IGNORED

Douchebag Alert: bigbadserpent

ghsqb

Cmart has a 'secret weapon' to battle these USA only auctions!

:-D

You are neither secret nor a weapon. but he uses you. :-D

Rev has been awesome, allowing me to participate in these exclusive US auctions. As I like to say, he is in charge of all Cmart US operations. :)

Seriously though, it is frustrating to not be able to bid on some of this stuff. I generally find that most sellers will say yes when you ask, but often I end up missing out on great deals while waiting for a response, like last weeks $60 Spiker! :(

As a result I've been spending a lot of time on other eBay sites around the world and have found lots of sellers very willing to ship to North America. In 2011 I've bought from Australia, Italy, France, Germany, England, Spain, the Netherlands, Japan, China, Venezuela, and Brazil. There are deals out there to be had. :)

Just ask a friend in the Us to receive the game for you. and Why do you need his address?

I've considered using one of those services where you hire a company to forward stuff to you, for those that insist on shipping to US addresses only.

Ive never gone through with it, because I'm not sure how I would go about having that address verified by Paypal since it doesn't match the address on my credit card billing statement.

I suppose it's something I would have to look in to.

Don´t worry about that. Ebay accept any ship address you insert and paypal takes that address automatically. Just pay from Ebay not directly in Paypal and you are set.

99% of the stuff I bought on Ebay ships to US only and with my US address inserted I can bid in these auctions

So the copy of Stonix mentioned in this thread is now in my hands. Here's the deal:

I bid on the Stonix auction as a lark, since out of all the "old homebrews" it's by far the one I wanted the most (and two of the others, Space Patrol and SG&R, are going to be reissued). Anyway, I wasn't surprised to lose, though I was only outbid by about $5-6 (I think there was another bidder who outbid me, who was then apparently outbid by ghsqb), so I felt foolish for not bidding more (little did I know!). I was surprised, actually, that the copy of Minehunter I bid on (and didn't win) went for a little more than Stonix.

Obviously my bid of $74.33 reflected the high shipping costs. I don't like to ever spend more than $100 for a game -- in fact I don't think I ever have.

The following day at around noon, I received a second chance offer from bigbadserpent to buy his copy of Stonix for the price of my top bid. His note said that the item had been won by a Canadian bidder but that he didn't ship to Canada, so he was offering the item to the other high bidders. I thought of cmart604, but figured it wouldn't be him since he had one or more copies already.

So I jumped on the second chance offer immediately. I think at least one other bidder probably received the offer as well, but didn't reply in time (I think I accepted about 2 hours after it was sent, since that's when I checked my email).

bigbadserpent was super-responsive, I paid immediately, and we literally finished the transaction within 10 minutes. The price was $74.33 (my high bid) + $23.47 shipping. He said he'd ship the next day, and also mentioned he'd be away in January, so that he wanted to get things wrapped up ASAP.

Then, that night at around midnight -- about ten hours later, in other words -- I saw ghsqb's thread. At first I was gravely concerned, and had that "Oh shit" feeling in my stomach when I saw the title...but when I saw that the two stories seemed to match up, I thought I'd wait and see. I also had a 14-hour drive to make the next day (I was just finishing up a weeklong stay at my sister's house in Indiana), so I didn't have time to get into anything.

Today, I got the game via UPS. It looks great, though I haven't tried it out yet. The item was very well-packed with bubble wrap and peanuts in a sturdy box, which makes sense if he has UPS handle the shipping and packing.

So that's my story. I thought it worth mentioning, since whatever happened, I can say that bigbadserpent didn't cancel the sale in order to make more money -- my bid (and cost) was less than ghsqb's winning bid, and was literally less than half of his top bid amount.

It doesn't seem to have been about the money; otherwise, why sell to me for less than half of what the last auction went for? But I don't understand what on earth was going on with the $152.94 invoice.

I feel bad that ghsqb kind of got screwed here. :( I don't know if it helps that the game went to a fellow AA member and Intellivision fan at a relatively cheap price, rather than ending up in the hands of a reseller who'll mark it up 250%, but...

I think the problem is that he didnt want to send anything out of the country and it be because of the customs forms.

But he was WAY OVERCHARGING for the shipping costs to Canada. It realisticlt should cost no more than 12.00 to send it to Canada. Even if UPS charged 20.00 to box it up. Why was he charging 75 to ship it? It doesnt add up.

Anyway, im glad it went to a collector and not a re-seller.

I don't know -- when I had UPS pack and ship a wedding present for a friend of mine across the country (in Oregon), it was more than $50. I was totally flabbergasted, but it was too late to back out.

And, whoa, holy crap: I just priced the cost of sending a 1 lb. package to cmart in Canada using UPS. The quote is -- brace yourself -- $87.08!! I don't know if that quote includes the price of having them pack it for you. I just priced bigbadseaserpent's shipment to me, and it would be around $11-12. If UPS charges $10 to pack it, and a bit more goes to taxes, then we're in the ballpark of the $23.47 I paid.

I think there's plenty of room for thinking that UPS isn't the ideal shipping method from the buyer's cost perspective, but I don't think bigbadseaserpent is pocketing a big chunk of the shipping costs here -- it's looking legit to me.

@thegoldenband - i am actually very glad to see it went to a fellow AAer.

I exchanged a lot of messages with bigbadserpent over this whole mess.

His explanation of the high shipping costs is that he uses UPS not just as a shipping service, but as a logistics service.

In other words, he just kind of brings in what he needs to ship, and where to, and they box it up, label it, take care of forms etc...

I agree that bigbadserpent may not have been trying to personally profit off of the shipping, the cost quoted may be a reflection of what UPS charges for that service.

As I explained to Eric (bigbadserpent) the issue that he has though is whether that's really the best choice for him going forward.

His higher shipping costs are resulting in lower bids on his games, and for a reseller, that's the last thing you would want.

A really messed up situation overall for everyone involved I think....but in the end a fellow AAer got a great deal on Stonix...so it could have ended much worse.

@thegoldenband - i am actually very glad to see it went to a fellow AAer.

I exchanged a lot of messages with bigbadserpent over this whole mess.

His explanation of the high shipping costs is that he uses UPS not just as a shipping service, but as a logistics service.

In other words, he just kind of brings in what he needs to ship, and where to, and they box it up, label it, take care of forms etc...

I agree that bigbadserpent may not have been trying to personally profit off of the shipping, the cost quoted may be a reflection of what UPS charges for that service.

As I explained to Eric (bigbadserpent) the issue that he has though is whether that's really the best choice for him going forward.

His higher shipping costs are resulting in lower bids on his games, and for a reseller, that's the last thing you would want.

A really messed up situation overall for everyone involved I think....but in the end a fellow AAer got a great deal on Stonix...so it could have ended much worse.

I was looking at a copy of Stadium Mud Buggies he had available and noticed the shipping was outrageous. I contacted him asking why and got a very similar response actually.

It came up $42.77 to 33525 for me.

Sorry, but there is no way in hell that I believe USPS charges $43 to box and deliver one game from Pennsylvania to Florida. And even if they did, I'd never pay Mr. BigBad that kind of money to ship me one game (unless a naked Angelina Jolie hand delivered it)

Mendon

It came up $42.77 to 33525 for me.

Sorry, but there is no way in hell that I believe USPS charges $43 to box and deliver one game from Pennsylvania to Florida. And even if they did, I'd never pay Mr. BigBad that kind of money to ship me one game (unless a naked Angelina Jolie hand delivered it)

Mendon

naked angelina jolie hand delivered it, she was delivered naked in the box, what evs.