IGNORED

Intellivision System Built-In Font - is it owned?

Akito01

This might seem an odd question, and I can understand if there isn't a clear cut answer.

I've started creating games on XNA for the 360 indie channel. The first one is done, which is a kind of homage to Game & Watch style LCD games (it will be published pending peer review, so pretty soon). For my second game, I'd like to evoke the visual style of an Intellivision game. Part of the key to this is recreating the system font; the dot in the middle of the zero is quintessentially Intellivision.

One of the things I encountered when starting with XNA is the fact that fonts are ‘owned’. There are a specific set of fonts that Microsoft has registered for use in XNA. Of course, you are free to create your own, and I would have to create my Intellivision font from scratch in Photoshop or Paint.

But, how close can I get to the original Intellivision system font? That depends on whether it is ‘owned’ (presumably by Keith Robinson, who owns the Intellivison OS) or if it is free to use.

Rev, that's a great website! Thanks for the link!

Akito, I guess asking permission directly to Keith is the best solution. If he doesn't reply, usually the "silence is assent" rule holds (that's what I was told by a lawyer years ago in similar situations).

Cheers!

Didn't know we had a fellow App Hub person here, welcome Akito, and gl on your soon to be released indie game :)

Fingers crossed. Just put in the corrected version of my first game back into peer review.

I found the kind of font I was looking for, called 'Intellect', which I'm using provisionally for now:

http://www.angelfire.com/sc/pete2049/GSpot/Fonts.htm

I've already sent an email to the owner of that site to see what the status of that font is. I will also follow advice and send an email to Keith to see what's what.