IGNORED

Un-official PS1 thread

Atari Hacker

i spent most of my PS1 time getting a perfect game in Klonoa: Door To Phantomile. i also played the snot out of Bomberman Fantasy Race, the Final Fantasy I remake, Bomberman Party Edition, Rollcage Stage II, Lunar: Silver Star remake, and i'm sure there's a couple more i can't think of.

As I've said in another thread, my older brother was a game tester for Sony when the PS 1 came out. We had nearly every game.... I played way too much PS 1 in the late 90s,such great memories. I still remember when it first came out and the games were still packaged in the longboxes. Road Rash was the first PS game I ever played and that one had awesome music.

I loved Crash Bandicoot (beat the game once and saw the ending), Gran Turismo 2, Jumping Flash (very underrated game),Cool Boarders 3, Twisted Metal 1 & 2....tho the weirdest game I played on that was Tail of the Sun. I remember my brothers making fun of that game.

A tester? Damn....

Tail of the Sun. :lol: Wasn't that a game where your a caveman building up bones to reach the sky and the sun? The most bizarre game except for when I tried this:

1836588-box_icrisis_large.png

Edited by cimerians
  • Like 1

Incredible Crisis was awesome. I found out about it in Official US Playstation Magazine demos my stepdad used to get for free from a friend.

PS1 is my favorite system without competition. Just so many different kinds of games and I like a large number of them. The early 3D thing doesn't bug me at all, at least when it comes to games that are cartoony anyway like Spyro or Pac-Man. This was the one system that turned me ino an RPG whore. I never had RPGs for SNES until after I had some for PS1.

Sure, there were some clunkers on the PSX that haven't stood up over time... but that can be said for any popular system. Like most popular consoles, the number of standout games is enormous. There are dozens of games that are outright stunning although mostly forgotten, such as Fear Effect and R4.

Before this thread I've heard others complain about how the graphics haven't aged well, but I think that's a growing meme and the "whine of the month" among retrogamers. I suspect that 99% of those stating that opinion don't have a PSX hooked up to an analog CRT, which makes a world of difference in how the graphics look. I've played the same games on emulators, on LCDs, and on CRTs and it's shocking how bad the same game will look on a computer screen or LCD but how much better it will look on a CRT.

Before this thread I've heard others complain about how the graphics haven't aged well, but I think that's a growing meme and the "whine of the month" among retrogamers. I suspect that 99% of those stating that opinion don't have a PSX hooked up to an analog CRT, which makes a world of difference in how the graphics look. I've played the same games on emulators, on LCDs, and on CRTs and it's shocking how bad the same game will look on a computer screen or LCD but how much better it will look on a CRT.

I disagree, and agree with different parts of your statement.

Yeah, hooking a PSX up to anything but a CRT is a terrible idea. Thankfully I still haven't made the jump to these HDTV's. They're expensive, and I fear change.

But no. I don't blame this for people such as myself not thinking that the graphics have aged well.

I remember various systems, as an example, you'd buy a 2600, play the 2600, then buy a NES, play the NES, then buy a SNES, play the SNES, then after years and years you say "man, I could go some 2600", and you hook up the 2600. The 2600 is exactly as I remember it. At the time you'd think it looks great, but I always remembered how the past consoles truly looked. But going back to the PSX is a different matter. It's not how I remember it, and I think that's the main cause of people looking back in retrospect, as opposed to the younger people that only know the PS3, and then laugh at the PSX.

In a way, it's the opposite of other consoles. Some I look back on to memories past and think "wow, that was so much fun" I go back and play it and it was actually a pile of crap, but it looks the same as I remember. The PSX games gameplay are still how I remember. If it was good, it's good.

The PSX gives me many good memories. It's just a shame that my memories of the graphics are through rose coloured glasses.

