IGNORED

I'm Back.

Master_Programmer

Sorry i've been gone so long....lots of things happened, I lost my password, etc.

Anyways, I have excruciatingly bad news.

I NO LONGER HAVE THE SOURCE-CODE TO EVERY 2600 GAME I MADE, AND WAS WORKING ON.

I stored them on a virtual hard-disk in a program called Virtual-Box, and my hard-drive started going a clitckity clicky click recently, and I lost the files for good.

i will never again be able to update or bugfix any of my old Homebrew games.

also, i can't seem to find the 558 Build of Visual bB anymore, so making DPC+ games will be a bit more tricky, as i have to use ol' notepad, which i'm not used to using for making 2600 games.

Now, onto the good news.

I'm working on a fairly big project....

As you all might now, it's(or was recently) the 25th anniversary of Legends of Zelda.

I'm planning on making a full-fledged Zelda game for the 2600 in honor of that.

if I can get things working the way I want it to, I will even add 2 player support through an in-game obtainable item.

the other good news about that, is i will not be making back-ground music, unless someone wants to pitch in an do that for me.

otherwise, i'll just make it a sound effects only game.

i'm also working on a secondary project, but the details of that game....i'mma keep to myself until it's far enough in production to have a demo. X3

anyways, see you all later, and I hope to update again soon.

i can't seem to find the 558 Build of Visual bB anymore, so making DPC+ games will be a bit more tricky, as i have to use ol' notepad, which i'm not used to using for making 2600 games.

If you have the latest build of bB then use this version of vbB.

-Jeff

Thanks Dude! :)

A few months, maybe even closer to a year ago, my hard drive died and I had to start from scratch too. Although in this case there was only one bB program that I was working on that got lost.

Thank goodness I have a backup drive now.

what gets to me, is the fact that right before the hard-drive failure, I was considering backing up my files on that Virtual Hard-drive. DX

So far, for the Zelda game, I have a list of features for all of you to (hopefully) be excited about.

1 - It will most likely use the DPC+ enhancement....due to a feature I probably won't be able to accomplish with an unexpanded 2600.

2 - there will be 24 pieces of equipment total....8 of them, are swords. ;)

3 - Password system.

4 - A 2 PLAYER MODE.

5 - 2 different over-worlds, all with their own dungeons, and possibly, their own layout.

6 - 16x16 screen over-worlds, 8x8 screen dungeons, and a 16x16 screen final dungeon.

7 - Day/Night system, Night-time causing enemies to be 2-8 times harder than normal....and perhaps, a dungeon or two that only open at day/night. :3

8 - (Fairly) Big bosses.

9 - (Maybe) a player home, a 1x1 screen dungeon, with a bed that will heal you fully when you come in contact with it.

10 - (Maybe) *VERY* simple weather system.

although, some features may be added/removed during production.

I know it sounds ambitious but I think, with the DPC+, I CAN accomplish this.

If anyone wants to, I can go into a bit more detail of the 2-player mode, and what my goals are for it. :)

In honor of Legend of Zelda's 25th anniversary, I really wanna make this game special, and awe-inspiring. :)

okay, I have about 5-7% completed.

oh, and those of you, who have any questions about the game, please, please, PLEASE, ask away, even if you think it might be an insignificant question, so long as it hasn't already been asked, please, ask away.

I want to make an FAQ section of a future thread, but i can't do that if I don't have any questions to answer. X3

Edited by Master_Programmer

Okay, I have a demo that is about 60% done....just in case I put that in a confusing way, what I mean was, I can release a demo after another 40%.

Bad news though...due to a few small problems, i'm not sure how long the 2 player mode concept will last.

I hope I can make it work, but so far, it's not looking like it's going to happen.

I'm curious...does anyone WANT a 2 player mode for a zelda game?

if you had to choose between a weather system, or a 2 player mode, which would be your pic?

and lastly, the question i have to ask all of you....why am I not just putting this is a poll--

....wait....I should be asking MYSELF that..... OnO

(EDIT)

ugh, I have to get out of the habit of saying "To be honest" with everything.... DX

I have a random recommendation for future backing up of your stuff, if you felt like learning a new skill set.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with version control, but you can install a program like subversion or git.

