IGNORED

FF VIII Rule Abolishing

Tempest

Ok anyone who's played FF VIII knows about the stupid card game. I'm trying to complete the Queen of Cards quest and I need to abolish the random rule in Dollet. I've found a town (Balam) where theres only one different rule and they don't have random.

Dollet

-------

Open

Random

Elemental

Trade One

Balam

-------

Open

Same

Elemental

Trade One

So logically (from what I've read) if I play a game in Balam and go to Dollet, after awhile it should abolish the Random rule. Unfortunetly after 30 or so tries it just keeps spreading Same. Am I doing this right? Do I have to save my game outside of town to have a chance at abolishing random? I'm starting to think that every time I load my game the events are predetermined and I have no chance of abolishing the rule unless I leave town first. Any ideas?

Tempest

Am I doing this right? Do I have to save my game outside of town to have a chance at abolishing random? I'm starting to think that every time I load my game the events are predetermined and I have no chance of abolishing the rule unless I leave town first.  Any ideas?

Tempest

Congratulations Tempest, you've stumbled on the single most perniciously obnoxious thing about FF8. You can rest assured that I visited over a dozen FF8 websites, read every FAQ available on the subject, and beat my fists into the walls repeatedly in frustration - but my experience was relatively the same as yours. Whenever I tried to abolish random I only ended up spreading a rule I hated to a region that didn't have it to begin with. I got to 92 cards and gave up and just beat the game because the insane "lose one to get one" quest finally pushed me off the wagon cart of sanity for good.

I abolished the random rule tonight. I don't know how it happened, but after 25+ games of trying I gave up and played cards with another person on a different side quest and volia. I nearly crapped my pants when I saw it say that random was abolished. Needless to say I saved right away.

I just wish I knew what did it. I guess it just does take time. I'd say the odds of it happening are only around 5 or 10%.

Tempest