IGNORED

opinion of Super Mario Sunshine

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be in the minority here, but it's actually one of my favorite 3D Mario games. There are 2 criticisms it commonly gets:

1) the premise of cleaning up the island (and the art in general) is too kiddy, even for a Mario game

2) the camera is annoying

There's some validity to both, but if you don't get hung up on either too badly there's a lot of fun and variety to be had.

I couldn't get into it. It's the wandering around with no clear direction that turned me off of this game and Super Mario 64. I didn't even mind the water mechanic. It wasn't until Super Mario Galaxy that I enjoyed a 3D Mario game. Super Mario 3D Land is also great.

As compared overall to all games, it's a good game. However, in comparison to other Mario titles, I found this one to be a bit mediocre at best. It strayed way too far away from the original formula and left a rather bland impression on me, as far as Mario games are concerned.

Of course, I never bothered to finish the game as a result, although I might do that later at some point.

I couldn't get into it. It's the wandering around with no clear direction that turned me off of this game and Super Mario 64. I didn't even mind the water mechanic. It wasn't until Super Mario Galaxy that I enjoyed a 3D Mario game. Super Mario 3D Land is also great.

It was also tough for me to get into Mario 64, after a certain point I lose my momentum. Galaxy was also the 1st 3D game that I really got into, along with GTA IV.

Hm. I liked it a lot, but I will admit that the watergun mechanic can be frustrating at times, and yes, it can get a little repetitive. Still, I played it in spurts rather than all at once, so it wasn't as bad for me as it might have been if I tried to go through it in a couple back to back sittings.

Honestly, I think it's a very good Mario game. It is a little different than your typical Mario games but I give Nintendo kudos for trying to do something different. My only problem is that I found it to be kind of difficult. I would reach a certain point and could not get any more Shine Sprites. Some of the stages seem way too difficult. Still, overall it is a good game.

Honestly, I think it's a very good Mario game. It is a little different than your typical Mario games but I give Nintendo kudos for trying to do something different. My only problem is that I found it to be kind of difficult. I would reach a certain point and could not get any more Shine Sprites. Some of the stages seem way too difficult. Still, overall it is a good game.

In so far as I can tell, there are two other non-traditional Super Mario Bros games: SMB 2, and, technically, Yoshi's Story. While all Mario games are tough in my opinion, these two are particually difficult. SMB 2 especially is as tough as nails; I beat it as a child but never as an adult.

I do find it cool, however, that Nintendo has subsequently cannonized its Mario series departures instead of retconning them the f out (like what we have witnessed Konami do with the Castlevania series, for example).

Edited by toptenmaterial

I really liked it - with the exception of Baby Bowser, I really hated him as a boss character. Otherwise I loved the water gun mechanics and the camera didn't bother me that much. It's a really pretty game assuming you can get over the fact it doesn't really have the large variety of themed worlds that traditionally Mario games have had.

• Like 1

I loved it. Its my favorite 3d mario game. I don't understand why everyone dislikes it so much. you know what would be awesome? a 3ds Mario sunshine sequel thing :P

Nintendo said that they weren't doing 3DS Galaxy, for example, because Mario himself appears too small on the portable screen. But then again, we got Super Mario 64 DS, so you never know! The 3DS is perfectly capable of doing 3D open world gaming.