As I've said in another thread, my older brother was a game tester for Sony when the PS 1 came out. We had nearly every game.... I played way too much PS 1 in the late 90s,such great memories. I still remember when it first came out and the games were still packaged in the longboxes. Road Rash was the first PS game I ever played and that one had awesome music.

I loved Crash Bandicoot (beat the game once and saw the ending), Gran Turismo 2, Jumping Flash (very underrated game),Cool Boarders 3, Twisted Metal 1 & 2....tho the weirdest game I played on that was Tail of the Sun. I remember my brothers making fun of that game.

A tester? Damn....

Tail of the Sun. :lol: Wasn't that a game where your a caveman building up bones to reach the sky and the sun?

Yea that's the one LOL.... I remember my brother saying it looks like a sucky game but after awhile it's strangely addicting. And yep ,my brother was a tester....his name is Jason Torres, I'm sure his name is in the credits of a bunch of games in the instruction manuals. I'm sure his name is in the Tail of the Sun manual.

Before this thread I've heard others complain about how the graphics haven't aged well, but I think that's a growing meme and the "whine of the month" among retrogamers.

The "it hasn't aged well" comment is certainly becoming a popular and tiresome sight whenever a 3D PSX game comes up for discussion. It does seem a trendy thing to bash the 3D from that era but I can definitely understand how some folks can find these games harder to play now when gamers are well accustomed to dramatically higher resolutions and other swanky trimmings of modern 3D graphics. Playing on a CRT helps to take the edge off of the low res nature of PlayStation-era 3D but it won't correct texture warping or extend draw distance or improve frame rate, things that could be genuine hurdles for gamers weaned on the comparitively seamless 3D worlds of today. Perhaps someday the 3D graphics of the 3DO/Saturn/PSX/etc age will be viewed as an appealing "style" like that of 2D from the 8-bit era.

• Like 1

The "it hasn't aged well" comment is certainly becoming a popular and tiresome sight whenever a 3D PSX game comes up for discussion.

It already sucked back in the day. I actually skipped first gen 3D as a whole - after the SNES the first console I bought new was the Wii. I got my first PSX way after it's shelf life for 10€ from a flea market and the only game I ever liked on it was Breath of Fire IV. Same goes for the N64, I can't remember a bigger disappointment than seeing 3Dified Mario and Zelda on it, coming from SMW and Link to the Past.

I love my redesigned PSOne. I'm glad I was late to the party and got in when the system was $50 new and most gems in the library could be had for a few dollars.

For anyone that skipped this generation because 3D games largely looked ugly, you missed out. There are no shortage of excellent and beautiful 2D creations on both the PSOne and the Saturn. And both have some excellent compilations of classic games that have provided me many hours of enjoyment (Such as the Digital Eclipse collections that actually supported the PSOne track-ball accessory).

I bet I have 100 excellent 2D games between the two in my collection (Sadly, there's not much to speak of in this area on the N64).

Before this thread I've heard others complain about how the graphics haven't aged well, but I think that's a growing meme and the "whine of the month" among retrogamers.

The "it hasn't aged well" comment is certainly becoming a popular and tiresome sight whenever a 3D PSX game comes up for discussion. It does seem a trendy thing to bash the 3D from that era but I can definitely understand how some folks can find these games harder to play now when gamers are well accustomed to dramatically higher resolutions and other swanky trimmings of modern 3D graphics. Playing on a CRT helps to take the edge off of the low res nature of PlayStation-era 3D but it won't correct texture warping or extend draw distance or improve frame rate, things that could be genuine hurdles for gamers weaned on the comparitively seamless 3D worlds of today. Perhaps someday the 3D graphics of the 3DO/Saturn/PSX/etc age will be viewed as an appealing "style" like that of 2D from the 8-bit era.

I just looked at a couple of games from that era on youtube, Virtua Fighter, Daytona and Tekken. They look so dated. I don't know why, but 3d just doest have the appeal that an old 2d game does. It's similar with 3d animation vs 2d animation, 2d animation from 50 years ago still looks lovely.

