IGNORED

fed up with the moaning and grief in vintage gaming? Try the zx spectrum sc

gooner73

Trouble with Spectrum is that it's UK-centric, and during the 80s, Spectrum's releases were 99% awful (programmed on a weekend in someone's bedroom), on tape (US/ rest of world was fdd gaming where computers are concerned), and anyone who was into computer gaming used joysticks/paddles etc. The ZX homebrew scene again, still...cassettes?...mostly UK people from WoS are interested in it, rest of the world is not.

yes partly true , but you can use emulation outside of the uk, and joysticks were essentail to the spectrum as well so not sure where that comes from. It is well worth looking into and seeing the games being made today.Some of the classic games in history are best played on the speccy-Manic miner, jet set willy and hundreds of classic platform and shoot em ups, as for 99% of games being rubbish-play them first and then comment on them ;)

We were 3 in the house, my neighbour had a C64/fdd, I had a C128/fdd and an XE/fdd, our poor friend downstairs had a Spectrum, didn't even have joystick ports, as for sounds, don't even wanna go there. We went downstairs trying to play those Spectrum games (and he had loads, copied), but after 1/2 hour even our poor friend said lets go upstairs and play some awesome games in colour with decent sound and joysticks. True story.

So why play poorly designed copies of C64 or Atari classics, when you can have the real thing?

BTW, the 'classic' Manic Miner was a copy of Miner 2049er, as Matthew Smith himself stated.

ia ssume he had the zx81 (16k) or the basic 48k rubber keyboard version-not the 128k version-manic miner a copy of miner have you played manic miner????????

i have both manic on the speccy and c64 and miner 2049er on the 800xl-can't see the connection!

Trouble with Spectrum is that it's UK-centric, and during the 80s, Spectrum's releases were 99% awful (programmed on a weekend in someone's bedroom), on tape (US/ rest of world was fdd gaming where computers are concerned), and anyone who was into computer gaming used joysticks/paddles etc. The ZX homebrew scene again, still...cassettes?...mostly UK people from WoS are interested in it, rest of the world is not.

yes partly true , but you can use emulation outside of the uk, and joysticks were essentail to the spectrum as well so not sure where that comes from. It is well worth looking into and seeing the games being made today.Some of the classic games in history are best played on the speccy-Manic miner, jet set willy and hundreds of classic platform and shoot em ups, as for 99% of games being rubbish-play them first and then comment on them ;)

We were 3 in the house, my neighbour had a C64/fdd, I had a C128/fdd and an XE/fdd, our poor friend downstairs had a Spectrum, didn't even have joystick ports, as for sounds, don't even wanna go there. We went downstairs trying to play those Spectrum games (and he had loads, copied), but after 1/2 hour even our poor friend said lets go upstairs and play some awesome games in colour with decent sound and joysticks. True story.

So why play poorly designed copies of C64 or Atari classics, when you can have the real thing?

BTW, the 'classic' Manic Miner was a copy of Miner 2049er, as Matthew Smith himself stated.

ia ssume he had the zx81 (16k) or the basic 48k rubber keyboard version-not the 128k version-manic miner a copy of miner have you played manic miner????????

i have both manic on the speccy and c64 and miner 2049er on the 800xl-can't see the connection!

the only way you had no joystick ports was if you had no interface on the 48k

Oh and Mat Smith was inspired by Bill hogue and miner 2049er to make the game, he did not copy it!

Most people have an inspiration behind any game , it's just the way it is , a privellige to play and an honour to the person or game that inspired you to do the work. :)

Edited by gooner73