IGNORED

Playstation ?

moycon

Well jerry if mod chips are illegal is the playstation boot disk illegal if not why :?  

It performs the same as a modchip the difference is swaping disks.

I'm not 100% certain but I think they were found illegal in a court test along with the game enhancers for essentially the same functionality.

I'll find out and report back.....

jerry

And after all, if you really want to play import games, buy an imported PS and play them on that.  Nothing illegal about it.

why buy an imported ps then you have to buy an american ps or ps2 which is needed to play u.s. games of course. why not just buy a boot disk. the boot disk i'm taking about doesnt require lid to be open while it's running .

Exactly !

* looks at stacks of Japanese PS1's, PS2's and Dreamcasts *  :D

Don't worry about you're Dreamcast just go ncsx they sell a

custom mod chip that only plays imports and not CD-R's. I use a boot disk

for my import(s) and if jjessop is correct this could be illegal so I'll have to

buy a chip :?

2: Backups are not illegal, CORRECT, but ONLY if you personally make the SINGLE backup copy. You cannot purchase it from a "backup" service.

How am I supposed to make a D.C backup "myself" or a PS/2 or a G.C

or ...... These companies should have a backup service so you can get a

game copied for a backup on the actual media used for the system at

the cost of materials used and postage.

They want to stop piracy and thats fine but while they're steping on my

rights under law they can get F@|

They should give us a solution or we will continue to make our own.

First a little history lesson on how and why the "personal backup" right exists. It stems back to the days of the very first personal computers and 8" floppy drives. Early drives would trash disks if the media was ejected while running or the field of the head collapsed when power was lost, usually by mistake. It's this 30 year old problem, fixed 25 years ago, that is the current justification for todays personal backups.

Todays drives and media are not prone to these problems and almost without exception, scratches and smudges on CD or DVD media can be repaired with products readily availible on the market. I work with CD media all day long and have never had a disk damaged under normal circumstances that I could not easily recover. I have taken steel wool to PlayStation disks and with a product called the "disk doctor" resurfaced each to working order.

What other product that you buy will give you a free or at cost replacement forever? BTW: Most game companies do have a reasonable replacement policy, not all, but many.

The technical arguments for media backups are long gone.

Jerry

Todays drives and media are not prone to these problems and almost without exception, scratches and smudges on CD or DVD media can be repaired with products readily availible on the market. I work with CD media all day long and have never had a disk damaged under normal circumstances that I could not easily recover. I have taken steel wool to PlayStation disks and with a product called the "disk doctor" resurfaced each to working order.  

What other product that you buy will give you a free or at cost replacement forever? BTW: Most game companies do have a reasonable replacement policy, not all, but many.

The technical arguments for media backups are long gone.

Jerry

Heh, I could swear that's close to exactly what you told me at CGExpo. I realize now you must get asked that hundreds of times, so I apologize if I gave you the same old tired question. I will say your answer then as now was very convincing as far as CD/DVD media goes. However, I still think there's a legitimate right to back up cartridges, especially EPROMS, and I hope that some day courts will recognize these aren't as "permanent" as their old manufacturers would like us to think.

How am I supposed to make a D.C backup "myself" or a PS/2 or a G.C

or ...... These companies should have a backup service so you can get a

game copied for a backup on the actual media used for the system at  

the cost of materials used and postage.

They want to stop piracy and thats fine but while they're steping on my

rights under law they can get F@|

They should give us a solution or we will continue to make our own.

They wouldn't do that. At best you could send in damaged media, and they'll send you a new one...can't have a secondary market in people selling their honest backups, now, can they...

Exactly !

* looks at stacks of Japanese PS1's, PS2's and Dreamcasts *  :D

Well, for some people that would make sense. But other people don't have enough money to pay $200 or more for a system more than once. Actually, I don't have enough money to pay $200 for a system even ONCE :D :P :D