Tekken really does look terrible because of the polygons. I think that the polygonal games really age the worst. Once they moved past the really early polygons, the games become a lot more bearable.

Tekken 2 looks about 100% better. I think they used a lot more polygons and were more thoughtful about what angles they used them at in the game models.

Tekken really does look terrible because of the polygons. I think that the polygonal games really age the worst. Once they moved past the really early polygons, the games become a lot more bearable.

Tekken 2 looks about 100% better. I think they used a lot more polygons and were more thoughtful about what angles they used them at in the game models.

It's good to see that as time went by, the designers really got used to the big 3D change. The difference between the earlier games and the later ones can be astronomical.

Take Lendorien's example, but replace Tekken 2 with Tekken 3. Comparing Tekken with Tekken 3 is nuts. I wish I still had both games to that I could do some comparison screenshots.

Resident Evil, and Resident Evil Nemesis. Big difference.

Early experimentation leading up to later masterpieces.

I'm really feeling the itch to pick up some of my PS1 favourites. Too bad I "wasted" all my pay on Dreamcast games.

EDIT: I would pick some PS1 classics up for my PSP, but I just have such a hard time purchasing a game where I get no physical copy. But then I'm torn still because I really did handheld gaming, it's much easier that having to change which console I have set up. So having something like Abe's Oddysee on my PSP is both appealing to me, and unappealing. Maybe I'll just have to get both. Or maybe Sony should say "Hey, you know what, if you own the original we'll give you the PSP download for free." That'd make me happy. Stuff all chance of something like that happening though.

2nd EDIT: What was that game where you could chose a guy or a girl (from memory she looked like a dominatrix) and it was a 3rd person adventure game. I seem to remember being in dungeons, and it was melee combat with sword and what not. I don't really remember the goal of the game. And there were heaps of traps. Oh, duh. Never mind. Just put two and two together. Deathtrap Dungeon. I must check that one out again. I remember digging the game, but the controls were terrible.

3rd EDIT: Who else liked Crash Team Racing over Mario Kart 64? Surely I'm not the only one :D

Edited by DemonoidTentacle

After a 5-6 year full hiatus from gaming in the early/mid 90’s when I wanted to grow my hair long and play grunge guitar rather than play videogames, on a whim I decided to pick up a Playstation in ‘97 after earning a wad of cash from my first summer internship in university. I had many many late nights with my roommates, sitting around in the dingy living room of our rental pad, drinking beer and playing Playstation. The other 3 guys flunked out (due in large part to too much Playstation), but luckily I made it through with no trouble. It was a great time, in retrospect.

To this day, Twisted Metal 2 stands as one of my favorite console videogames of all time, alongside the likes of 2600 Frostbite, Tyson’s Punch-Out on the NES, Tetris on Gameboy, and Golden Axe on Genesis. I still play it today on my PS3. The soundtrack, the competitive action, the great controls, the ludicrous premise, the buggy physics, the tearing in the environments… it was all just a perfect disaster never to be replicated in the franchise, IMO. To this day I’m still downright indignant at that steaming pile of chud that was released under the name Twisted Metal 3. *shudder*

Tekken 2, Rally Cross, and some EA Baseball game were also big hits in the bachelor pad. I also remember this obscure game I picked up in a bargain bin for like $8; I believe it was called Robo-Pit. As I remember, you build up these cartoony looking robots with different parts and power-ups and battle against another player or the computer in various arenas. My roommates played that game for about 20 hours straight one time, but I never thought it was any more than, well, an $8 game.

I did notice that ripping on the primitive 3D graphics of the PS1 seems to have become an internet retrogamer in-joke of sorts, but for the most part, I have to agree with it. Not in all cases of course, but some of those games do look pretty rough today, as if they’re stuck in some kind of no-man’s land between the heyday of colorful 16-bit platformers from the early 90’s and the cutting edge 3D cinematics of today’s games.

