IGNORED

Altirra and cartridge images

morelenmir

Hey Forum!!!

I have very recently switched from Atari800Win Plus to the hugely superior Altirra. It is an excellent programme at every level, although a good part of my initial decision was due to the very useful 'attach special cartridge'/blank cartridge image feature it offers. However I am having a couple of problems while trying to produce an up-to-date SDX cartridge.

Altirra WILL accept standalone .car images - which require no specification of the cartridge type due to their internal header imformation. However, it will not produce same. You can specify to save the current cartridge as 'Cartridge Image with Header' - but this just produces a .bin file which itself cannot be loaded back in to Altirra. If a 'raw' cartridge image is saved, without headers then it will at least load - albeit after asking for the saved format.

I was wondering if anyone can pass on a tip to creare either .car images in Altirra, or else perhaps point me towards an external tool to convert headerless .bin files into standalone .car files.

This is a bug -- it shouldn't allow you to create .CAR files for those cartridge types. The problem is that Altirra supports some cartridge types that aren't supported by the .CAR format and don't have type codes assigned to them, including several of the newer flash-based cartridge types. Currently there is no solution for this other than to save raw cartridge images.

Hey Avery! Thanks for clearing that up.

I didn't want to bother you with this directly nor side-track the bug/feature request comments on your site. I am still very much feeling my way around the 8-bit atari emulator world at the moment and therefore have many questions I am afraid!