IGNORED

Custom Atari idea

johnnywc

Hello all,

Last night I was playing my X-box and it got me thinking about a custom case for my Atari 2600 so that I can stack it in my stereo component cabinet.

Here are my thoughts:

1) put the Atari in a component case (much like a VCR)

2) Wire the cartridge slot to the front of the case (like where a VCR tape would go). This would probably have to be recessed a bit so the cartridge wouldn't stick out so much.

3) Wire the power switch, Color/BW, difficulty switches, select and reset to the front of the case

4) Do the video/stereo mod and add the connectors to the back (including the power adapter)

5) Wire the controller ports to the front also

Other ideas (a little more difficult) would be to include either a custom controller port for remote control of reset/select/diff./colorbw (with a custom controller) or even an INFRARED port and a programmable remote control (not sure if this is do-able). I would also use extension cables for the joysticks. I guess I'm just looking for a way to have my custom Atari "on display" in the stereo cabinet (along with my other hi-tech :) components like my VCR and XBOX) and be able to play it without pulling it out of the cabinet all the time.

Does this sound like something that can be done? Is it possible to buy generic component "shells" anywhere? I'm not sure if I'm adept enough at soldering and cutting cases to do this but I thought it would be cool...

I forgot about that, that is VERY nice indeed!!! Especially since its put right into an audio rack like that! He should make more, I was working in the Security Team of Exodus (Now Cable & Wireless) where most of the major firms host their sites or their internet backbones and its just rows and rows of IDF racks like that, we could've used a racked 2600 in every customer cage, no one would've ever gone home!!! :-)

Curt

Thanks for the ideas!!! Paul - that link to the rack-mounted Atari is exactly what i'm looking for (as far as the inside is concerned) - now if I could only find an empty shell to put it in so I can proudly display it in my stereo cabinet!!! :) Does anybody know where such a generic case could be found? Are there resources that actually sell these things? (just a black case the size of a VCR that I could drill holes and mount the Atari in)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

You might want to try big electronics parts stores and look at their enclosures. I don't know about your area, but big mail order electronics parts dealers include Mouser, Digikey or Newark Electronics. You might find an enclosure that fits a stereo cabinet. They all come in natural aluminum, so a paint job may also be needed.

Gosh, just talking about this makes me want to do the same thing! :)

atarian1 -

Thanks for the tip!! I found a website that sells plastic enclosures:

http://www.pactecenclosures.com/index.lfml

The model CF-175 or LH129-250 look like good candidates.

Question on making the holes: does anybody have any ideas here? The circles for the AV jacks, buttons, etc can be done with a drill I'm sure (on slow speed) but what about the rectangle for the cartridge slot? How about mounting the cartridge connector?

Thank you everyone for all your help!

[/url]