I think any time you breach new territory, you risk eventually being accused of not having aged well. Blazing new trails is a dirty job but somebody has to do it. I watched T2 last week on Netflix, and while it’s still more than passable, the computer effects look almost amateurish compared to what you see nowadays in a Hollywood blockbuster, even though they were eye-popping 20 years ago.

• Like 1

Very timely thread for me to find. I have been organizing my systems and games, and after putting all my PS1 and PS2 games into the same big wallet, I have been replaying some games lately, and looking to buy some new PS1 games. I never owned many PS1 games back in the day. I was a Saturn fan, and a 2D fan, and I grew tired back then of all the many ugly early 3D games. But I don't mind playing some now.

So, i don't really own much for the PS1. Most of the games, my boys played as they grew up - we have all the Crash Bandicoots including CTR, we have Spyro. Most of my faves have been compilations - I love Namco 1 and 3, I love Konami Classics, I even have a fairly crappy Atari classics disc (I always found Atari's retro discs to be more poorly done than Namco/Konami/Capcom for some reason). I have the Activisions Classics - this was the first good Atari 2600 emu disc that came out, I hated the prior ones on the PC where "mom's" complaints could be toggled on/off - the emulation wasn't good on those.

I have a few shooters too - the one by Square (forget name, don't play it much), also Darius 3D one and the Xevious 3D one. Lately I rebought Tomb Raider 1, 2, and 3 (I used to greatly enjoy these!) and I've been messing around with TR2 mostly. Man, some of those wall textures look ugly on my 42" plasma.

Yesterday I found Gex and Namco Classics 4 (which I never see) - $5.00 each at The Exchange. I played a bit of each and I like them.

Got any other great games to recommend for me? I do NOT like any RPG's. I do NOT like Resident Evil games, tried those already. I was thinking about looking for those Abe's Odyssey games which I never played, they remind me of Flashback a bit and got good reviews I think. I'm kind of at the mercy of whatever is at the 2 or 3 local Exchange stores of course. How about Tekken 2 vs Tekken 3 vs Tobal ? I never really played those - which is better, Tekken2 or 3?

Destruction Derby vs Destruction Derby 2 ?

( I played lots of Alien Trilogy, in fact I think I must own it. Maybe I traded it in but I didn't think so..better search the closet deeper. )

At lunch I picked up these:

Tekken 3 (gets good reviews and seems to be a high-quality final-years PS1 game w/great visuals , so I'll play it).

Midway Classics (treasures?) 2 - the one with Joust2 and Tapper and Spy Hunter on it.

Lost Vikings 2 , I think. Its a sequel I never heard of. Will try it out.

Ridge Racer Revolution - the 2nd RR game I think. I wanted Rage Racer but they didn't have it.

I also saw the 2 Oddworld games. they are more pricy so I stopped buying with the above 4 games for now. the priciest games are the Capcom Marvel fights, Final Fantasy games (I don't want), and Lunar and Lunar 2 which I did not know got ported to PS1 ... these are over $50 used, each. (!)

Saw Pandemonium, I remember liking it but not enough to buy again. Saw Namco Classics 5 - it was pricey ($20 I think) and didn't have 1 game I recognized, so I passed. Lots of the games there are ones I've played in the past and don't want to pick them up even though I liked them back then -- Jet Moto, Rally Cross, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid,etc.

I saw a game that a young Caf Jr liked when I rented it ... Blasto, voiced by the late Phil Hartman. Couldn't remember if it was really good, really funny, or really terrible, so I passed.

( I played lots of Alien Trilogy, in fact I think I must own it. Maybe I traded it in but I didn't think so..better search the closet deeper. )

Tekken 3 (gets good reviews and seems to be a high-quality final-years PS1 game w/great visuals , so I'll play it).

Midway Classics (treasures?) 2 - the one with Joust2 and Tapper and Spy Hunter on it.

