IGNORED

Latest news on Koffi?

Adrian M

Koffi is progressing. But I have not touched the code for 2 weeks for these reasons:

1. Been talking with AlanD and Raccoon Lad (Adventure II's new artist) about Adventure II, trying to recover from the loss of Mr. Molyneaux's art and keep Adventure II progressing. Alan is too busy to do much these days so I will need to shoulder more responsibility for Adventure II. Still, Koffi is my #1 priority.

2. I'm trying to finish a feature for Gaming-Age concerning homebrews for the classic 80's systems. It's turning out to be more lengthy than I expected.

3. Real life has been busy too.

Anyway, according to my schedule, I will start working on Koffi again starting this Friday, Feb 1. I have a check list of things I want to get done first in February; once these are done, I will release a ROM so you guys can mess around with the "Mountain Valley" stage (I may rename it to "Lightning Valley"). There is no sense in giving a ROM for you guys yet because several things are not quite in place yet. I plan for the first sample of Koffi to feature 1 level that repeats indefinitely, getting more difficult and changing the color scheme, until you lose all your Koffi's. Sometime in February it seems.

Also, "yes" I plan to put Koffi to a cartridge, assuming the game turns out good enough, and that there is enough interest in it. When the game is approaching completion, I'll post a query here and at DP and Atari HQ to try to see how many people would want to purchase the game on cart. It will be a 32K cart, which is basically 2 16K eproms attached to a board, inside a plastic casing that I will cannibalize from old commons.

Since you are kind enough to show interest, I will update you on a few things right now that I haven't included on Koffi's site yet -- there are 5 stages per level now. They are: Mountain Valley (the existing screen shots), Coniferous Forest (evergreen trees & winter setting & fireballs to avoid), Twin Trees, Water Fall, and Pyro's Mom levels. Oh, and there are bonus levels too, in which you will get a bonus Koffi if you ascend to the top before the time runs out (obstacles are little clouds and lighting blasts).

Koffi will take at least 2-3 more months of work.

That's a great update, thanks! I look forward to the demo when it's released, as I'm sure many others do. I am certainly interested in purchasing a cart, so you can put me down for five: One for myself and four to sell on eBay for huge profits.

And I can sympathize with #3, "Real life has been busy too." Don't push yourself too hard!!

..Al

Cafeman, I can understand what you mean about time. My current work schedule has put my hobby coding on hold for a while.

Sometimes I can take a breather and peak in on AtariAge once in a while to see what's going on

As Albert said, don't push yourself too hard. Oh and put me down for a Koffi too

It's nice to hear other people are too busy to work on their games as well. I haven't touched Cypher since I got the square randomization thing going. I want to wait until we find out why it doesn't work on a real 5200 before I really go much farther in case it requires major recoding.

I've been way too busy with work (I started a new position Jan. 2), my PS2 (it's so addictive), and working on AtariProtos.com. I've been working day and night to get it ready and I'm only half way done with the 2600 section. It's taking alot longer than I thought it would.

Cypher may not get released at the CGE at the rate I'm going. Maybeif I nix the Arkanoid level I could finish it in time. If only my 6502 skills were better...

Tempest

The way I feel, I will not be rushed. That takes all the enjoyment out of it. Sometimes I will force myself to work on the code when I really don't want to, but I am always glad I did.

I'm not going to the CGE2k2 anyway, so that date has no bearing on me. I definitely won't have Koffi 100% done by the philly classic either. But who cares? This isn't a paid, professional job we have here, its a hobby.

Eventually, Koffi and Cypher and Adventure II and the others will get done and we'll all enjoy 'em, I'm sure.

Speaking of progress ... how are the other 5200 homebrews coming along, such as OldGuru's Castle Blast and Dutchman's Airworld? I have not heard much news about those project either.