IGNORED

best consoles for shmups and must haves for those systems

so_tough!

*Altered Beast voice thingy* RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE~

This thread is old, but whatever. Still relevant information, I guess.

For home consoles, Saturn is a god-system for shooting games. If you don't have a Saturn and you like shooters... get a Saturn because you NEED one. If you can only have one home console for shooters, make it this one.

Second place... I can't decide between SuperGrafx + Super CD-ROM2/SuperGrafx + RAU-30 + IFU + non-Super CD-ROM2 and the Japanese Mega Drive. They are equal or extremely close.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Cyber Core is another good one on the PC Engine and cheap too...

I also really want Terra Cresta II on the same system but its stupidly expensive.

Oh, yeah, I do have that, too. Side Arms, too. Terra Cresta II was one of the one's I had in mind for being too expensive, along with Sylphia. I'm apparently out of the loop, though, because I just learned my Terraforming is worth hundreds of dollars now! I'm glad I bought that when I did.

I do not like how difficult the shmups are on the pc engine. :(    I do however LOVE LOVE LOVE when shmups have an infinite lives and continues option, like many of the newly released ones do.  I suck at video games, and I will never "git gud", so I always have to play on the absolute easiest option available.  The TG16 games don't really offer that.

Recently picked up Sine Mora on PS4 and love that one and just recently got Darius Cosmic Revelations or whatever it's called and love that too.   R Type Final 2 is on pre-order for April 30th, can't wait!!!  

Next to racing games, shmups are my second fav genre along with beat em ups.  too many modern games feel like nothing more than interactive movies zzzzz.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, youxia said:

Reading this, I guess @Steven Pendleton is right, you can't really beat Saturn with its assortment of heavy hitters. I'd put PCE in second place then, followed by NeoGeo. Ok, so maybe it has only relatively few of these games compared to MD, but they're just so gorgeous and slick. Thinking about it now, perhaps I'd even push it up to #2 ?

Oof, Neo Geo and shooters? I can see it for Sonic Wings 2/3 and Striker 1945+, what else is even good on that system? I heard Pulstar was good, but I never actually played it.

Edited by Rhomaios

45 minutes ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

I do not like how difficult the shmups are on the pc engine. :(   I do however LOVE LOVE LOVE when shmups have an infinite lives and continues option, like many of the newly released ones do.  I suck at video games, and I will never "git gud", so I always have to play on the absolute easiest option available.  The TG16 games don't really offer that.

Recently picked up Sine Mora on PS4 and love that one and just recently got Darius Cosmic Revelations or whatever it's called and love that too.   R Type Final 2 is on pre-order for April 30th, can't wait!!!  

Next to racing games, shmups are my second fav genre along with beat em ups.  too many modern games feel like nothing more than interactive movies zzzzz.  

Most of the games on the PC Engine have Infinite continues. If they didn't on the TG16 that's because the localization team responsible for a game changed it. Gunhed, the PCE version of Blazing Lazers has Infinite continues but the TG16 is limited.

Also I would argue that the NES/Famicom has the hardest shmups of any console. Many have no auto fire and you have three lives and then game over, no continues. With the exception being the Compile games like Gun-Nac and Zanac.

Edited by DragonGrafx-16

Thank you for that info though, I just realized the japanese versions of the pc engine games are on my everdrive. Will try them out tonight with the infinite continues (although i tend to put games down that make you start at the beginning of a level).  My brain isn't wired for that crap, and i'm one of those people who doesn't believe in trying again after initial failure.

1 hour ago, Rhomaios said:

Oof, Neo Geo and shooters? I can see it for Sonic Wings 2/3 and Striker 1945+, what else is even good on that system? I heard Pulstar was good, but I never actually played it.

My favourites are Blazing Star, Alpha Mission II and Captain Tomaday. Last Resort and Viewpoint I haven't played much but they're also very interesting. There are a few more: http://www.arcade-collector.com/search-neogeo-genre-shoot-em-up

I like the Dreamcast and Saturn for shooters. Every console has some great shooters, but for me those two immediately comes to mind.

Thinking of Sega, the SG-1000 is a cool one for classic-style shooters. Hard to recommend over the NES, though, or even Colecovision--too obscure, too small a library. But the shooters it has are pretty good, certainly for their time--I'm partial to N-Sub, Borderline, Sega-Galaga, and when the mood strikes, Orguss. And one of these days I need to pick up Star Force. (Although speaking of the Coleco, a lot of the SG-1000 games have probably been ported by now anyway.)

10 hours ago, Rhomaios said:

Neo Geo has Andro Dunos (which is an excellent game and overlooked by pretty much everybody despite possibly being the best shooter on the Neo Geo), Twinkle Star Sprites, Blazing Star, Last Resort, Sonic Wings 2 and 3, Strikers 1945 Plus, Viewpoint (which I don't really care for because of... the viewpoint), ASO II, Zed Blade, and maybe a few more.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I see this question pop up frequently. I feel the PC Engine wins if you go by the sheer amount of shmups on it, but it's a bit of a quantity over quality situation there. Gameplay styles are also much more limited, as we hadn't hit later eras yet with more advanced scoring rules and gameplay styles.

Personally, I feel the 32-bit era is where it's at for the most well-rounded pool of offerings. With the Saturn and PS1 you have anything from early "Golden Age" shooters, all the way to the then-new bullet hells like Donpachi and Dodonpachi, and everything in between. There was a lot of variety and the quality was more consistent overall.

4 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Deep Blue and what else?

No... Avenger and Steam Hearts... I've not played Deep Blue. lol

Though the only real reason I didn't like Avenger was was that your bullets angled when you moved and the fact that is has a General MIDI soundtrack on a CD game.

And Steam Hearts is an erotica game hidden as a shmup. The actually gameplay is garbage and I never played long enough to see any erotic content. lol

• Like 2

I think that is a very fair critique of Avenger, if you don't like the way you can shoot at left and right angles in addition to straight on, it's not for you. Conversely, to me that is what makes it unique, and I really love Avenger.

Metal Stoker (directional lock) and Barunba (rotating aim) are others where due to the unique controls, I can see how some like them and some don't.

There ARE bad shooters for PC-E. Deep Blue I think is not as bad as it's rep but yeah...it ain't good. IMO Legion is a real dud, Rock On is pretty terrible, as are Power Gate and Hawk F-123 (which I actually really like the LOOK of, but man the games are not good). L-Dis also...pretty meh.

I'd also say, and this is not so important in the days of SD cards and burned discs....many of the PC-E shooters that command a lot of loot just don't deserve it. There's lots of games where the price is three digits regularly it seems, and there is so much, that is so good, for so much less.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GoldenWheels said:

I think that is a very fair critique of Avenger, if you don't like the way you can shoot at left and right angles in addition to straight on, it's not for you. Conversely, to me that is what makes it unique, and I really love Avenger.

Metal Stoker (directional lock) and Barunba (rotating aim) are others where due to the unique controls, I can see how some like them and some don't.

There ARE bad shooters for PC-E. Deep Blue I think is not as bad as it's rep but yeah...it ain't good. IMO Legion is a real dud, Rock On is pretty terrible, as are Power Gate and Hawk F-123 (which I actually really like the LOOK of, but man the games are not good). L-Dis also...pretty meh.

I'd also say, and this is not so important in the days of SD cards and burned discs....many of the PC-E shooters that command a lot of loot just don't deserve it. There's lots of games where the price is three digits regularly it seems, and there is so much, that is so good, for so much less.

You can find bad shooters on any system. Not sure why the PCE gets picked on.

• Like 1