IGNORED

Hi everybody! :D

Lodmot

Hey,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Tom, and I'm a video game nerd. xD

I recently saw a video on programming for the Atari 2600, and I didn't realize how easy it was to make games for it using batari basic. So, all day yesterday I messed with it, and I've now gotten to the point where I can write my own simple games from scratch. So far, I've made 3 games:

Musician -- This isn't exactly a game, but it's the first actual Atari "program" I made yesterday. It makes use of both joysticks to play music notes, so you can (sorta) use your Atari as a 30-year old computer instrument? xD I dunno, I was just mucking about.

Shooter Test -- This one is more like an actual game, and it took me the longest to make. It was also my first shot at programming AI in Batari Basic. I thought it came out pretty good. The hard part was getting the missiles to work correctly. Basically you're a smiley face, and you shoot a frowny face who is also shooting at you. This game's pretty funny. Lol. It's like a battle between yin and yang.

AVGN -- This is my first serious attempt at programming music for the Atari 2600. I didn't even realize the Atari HAD two sound channels, which I totally took advantage of when I figured that out! XD I thought it came out pretty nice. :D

Well, that's all I wanted to share. Unfortunately, I don't have any of the source code for this stuff. I didn't think I needed it anymore, so I deleted it. But, I just wanted to see what everyone thought for my first time making something. Thanks! ^^

AVGN.bin

Musician.bin

Shooter Test.bin

Welcome to the forums.

Just a random suggestion-- next time, you may want to keep the source code handy. :)

Even if you're not planning to keep the source code, you can always post it here, so if you want to pick it back up, it's someplace.

You never know when somebody might say "hey, I like this, and could you make this little tweak?"

And, after a bunch of those types of iterations, you may end up with an amazing game. It's happened before.

Anyhoo, welcome aboard the world of 2600 programming.

-John