IGNORED

APE for the ST?

Gunstar

As many of you already know, the 8-bit Atari's have the APE/SIO2PC cables and software to use PC hardware through virtual drives. I really like this as I basically have a hardrive, cdrom, 3.5"floppy and printer and modem from my PC available for my 8-bit. Does the ST have anything similiar to this? I'd love to just hook-up my ST through a com or printer port and gain access to this hardware like the 8-bits...

That would be better than nothing I guess, but with the 8-bit, I can download software, put it on the PC's hardrive, floppy, or burn it to cdr and then instantly have access to them through A.P.E

If I want to play a game I have on cd for the 8-bit, I just put the cd in the PC's drive, load up APE on the PC, turn on my 8-bit, and load the file right off the cd into my 8-bit and play. It's just like having all that hardware directly connected to my 8-bit, except that it doesn't load them quite as fast throught com1 port, but does load about 20 times faster than a floppy disk in my 8-bit's 1050 drive...Plus I can get on the net or print stuff out with my 8-bit through the PC's modem and printer. I just wondered if any innovative individuals had ever made a similiar cable&software for the ST. It would be wonderful.

I think it isn't made yet, and it won't be made so soon. that's because the atari st diskdrives are just normal 3.5'' 720KB pc standart drives. so you have to emulate a normal diskdrive. Off course it can be done, but it seems for me more difficult then a sio2pc circuit.

Thelen

Well, i guess I'll just have to go the standard route and get an external cdrom and connect a hardrive to my ST. I was just looking for a cheaper route than sonstructing or buying a harddrive interface. Any suggestions on any cd-rom drives that are pretty much plug and play? That I can just plug into my ST, and with a driver or such, start using it? Or does one have go get an interface like when connecting a PC IDE drive to the ST?

Where did you get that!?!?!? Can you hook up an ST to an IBM network. I would love to be able to use my Cable Modem with an ST.

It is not problem today, just buy or make interface for ethernet card for your ST. I have EtherNEC and it work nice with my TOS machine. More info at http://hardware.atari.org

With my Mega2ST I can only get FTP working. There are some possible options of hooking your ST into a Windoze network and see drives but I think you need a newer TOS than 1.6 like I have and possibly some more memory.

Mine is a ethernet cartridge that was originally a 'parallel port' network card. Helped me back up my ST hard drive which was my main motivation, though with all the new stuff out I may use it to transfer disks ;)