Then, if you learn some of those commands/concepts, you can back up your stuff for free on a site like projectlocker.com

I currently have any code I've written in the last 3 years backed up via a git repository at that site.

It's private, free, and a great backup solution that doesn't require making full copies of source to other hard drives.

What makes it even nicer is that I can just run a single command to "back up" my new changes in history, and it takes about 2 seconds to do.

I know a lot of people aren't into version control stuff, but once you know it, it's very powerful stuff.

-John

P.S. A two-player mode sounds interesting-- it'll be cool to see what you come up with.

Sounds interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Keep it up! :)

If I HAD to choose, I'd choose weather, as I pretty much never find anyone to play 2-player with (by "pretty much" I mean just "never" lol).

Okie Dokie Lokie...I was actually thinking, if I can't do both in one version, i'll split the game into two versions, that way, those who want a 2-player mode, will have it, and those that want weather, will have it.

I have a random recommendation for future backing up of your stuff, if you felt like learning a new skill set.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with version control, but you can install a program like subversion or git.

Then, if you learn some of those commands/concepts, you can back up your stuff for free on a site like projectlocker.com

I currently have any code I've written in the last 3 years backed up via a git repository at that site.

It's private, free, and a great backup solution that doesn't require making full copies of source to other hard drives.

What makes it even nicer is that I can just run a single command to "back up" my new changes in history, and it takes about 2 seconds to do.

I know a lot of people aren't into version control stuff, but once you know it, it's very powerful stuff.

-John

P.S. A two-player mode sounds interesting-- it'll be cool to see what you come up with.

Well, so far, here's how i'm making the 2-player mode fit into the game.

Basically, this will be *KINDA* like A link to the Past, as there will be 2 different overworlds, each with their own unique layout, and dungeons...

but it's different, as you aren't time-traveling, you're dimension traveling.

the second link, is activated by an item that you will probably get in either the first dungeon of the first world, or the first dungeon of the second world.

it's currently, in the project, known as the coop orb....what it does, is it summons the link from the 2nd dimension, to aid the first link.

Now, before I say this, I need to ask, if you think this idea is silly, or doesn't seem to fit, let me know...I can change it, as the demo is still only 70% done.

I'm planning on doing something similar to the dark-world, in that, the link there isn't human.

I am planning on making the 2nd link a female too, just for the heck of it, really.

like I said, i'm willing to change that if people don't like it.

here, this is what both links look like:

2Links-1.png

The Left one, is Player 1, AKA normal Link.

The Right one, is Player 2, Known in the project currently, as Alternate Link

Oh, and anyone wanna come up with a name for Link 2?

(EDIT)

just in case it's hard to tell what the links look like by sprites alone, i'll post some concept artwork in a little while.

Not that you asked for it, but, here's my attempt at an elf:

Not bad! :D

But as for me, due to rom-space, i'm making link able to face only two directions...left, and right.

He can only attack left and right, which not only adds a slight bit of difficulty I want, but it also saves space. :)

well, so far, i've added enemies to the game, they show up randomly when you move to a different screen, and only 1 enemy is ever on-screen at once, and occasionally, a shot is too.

and all the tunics, aside from the green, reduce damage taken by a number.

2 players can be on screen, and so far, i have one weapon that works for both players, and one item that works for both players.

Sounds too easy for 2 players to handle 1 little enemy together, right?

wrong.

player 2 and player 1 share the same hp, so player 2 can't go hog-wild while player 1 hides his sorry butt. ;)

oh, and at night, enemies become 2 times harder.

I have data for, but don't have anything else complete for, the 2nd world too....and enemies in that world will be 2 times harder.

which means night time in the 2nd dimension, causes enemies to become 4 times harder.

oh, and by the way, the same goes for BOSSES.

yes, even the final fight will become 2 times harder at night.

also, i have added wizrobes to the game...they stay at one side of the screen, and fire energy beams at you, with a deadly accuracy and speed.

but there's good news for that too.

I have a working mirror shield in the game, that (half of the time) reflects the energy beams back at the wizrobe, and if the beam hits the wizrobe, it'll do a full amount of damage to it.

The shields work for both player so far too.

i'd say the demo is about 80% complete