IGNORED

JzINTV front end on linux 64?

Hello,

I am an Intellivision fan and own 2 consoles as well as the emulators. Although, I like nostalgia, bliss and the other emulators, I recently switched to ubuntu linux and have tried jzintv but have had litlle luck. I found a version someone packed as a .deb file with the emulator and tried that- it was on the wrong architecture. I found out how to repack it so it works on 64 bit and like it for its simplicity.

My question: is there any way to remap the buttons (make a custom config) and or any help in building a front end that allows custom configs and has the manuals and overlays available with the rom? In other words, JzIntv is a great emu, but for newbies like myself to linux, who don't mind learning the command line, but don't have the time, it could use an optional interface. Is the source available for any of the front ends? I could learn to try and get it to work with linux. To all the emulator programmers, keep up the great work.

Jeffrey M. Bouchard

Hello,

I am an Intellivision fan and own 2 consoles as well as the emulators. Although, I like nostalgia, bliss and the other emulators, I recently switched to ubuntu linux and have tried jzintv but have had litlle luck. I found a version someone packed as a .deb file with the emulator and tried that- it was on the wrong architecture. I found out how to repack it so it works on 64 bit and like it for its simplicity.

My question: is there any way to remap the buttons (make a custom config) and or any help in building a front end that allows custom configs and has the manuals and overlays available with the rom? In other words, JzIntv is a great emu, but for newbies like myself to linux, who don't mind learning the command line, but don't have the time, it could use an optional interface. Is the source available for any of the front ends? I could learn to try and get it to work with linux. To all the emulator programmers, keep up the great work.

Jeffrey M. Bouchard

Jeffrey,

What trouble are you having with jzIntv? As far as I know, Linux is the "native" platform of jzIntv, all other ones are ports, so it should work well.

As for your question, I don't think jzIntv supports custom keyboard mappings. It does support multiple pre-configure mappings, and allows you to switch between them.

-dZ.

Thanks for the reply. The main issue was the configuration problem, but I will get used to that. Do you know if the retrobox adaptors work? I have 2, but without configuring them, will they work? Other than that, it works great. I just wish that there was a way to see the manuals and or overlay like in other emulators but no big deal.

Jeffrey

Thanks for the reply. The main issue was the configuration problem, but I will get used to that. Do you know if the retrobox adaptors work? I have 2, but without configuring them, will they work? Other than that, it works great. I just wish that there was a way to see the manuals and or overlay like in other emulators but no big deal.

Jeffrey

Jeffrey,

I think jzIntv's primary focus is for programmers, not the general collector's community. That may explain the lack of front-end and the familiar POSIX-style CLI. It has an exceptional debugger and is an essential component of any Intellivision game development environment.

In that context, I believe jzIntv strives for a very accurate emulation for this allows a game programmer to test his code efficiently. The upshot is that it also works very well as a platform for playing game ROMs, in spite of its spartan interface.

-dZ.

I agree and thanks for the reply. I love playing and collecting the Intellivision...now if I could only get the cartridges. Oh well.

You may want to invest in something called a Cuttle Cart 3. It allows you to transfer any ROM into a custom-made cartridge board that you can then insert into your Intellivision Master Component. It can store multiple ROMs in the same CC3 cart and provides a menu from the Intellivision. It uses a Micro-SD card to transfer from your PC to the CC3 board.

You'll need to house it in a spare cart shell, though.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

• 2 weeks later...