IGNORED

I was about to make an offer, but ...

Rybags

post-7804-0-46886400-1326000812_thumb.jpg

Just saw this on eBay, he wants $50 for an honestly advertised XEGS "Not working" with 2 light guns.

I was just typing up an offer for machine only, keep the guns, but decided why bother?

Can you see what the problem is? Click SPOILER to reveal second pic which makes it a lot more obvious.

Note: absense of keyboard is not the answer.

post-7804-0-15229300-1326000818_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rybags

Innocent enough mistake I suppose.

But you'd reckon Atari would have realised the potential for disaster at the time the 800XL design was finalised.

Is that the reason came with that BRAINDEAD power connector on the Atari 7800? Never seen such a terrible PSU-connector in my life. When you look at it, it'll already have a short power-cut.

One extreme to the other.

Go from a commonplace connector that could easily lead to mistakes to one that nobody else would ever contemplate including in their design.

Actually - maybe not. It has a similar look to some of the connectors used in cars.

It'd be the sort of thing they'd use in some inaccessable place with no retaining mechanism, so your stereo would stop working and you'd have to pay the dealer $500 in labour to pull the dash apart to get at it.

Edited by Rybags

I always wondered why Atari used "DIN" Plugs for the A8, even worse for the power supply....

They actually put some thought in that. Power is a 7 pin version, which is very uncommon (at least over here) in that pin layout. Monitor is a 5 pin version, very common back then, so easy to get some adapter cables to connect to monitors of other brands since Atari had none of their own.

A 5 pin DIN can be connected to the power input but this doesn't harm anything. The reverse is not possible. You can't plug the 7 pin DIN into the monitor connection or any other audio equipment with such a DIN.

I think it's much worse power supplies exist with a 5 pin DIN. That's what I'd call not a smart move.

But if it fits it should work! This is a big problem with Atari Jaguar power inputs. People are always thinking they can plug in another adpater (like an NES one) becuase the plug fits, but oops! Forgot about that pesky AC/DC thing...this even happen to one of my Jaguars, becuase I let a friend borrow it, but he forgot the power pack, and even before I discovered it he had already tried an NES power pack and destroyed my Jaggy. :mad: This was back when the Jag was new and cost $250!

So, with the Commodore power-pack is it an AC/DC thing or wrong power to the wrong pins or what?

Edited by Gunstar

Well,

if the Commodores (with or without Lionel Richie) are so stupid to put in their power supplies into Atari computers, thats their fault then. Its much worse on the Atari Lynx - here you can use the original Atari Lynx power supply, thanks to the headphones and Com-Lynx cable beneath the power input, one false go and you have a dead Lynx (usually this happens when you use the headphones for the power input)...

-Andreas Koch.

Yes, the C64 psu has 5V DC and 9V AC, and the PSU gets shorted as soon as you plug it in, and then when you turn on the A8, it gets both the 5v and the 9V sent in...

So both the A8 and the PSU are most likely to be toast if this is done...

sloopy.

But if it fits it should work!

Ever tried doing tech support for the general public? There are some very interesting definitions of 'fits' out there. Personally having to put your entire bodyweight behind forcing a connector in doesn't satisfy my definition but for some people....

On the Jaguar power supply issue, a power supply from a Sega Genesis model 1 will work a Jaguar without any issues. Actually, if look at both power supplies they are designed identical. I had to replace my Jag's power supply years ago and went to Game X Change to try and find an alternative. When I seen their packaged Genesis model 1 combo and noticed the power supply, I asked to see an original power supply to one. I read all the writing on both power supplies and for the most part, every technical aspect matched. The only difference I seen was one said Sega and the other said Atari. Same shell design and everything.

I'm not familiar with a Commodore power supply like that one shown in the picture, but common sense should tell you that Atari is not Commodore and vice versa. Just sayin'.