IGNORED

Super Pro Decathalon rarity

Rev

Well it appears that we the buyers can also set the rarity. Since another one kept going unsold and finally did sell in the $30 range now others are popping up around the same price. Maybe it was a follow the leader kind of thing.

If you look at completed auctions you will see that one sold in auction for $27. So more than likely this guy is basing his pricing off of that. Combined with a lack of demand for the game?

I base my auctions by looking at completed auctions.

Edited by IntellivisionDude

I could of swore that Super Pro Decathalon used to sell for in the 50 to 80 dollar range.

There is one on Ebay right now for BuyitNow 30.00. And i think this a relist as well from the other week when it was 35.00 and no one bought it.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 180790962961

Item specificsp><p>Item specifics&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Does price not = rarity?

Generally $75-100, but this guy must have a box or two of these that he's been listing the last month or two. For $30 somebody should have bought this game by now!

I hadn't bought a retro game thing in a long time so I got this. Thanks for pointing it out.

As soon as you bought that, he just put another one up for sale. How many Decathlons does this guy have? LOL

Maybe cylonrdr is actually Cmart. He's the only guy i know with this many Decathlons. ;)

I hadn't bought a retro game thing in a long time so I got this. Thanks for pointing it out.

As soon as you bought that, he just put another one up for sale. How many Decathlons does this guy have? LOL

Maybe cylonrdr is actually Cmart. He's the only guy i know with this many Decathlons. ;)

While i am a BSG fan, I promise it's not me, as a matter of fact I bought one of his Decathlons a couple of weeks ago to add to my hoard. :). He can't have an unlimited supply so I'd suggest anyone who needs this should buy it if he keeps listing them at this price. I wish he had some other similar rarity games he could also list with low BINs. :)

Edited by cmart604

a fair price fot this is around 45$

this game is rare but not selling high who knows why

I know I've paid a lot higher than that for almost all of mine. :_(

i think i paid like 75 for mine a good while back. and mine has a tear on the box......

I know I've paid a lot higher than that for almost all of mine. :_(

i think i paid like 75 for mine a good while back. and mine has a tear on the box......

The current one has some scuffs and marks on it but is it better than yours?

I'm just happy to get one of the rare titles for a good price. Can't wait to get it.

It's also one of the rarer games which is actually a lot of fun to play. Glad to see you got a great price on it.

Really? I figured it probably was no good. I've never even seen pictures of the game so it'll be like getting a brand-new title to me.

Does price not = rarity?

No. Price = Demand (roughly). And demand doesn't necessarily indicate rarity. See the Final Fantasy and vintage Nintendo markets, where games everyone and their mothers had now command prices of $10-15 (SMB3), $20-25 (Mario 64), or $40+ (FF7). Those are the games people remember, and those are the games people want to play/buy when they get the retro itch.

Also see something like the Odyssey 2, which is arguably more rare than a close substitute like Atari VCS, but sells for considerably less on average. People generally aren't familiar with it, and unless they're collectors, they won't care. It's also arguably an inferior product compared to the Atari. Demand for Odyssey < demand for Atari; hence, price for Odyssey < price for Atari.

Rarity only means something to collectors, and that's a small market.

It's an obscure game for a relatively obscure system. As I said above, its rarity is meaningful only to collectors (specifically, Intellivision collectors and people who hope to sell to Intellivision collectors). How many Intellivision collectors are there vs. Atari collectors or Nintendo collectors or people that aren't interested in Intellivision generally? How many of the already tiny number of Intellivision collectors already own this game?

Basically, there isn't much demand for a cartridge like Super Pro Decathlon. At least, not at the price point it was at. There could be any number of reasons for that. Maybe the economy has forced buyers/collectors to reevaluate what they spend their disposable cash on? Maybe the pool of people willing to spend $45+ for the game has dried up? Maybe people have other collecting priorities?

As an Intellivision fan and collector who, incidentally, doesn't own Super Pro Decathlon, I'm more than happy to see prices drop. :grin:

:)

Super Pro Decathlon used to be a $70 game -- I remember seeing a CIB copy on AA for that much, and was tempted, but I'm glad I held out for a recent copy that cost half that much. It'll be interesting to see if the recent flood of CIB copies depresses the price permanently.

And this guy said he found a box of these in a warehouse or something like that, right? Let's hope it's not the only one! I'd have mixed emotions about a Spiker warehouse find since I'd feel bad for my colleagues who paid $1k for a copy, but a warehouse find of Super Cobras, Tutankhams, or Body Slams would be very, very welcome.

BTW the game is very much in the vein of other track-and-field games. It's fun enough, but makes me a little nervous for the welfare of my controllers, honestly. Maybe it's a good choice to bust out the Intellivision II? :D

I would say this is a not one of the rarer INTV games.

In fact, this was one of the games you could get free with a total purchase of $50.00 from the INTV catalogs.

About 10-12 years ago I sold a bunch of these for $30 each on ebay.

In the same time frame, I was getting $125 for test carts and $100 for S.P. Skiing, $80 for Stadium mud buggies BOX and Inst. only.

I also sold a bunch of mint unformed boxes/Inst. of Dig Dug, Tower of Doom etc.

I had bought several hundred carts, boxes , overlays and instructions from James Hann? I think his name was? JHC? I think was the company.

I sold and traded these carts to finish My intellivision collection.

After I completed My collection, I traded someone? All my remaining stock for 4 other rare carts, a colecovision and about $750.

I could have made a ton more $$ but I was sick of going to UPS and USPS every other day!

James offered to sell me the Official Intellivision repair center and all the parts, stock and equipment at a great deal.

I would loved to have done it... But I did not have room for all of that "stuff" and even though I went to electronics school

and did component level trouble shooting and repair for several years, I was now working in the database field and was completely burnt out with fixing hardware.

Now I have the room and would even like to dabble in electronics again. Timing is everything!

Wish I kept a few of those doubles that jumped in price over the years and/or bought a crap load of controllers from James!

I have a few mint ( but OLD ) controllers left, they seem to flake out pretty quickly. Must be dry cracking or something. :(

Happy new year to all...