IGNORED

Gauntlet clone

walter_J64bit

I went down this road last year and it seems like everyone is programing the 2600 in not the 5200.

Or programming the 7800 and Intellivision (in my case). Other developers are coding for the A8s, C64, Jaguar, Colecovision, TI99, Spectrum, BBC micro etc. There are plenty of programmers around, just not so many interested in the 5200.

There are plenty of programmers around, just not so many interested in the 5200.

Maybe cafeman set the bar so high with Adventure II that everyone is scared off? :-)

There is actually a GAUNTLET for A8 but I don't think it would run in the 5200's memory constraints. But would be awesome to be proven wrong!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Was Ziggystar's version good? I'm going to look for it on YouTube.

Converting Druid or Phantom from the A8 might be possible depending upon RAM constraints but would be similar to Dark Chambers, close but still not Gauntlet.

Someone appears to have done a Gauntlet version for the 2600...

Edited by Lynxpro

The recently made Gauntlet is not very good.

That said, the A8 disk game, Gauntlet is terrible. There is a second delay to everything.

Dark Chambers on the A8 is great and I wish that was converted for use with the SD cart.

Dandy is one of my favorite A8 games, so of course I'd like to see that converted also.

The recently made Gauntlet is not very good.

That said, the A8 disk game, Gauntlet is terrible. There is a second delay to everything.

Dark Chambers on the A8 is great and I wish that was converted for use with the SD cart.

Dandy is one of my favorite A8 games, so of course I'd like to see that converted also.

To each their own! I spent many hours playing Gauntlet on the A8 (disk) and loved it.

• Like 1

Was Ziggystar's version good? I'm going to look for it on YouTube.

Converting Druid or Phantom from the A8 might be possible depending upon RAM constraints but would be similar to Dark Chambers, close but still not Gauntlet.

Someone appears to have done a Gauntlet version for the 2600...

It looks great, but plays horribly. Just way too delayed and slow, simply beyond the limits of the system.

So, is Ziggystar's version a hacked version of the US Gold/Gremlin version for the A8 or a different effort on the A8 altogether? I saw the old thread and he had said it had been reduced from 256K to a 64K Bankswitched custom 5200 cart. I want clear if it was disk space that was 256K or if that version actually required an A8 with its RAM upgraded to 256K. Seems the scrolling, the reduction in audio samples, and reduction in characters down to 2-player was all down to the 64K cart.

Just watched a few vids on YouTube. The Spectrum version seems to have the best character animations of the 8-bit conversions although the rest of the colors and graphics overall suck like typical Spectrum titles. The C64 version is weak and so was the A8 US gold version. The Sega Master System version looked decent but obviously used the North American stock audio chip and not the killer Japanese standard audio chip. The Amiga versions don't scroll as well as the Atari ST versions - especially with faster 68000 upgrades - and the Genesis version should be the version any home brewers interested in porting the title to the Falcon or Jaguar should use as the template.

Man, to think had Warner not split up the original Atari Inc and the AMY chip had been completed, Atari [Games] would've used it instead of the YM2151 in the arcade units...

Edit: without seeing Ziggystar's version - where are the vids on YouTube??? - any future ports probably should use Dark Chambers source code and then make it into a true version of Gauntlet.

Edited by Lynxpro

So, is Ziggystar's version a hacked version of the US Gold/Gremlin version for the A8 or a different effort on the A8 altogether?

Edit: without seeing Ziggystar's version - where are the vids on YouTube??? - any future ports probably should use Dark Chambers source code and then make it into a true version of Gauntlet.

It was not hacked or converted from the A8 disk game.

I think US GOLD did all the home computer versions of Gauntlet. The A8, C64, and Apple II are all very similar. The C64 version being the best and most playable. Fast and smooth. It is actually fun.

The IIgs version is pretty bad as there are no sounds just synthesizer beeps as effects. The ST version is excellent but can be very very slow when there are a lot of enemies on screen.

It was not hacked or converted from the A8 disk game.

I think US GOLD did all the home computer versions of Gauntlet. The A8, C64, and Apple II are all very similar. The C64 version being the best and most playable. Fast and smooth. It is actually fun.

The IIgs version is pretty bad as there are no sounds just synthesizer beeps as effects. The ST version is excellent but can be very very slow when there are a lot of enemies on screen.

True. But Gauntlet on an ST with a 16Mhz 68000 upgrade rocks. There's a vid of it on YouTube and the scrolling is smooth without any lag whatsoever. I understand there's a patch out that allows it to run on an STE/TT/Falcon.

I think the Amiga version may rely too much on the custom chips than on the 68000 which causes the lag. The horizontal resolution is more than the ST version which also causes the speed loss. And since the ST has that weak YM2149 sound chip, it sounds like the ST version uses more actual samples from the game whereas the Amiga version uses the Paula chip for the most part which makes it sound more Amiga-esque than true to the arcade like the ST version. That's strange to me considering the Amiga version of Marble Madness is the closest version to the arcade.

Damn, the ST should've had the YM2151 - or the completed AMY sound chip in it and not that weak 3 channel gimp YM2149 chip.

Gotta log on here on my Mac because that YouTube vid won't play on my iPhone...

Yes the 5200 Ziggy did was really impressive for that system. I think it's just a 32KB game, or at least the demo was. The problem with it was that as the enemies increased, the weapons/missiles became far too choppy. Made shooting enemies properly nearly impossible, hence, IMO, unplayable. The C64 version is going to be better as that machine was far superior to the 5200 and 400/800 platform.

Yes the 5200 Ziggy did was really impressive for that system. I think it's just a 32KB game, or at least the demo was. The problem with it was that as the enemies increased, the weapons/missiles became far too choppy. Made shooting enemies properly nearly impossible, hence, IMO, unplayable. The C64 version is going to be better as that machine was far superior to the 5200 and 400/800 platform.

It's a RAM issue, not a C64 vs. Atari issue. Ziggy's version looks more like Gauntlet than your professed superior platform's official version so save your preaching for a pro-Commodore site.

Furthermore, if you wish to compare the C64 - a machine that debuted in 1982 - with the Atari A8 platform originally designed in 1977-1978 and still only fought it to a technical draw, then I'll raise you the 7800 that debuted 2 years after the C64 and absolutely clobbers in in terms of onscreen sprites and 60K less of system RAM.

As for stating player missile graphics are an issue for A8/5200 Gauntlet, then I will again bring up Dark Chambers which refutes your point. Give the 5200 access to 64K RAM and a 256K ROM and "Gauntlet" is entirely possible on it .

Edited by Lynxpro

It's been some time since I've fired up my US (Mindscape) release, but I don't recall that it suffered from jumpiness to that great an extent. Could there be different versions out there?

I thought the Mindscape version was the same as the US Gold/Gremlin version. Then again, Mindscape was on disk and apparently US Gold was on tape. How much RAM was in your system?

It's a RAM issue, not a C64 vs. Atari issue. Ziggy's version looks more like Gauntlet than your professed superior platform's official version so save your preaching for a pro-Commodore site.

Uh, if one system has 8 times more RAM than the other, would it not be superior? Notice I didn't say Atari XL? But the game was likely programmed with the lesser models in mind. IMO, the C64 looks slightly better but it doesn't matter since that version is actually playable. It's fine work by Ziggystar, without question, but sadly it's just too much game for the 5200 to handle.

PS: I am an avid 5200 fan and defender, but hardware is hardware and there's nothing wrong with that.

Edited by Greg2600