IGNORED

Commodore 1084S Color Dim Problem

bbking67

I just scooped a Commodore 1084S (for $10!!!), and it works. However, the color is not very vibrant (I am using the Chroma/Luma mode). I think I have everything set up okay (the three buttons on the backj are pushed in).

Basically the color at the max is not quite enough... on my Commodore 1701, I can put the color in total saturation mode... comparitively, max on the 1804S is about the one third setting for color on the 1701. the brightness seems okay. It's not razor sharp--kind of a soft image, but not really blurry and totally acceptable.

is there an adustment that can help me? Or is this symptomatic of a failing monitor?

/bbking67

Not sure about the colour saturation comparison (never owned a 1701), but I have two 1084S monitors (a D1 and a D2) and the pictures on both are kind of "soft" (at least when compared to a Philips CM8833-II). I reckon it's the tubes (Orion), but if it was really blurred (which you say it isn't), you could always adjust the focus pot on the flyback.

It's also possible that the phosphor has degraded somewhat, or there's a degree of magnetisation on the tube (and this is where my "knowledge" stops!).

Question: do you have any dark, speckled areas in the corners of the tube? Just curious, since both of mine have.

Edited by flashjazzcat

No dark speckled areas that I can see. I might try and adjust the focus, but it's okay, just not enough color. the guy I bought it from said that he used it as a TV for a few years, so that probably put a lot more hours on it than if it had been exclusively a computer monitor. I'm really crossing my fingers that I'll be able to boost the color because it's a nice monitor.

Edited by bbking67

At least using it as a TV would minimize the risk of burn-in. I'm certain you can adjust the RGB gun intensity by opening up a CRT, but it's not something I would attempt - the risk of completely screwing the calibration is probably great.

They are lovely monitors, these. Well worth saving.