Ridge Racer Revolution - the 2nd RR game I think. I wanted Rage Racer but they didn't have it.

I also saw the 2 Oddworld games. they are more pricy so I stopped buying with the above 4 games for now. the priciest games are the Capcom Marvel fights, Final Fantasy games (I don't want), and Lunar and Lunar 2 which I did not know got ported to PS1 ... these are over $50 used, each. (!)

Saw Pandemonium, I remember liking it but not enough to buy again. Saw Namco Classics 5 - it was pricey ($20 I think) and didn't have 1 game I recognized, so I passed. Lots of the games there are ones I've played in the past and don't want to pick them up even though I liked them back then -- Jet Moto, Rally Cross, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid,etc.

I saw a game that a young Caf Jr liked when I rented it ... Blasto, voiced by the late Phil Hartman. Couldn't remember if it was really good, really funny, or really terrible, so I passed.

Blasto is awesome (you should get that) it is popular amongst classic gamers ;) Reminds me of the Buzz Lightyear ride at Disney.

AX

I bought a PS1 when they dropped the price to $100 for the console and 1 controller. I bought 2 games along with it, one of them being Alien Trilogy. I finished the first 2 parts of the trilogy but never quite made it through the third part. Alien Trilogy and Medal of Honor are my 2 favorites on the system so far. A few other faves are Vigilante 8 second offense, Sled Storm, Destruction Derby, and Crash Team Racing. I still have the console (which works fine) and the box.

I thought Vigilante 8 was a nice car combat game. I played that quite a bit.

Nice score on the Midway Collection 2. I owned that game twice. There's some solid titles on that disc like BurgerTime, Moon Patrol, and Spy Hunter.

If I'm not mistaken, that collection is also one of the few ways to officially play the arcade versions of Burgertime (Also available on Data East Arcade Classics on the Wii, albeit with audio issues) and Moon Patrol (Also on one of the Digital Eclipse compilations on the Dreamcast) on a console. Has gotten a lot of playtime here over the years.

It never seems to get mentioned, but I really liked The Italian Job (Based on the old movie, not the remake from a few years ago). Was a pretty late release but I thought it was well done and fun. Just too bad it's all over in 3 or 4 hours. But a the price it goes for, it's well worth it. Makes me wonder how well they could've pulled off GTAIII on this if they had tried.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kda-OqINvGA

Edited by Atariboy

After I retired my PSX in favour of a PS 2, I picked up the Final Fantasy re-makes (Anthology, Chronicles, Origins) and I have been working my way through some of those titles. I have a good handful of strange and quirky games (e.g. No One can Stop Mr. Domino, Board Game Top Shop) that have no equivalents on the PS 2.

Many of the 3D titles, and especially the sports games, have not aged very well.

I would love to find the Midway Collection 2, because, as noted above, some of those titles were never included in the various PS 2 compilations. I really miss playing Moon Patrol.

Tekken 3 was AWESOME...I was never a fan of the Tekken series, but I felt that part 3 was where the technology and the game finally met...wicked fun, lots of moves and fluid action. Highly recommended by me!

Tekken has never been better than it was with 3. Tekken Tag was a big letdown (bought it, played it once, never again) and played Tekken 4 at a friends house and it wasn't as good. Maybe I'm biased because of nostalgia, but that can't be right cause I played Tekken Tag on launch.

Edited by DemonoidTentacle

Since we have a PSOne thread going on, I thought I'd finally ask about an odd issue I've experienced over the years. I was late to the party and bought the system when the redesign was retailing for $50. And at the time, I bought a used 1st party memory card.

Anyways, that memory card has worked just fine since day 1 on my PSOne. But when I plug it into my PS2 if I try to play a PSOne game on it, my slim (Bought just a few weeks after the slims first launched) has never been able to recognize it. Official PS2 memory cards have always worked just fine on it.

Any ideas why my slim PS2 wouldn't be cooperating with my PSOne memory card?