IGNORED

Coming Soon! Atari 2600 S-Video and Stereo Mod

cwilkson

The ideal setup for me, would be composite ( I have no S-vid capable devices) and stereo would be fine too I guess. Oh, and to have it working on a 6-switcher, my fave 2600 model. Sounds great!

BTW, I have seen folks mention the C=64 chroma/luma cable. I recently got one of those, and i do not have a Commodore monitor. Is there a trick I can use to make the C=64 chroma/luma cable work with my composite TV?

-deadtech

Hi. I've been lurking, but never posted. I am a semi - regular on #RGVC since '98.

I'm all for S-Video and Composite, with a switch to choose, same with stereo and mono.

I'd prefer plugs rather than cables (I think it looks more professional.. and easier to deal with when not in use and put away.)

If this would be a chip that could go between the TIA and the board, and does indeed look as good as it does in that screenshot, I'd go $70-$80.

Also, I liked that plate that was drawn up by Nathan Strum. I picked up a JR just so I could do a mod, and decided I would wait for this chip to be available!!

Any ETA for this to be available?

-Paul

I'd be up for one of these. All the mods I've tried for my (admittedly PAL) 2600 have been pretty bad. This way, I could run a US 2600 right into my TV with a great picture and no color problems from import games.

(wouldn't consider a PAL version/switch as well?)

Everyone talks about modifying the old atari units to perform better and to work with Audio and Video composite jacks, well I've come up with an idea that works on paper and is also marketable, all I need is someone willing to build the prototype, this is how it would work, an add on module could be constructed that would plug into the 2600 cartridge slot, much like a cartridge would, but the end where the label would be at would be flared and conatain a cartridge slot, and attached to the cartridge slot would be trim controls for sharpness, color enhancement, picture quality etc, and under those controls a set of AV composite jacks built into the module, the module would work with ALL models of the 2600 consoles, and be transferable in case your system happened to short out or burn up, saving you the need to modify another console, plus the end result would be cost effective. I already have a basic working concept for it, all I need now is to draft the blueprints. I also have prototypes for many other Atari 2600 add-ons that I built back in 1985 when Atari 2600 systems were still in production, and most if not all my inventions worked. This is my latest idea and it enables you to get the picture clarity you want, plus the color intensity you want on any TV, plus I will at request add in a special circuit which would enable you to play a PAL cartridge on a NON PAL Atari system and have it run flawlessly. I am producing this module as also a way to keep the Atari 2600 consoles original so they will retain their original value and appearance but the modulke will in turn give you the functionality you need. I am also planning to come up with a Game Genie like device as well if anyone would be interested in the ability to beat a game on the first "man" so to speak. If anyone would be intersted in partnering up with me on this module I already have a few of the parts I need to get the module done, all I would need for the case is a XONOX cartridge or someone to make me a single flared end case for the prototype which I hope to have operational as soon as possible, possibly even in time for the Philly Classic

RichG1972

(On an off-topic note - cybpunks: have you ever considered a DVD re-issue of Stella at 20? I have the first volume and think it's great, but couldn't get the second one. I'd love to get a DVD version.)

I have thought about it.

I think there needs to be more demand to justify doing this, and given that the documentary footage is now over 5 years old, I think I'd have to freshen it up with some new content somehow.

It might be better to do something completely new.

I'd actually like to document the homebrew movement. Maybe after Thomas and I finish Death Derby...

Interviewing homebrewers would be a good way to justify some international travel to meet with the programmers in europe.

I'd actually like to document the homebrew movement.  Maybe after Thomas and I finish Death Derby...

AHHHH !!! Now there is some GREAT news! Death Derby DEATH DERBY YES! Yippie! Pant! PANT!

(umm... I too would like to see an update of the Stella video on DVD.)

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

(Death Race player in 1976!)

(The Violence is back!) :D

I have thought about it.

I'd actually like to document the homebrew movement.  Maybe after Thomas and I finish Death Derby...

Interviewing homebrewers would be a good way to justify some international travel to meet with the programmers in europe.

Well, if you ever decide you want to test the waters with DVD (either with the original Stella videos or new ones), let me know if there's anything I can do to help. I work at a film school, and have access to DVD authoring software and a pretty broad range of video equipment.

And just to jump back on topic...

The photos of the video mod look great! Any chance of posting some close-ups of the circuit? I can't wait to buy one.

Well, okay. I can wait. Obviously. After all, I kind-of have to. But I'm eager to buy one. :D

One other question regarding it: does it involve having to desolder/cut anything on the main Atari board?

I already have a basic working concept for it, all I need now is to draft the blueprints.  I also have prototypes for many other Atari 2600 add-ons that I built back in 1985 when Atari 2600 systems were still in production, and most if not all my inventions worked.

Rich:

Make it work .. and show some of your stuff ..

Nathan Strum wrote:  

(On an off-topic note - cybpunks: have you ever considered a DVD re-issue of Stella at 20? I have the first volume and think it's great, but couldn't get the second one. I'd love to get a DVD version.)  

I have thought about it.  

I think there needs to be more demand to justify doing this, and given that the documentary footage is now over 5 years old, I think I'd have to freshen it up with some new content somehow.  

It might be better to do something completely new.  

I'd actually like to document the homebrew movement. Maybe after Thomas and I finish Death Derby...  

Or to cut costs make it a vcd wich works on a dvd player, I have the first volume, but unfortunately my videoplayer doesn´t support ntsc :(

I would love to see the series!

Sandy

BTW, I have seen folks mention the C=64 chroma/luma cable.  I recently got one of those, and i do not have a Commodore monitor. Is there a trick I can use to make the C=64 chroma/luma cable work with my composite TV?

No. .. You want a Commodore Monitor to use with that cable ..

Or to cut costs make it a vcd wich works on a dvd player, I have the first volume, but unfortunately my videoplayer doesn´t support ntsc

The difference in quality wouldn't be worth it. VCD looks terrible compared to a DVD. Actually, DVD duplication has gotten pretty affordable now. Packaging is the big killer, not the discs.

• 6 months later...

he demo'd this mod at one of our trademeets last year it was pretty cool to see a 2600 hooked directly up to my commie monitor. he also had this really cool touch sensor NES style controller for the 2600. he seemed like a really nice guy, i havent heard from him since. word around was he had gotten fed up with some aspects of the scene and was on break from MIT. if you're out there chris we'd love to see you at our next trademeet :)