IGNORED

Altirra 2.0 not working for me

bfollett

I have a newly installed pc with Win Xp 32bit and I downloaded Altirra 2.0. When I try to run Altirra 2.0 I get the following error message:

Altirra 8-bit computer emulator has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

There is a link on that dialog box that show more details, if that would help anyone figure out what is going wrong. If I install version 1.9 it works fine. Any ideas? I tried removing all references to Altirra from the registry, but that did not help.

Thanks,

Bob

Edited by bfollett

Is your directX up to date?

I'm presuming you are running the 1.9 final, if so there's been an awful lot graphical code changes in the 52 beta versions since that final.

The version you want is the June 2010 update...

Edited by Mclaneinc

I went to http://www.virtualdub.org/altirra.html and downloaded version 2. It doesn't say anything about it being a beta. That version crashes on my system. It's dated 12/24/11. If I download version 1.9 from that same web page, it works fine. I'm running direct x 9.0c

Thanks,

Bob

Edited by bfollett

Altirra doesn't require DirectX. It's highly recommended that you have it, and you will lose Direct3D and joystick capability otherwise, but it's designed to run without it if necessary. The various dated versions of the DirectX 9.0c install don't matter as Altirra doesn't use D3DX at all.

That you're getting the Windows crash dialog is a bit suspicious as it means that the crash is happening before the crash handler is installed. Could you try running with the following command-line flags: /resetall /hostcpu:none /gdi

This will wipe all settings and turn off acceleration routines. It might give you a better chance of launching, after which we could try narrowing down the problem. Otherwise, I think we'll have to try generating a minidump with NTSD (ntsd.exe -pv -p <pid>, .dump /m <file>).

Altirra doesn't require DirectX. It's highly recommended that you have it, and you will lose Direct3D and joystick capability otherwise, but it's designed to run without it if necessary. The various dated versions of the DirectX 9.0c install don't matter as Altirra doesn't use D3DX at all.

That you're getting the Windows crash dialog is a bit suspicious as it means that the crash is happening before the crash handler is installed. Could you try running with the following command-line flags: /resetall /hostcpu:none /gdi

This will wipe all settings and turn off acceleration routines. It might give you a better chance of launching, after which we could try narrowing down the problem. Otherwise, I think we'll have to try generating a minidump with NTSD (ntsd.exe -pv -p <pid>, .dump /m <file>).

Well I tried the command line switches you supplied, but that didn't help. I'm unsure of the use of NTSD.exe. There appears to be to fields in the command line that I need to supply: <pid> and <file>. If you could tell me what those fields need to be, I'll try running that. Also, I don't know if this is of any use, but here is a little more detail from the windows crash dialog:

AppName: altirra.exe AppVer: 2.0.0.0 ModName: altirra.exe

ModVer: 2.0.0.0 Offset: 00021e50

Attached is also a small text dump file that windows created. Again, I don't know if it's contents are of any use.

Thanks,

Bob

Altarri.txt

Crap, I know what the bug is. This was a bug in the AVX detection routine that I had fixed for VirtualDub 1.10.1 but that I had forgotten to integrate the fix over prior to Altirra 2.00. It causes a crash on systems that have AVX-capable CPUs (Sandy Bridge) but that are running an OS that don't support AVX (Windows XP).

Try this version, which should be fixed:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.10-test5.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.10-test5-src.zip

Thanks for posting the crash header. Ordinarily it's pretty useless, but it turns out in this case the PC was enough to identify the problem.

Crap, I know what the bug is. This was a bug in the AVX detection routine that I had fixed for VirtualDub 1.10.1 but that I had forgotten to integrate the fix over prior to Altirra 2.00. It causes a crash on systems that have AVX-capable CPUs (Sandy Bridge) but that are running an OS that don't support AVX (Windows XP).

Try this version, which should be fixed:

http://www.virtualdu...-2.10-test5.zip

http://www.virtualdu...0-test5-src.zip

Thanks for posting the crash header. Ordinarily it's pretty useless, but it turns out in this case the PC was enough to identify the problem.

Wow, that was quick. I thought I would just have to go with version 1.9 until a bunch of others got the error. In any case your version 2.10 does indeed fix the problem. Thanks for the quick responses and fix.

Now if someone knows a cheap way to get Windows 7, I could do away with XP. I don't want to spend full price on Windows 7 with Windows 8 due out next year.

Bob

Edited by bfollett

Bob, sorry for the misdirection re the Directx, I was sure Altirra used it for some reason, to make amends here a link to the blog where all the beta's are posted (apart from here)

http://virtualdub.org/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=361

As for a cheap Windows 7, here in the UK we have monthly weekend computer shows, normally they will sell you an OEM version dead cheap.

Bob, sorry for the misdirection re the Directx, I was sure Altirra used it for some reason, to make amends here a link to the blog where all the beta's are posted (apart from here)

http://virtualdub.or...ntry.php?id=361

As for a cheap Windows 7, here in the UK we have monthly weekend computer shows, normally they will sell you an OEM version dead cheap.

Thanks for the link to the betas It's funny about the computer shows. I used to go to them all the time before the internet took off and I was able to find better deals online. Here in the states, an OEM copy of Windows 7 is still about $100. I think I'll just hold out till Windows 8 comes out. It's actually amazing how many people still use XP considering it's a decade old now, but it is starting to show its age.

Bob

Edited by bfollett