other to test it with and I don't have skill to take it from other board whithout destroying it. :)

Btw: It seems it's very early model: serial number is 20132, every part is REV. A, it has older ANTIC (CO14887) and every IC is socketed like in A400.

I don't have any cart except Basic and Assembler one :(

I've tested that OS ROM (it's the longer one, right?) on other board that has same problems and it gave yellow screen for while but now it's again red. I don't see any broken traces on any of those boards and I have 2 PIAs so it's less chance that they will be both broken. So it's MMU on both boards?

Can also mean a dud CPU - I stayed away from that and the RAM since he said he'd tried a RAM320XL, which bypasses all the internal RAM and much of the logic.

Note though that to use the RAM 320XL on the 800XL, you have to give it power, either hardwired to PBI or using the joystick port cable.

Can also mean a dud CPU - I stayed away from that and the RAM since he said he'd tried a RAM320XL, which bypasses all the internal RAM and much of the logic.

Note though that to use the RAM 320XL on the 800XL, you have to give it power, either hardwired to PBI or using the joystick port cable.

Yes, CPU can cause it too, but he said he swapped CPU (and the other LSI's), so i didnt suggest that... MMU is the other possibility, especially with the RAM320XL not working also...

sloopy.

I just did some tests with a known working 800XL (yes NTSC), and with the mem and 74LS158's removed, the machine would startup with a RAM320XL connected, with and without power hooked up...

Also, if a specific DRAM has failed in 'chatty' mode, or 'stuck high' mode, the machine wont work even with a RAM320XL in it, until the DRAM is removed...

sloopy.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got my hands on 800XL board with MMU socketed, so I tested it with MMU from faulty board and worked fine, but if I use working MMU in faulty boad it's still same.

I've also removed all DRAMS and two 74158's, but results are same. Also I've tried PIA from 400, still nothing.