IGNORED

Archiving floppy disks

KirkDCO

yes, i done the same work for some disks. into my PEB i have:

drive 1: floppy drive 5.25"

drive 2: floppy drive 3.5"

drive 3: HxC Sd Card Drive

so i done a copy from 5.25" to 3.5" and from pc i can read the 3.5" floppy using Ti99-pc program.

the floppy drive must be a 720kb drive not an HD 1.44Mb... (this one could not work on the PEB)... and it will be formatted at the same of a 5.25" floppydisk.

on pc you should install the omniflop driver on windows.

after that the normal pc formatted disk will be unreadable and you will read the ti99 formatted disks using TI99-PC.

the floppy drive must be a 720kb drive not an HD 1.44Mb... (this one could not work on the PEB)... and it will be formatted at the same of a 5.25" floppydisk.

Actually the Ti can use 1.44 HD drives with no modification on the TI provided you either jumper the HD detection switch on the drive or use DD (720K) floppies.

Using HD floppies also works provided the HD detection is defeated but they are very unreliable and prone to data loss in my experience. They also seem to have problems on the PC side with unreliability when used as DD disks instead of HD ones.

I have also found that when used in conjuction with 5.25" drives on the same cable then the physical order of the drives should be 3.5" first with the 5.25" at the end of the cable with proper termination. IE....... FDC -> 3.5" -> 5.25" -> termination. I have a theory that the 3.5" drives aotu termination does not work well for the older 5.25" drive and will shell it out after use (could just be that they are old and prone to failure..

Good luck...

• 4 weeks later...