IGNORED

Atari 400/800 computers 33 years old

Sean39

Hi everyone

I am starting this thread in hopes we can get an ideal what old computers are still floating around. See in 1977 Commodore

released it computer called the. Commodore PET, and Apple had their Computer also.

Now Atari started working on the 400 and 800 models and release them in November of 1979.

Here is what I would like to do. Since we all love atari computers so much and if we did not we sure would not be on this site

would we. Ok I think we need to make a list of Serial # 's of the Atari computer that are left around. models 400 and 800.

We are now talking about computer that have been around for 33 years and I bet more than half are gone ,or in trash cans

due to them not working anymore. Anyways the computers that are left it is important to know which ones have the extreamly low

serial #'s so we can see if there is any left from 1979 or 1980. I really hope everyone likes this ideal but it would be nice

to know if there is any true 1979 Atari computers left. Next to you serial# is a 3 digit number or above your serial # this is a date

code. You may see 182 as an example this would be the 18th week in 1982 real simple. Now on the lower serial # units you

will see on the bottom of your computer towards the back say Atari / 081 in the color silver this would be a date code of the 8th week

1981 . Now you know how to read the date codes. This way you can tell if your computer is one of the early one.

Please lets see who has the real early atari 400's and 800's computers I think this will be really cool

you can also place your mamber name next to your computer. I place a Chip date inside the computer and the case date that in silver

on mine. you do not have to do this.

Thanks sean

Please place Serial Number and date code on yours for the 400 under this list.

Serial #----------------------------- Date Code ---------------------------Member name

024184 ---------------------Chip date 3981/Case date 022---------------- Sean39

Please Place Serial Number and date code on your for the 800 under this list.

Serial #-----------------------------------Date Code------------------------------Member name

Edited by Sean39

I was thinking just recently how the 1200XL's 30th birthday is this year. And how I was 14 when it came out in 1982, just starting high school and dreaming of owning the latest Colecovision console and latest Apple II computer, but couldn't afford either and eventually got into Atari years later becuase I could afford them by saving up with a part-time job, I saved loads of money and got, IMHO, got "power without the price" with my 130XE for a fraction of the price Apple IIc.

In the meantime I settled for a 2600 instead of a Colecovision, and a Timex/Sinclair 1000 instead of an Apple II+.

Edited by Gunstar

Hi Gunstar I rember those Colecovision systems wanting one real bad also.

I also rember the apple II computers and boy they were high. I saw at SafeWay a grocery store both the atari 400 and 800 dreaming about having one

back in those days. Just that $599.00 and $1100 price was way beond me at 13 years old in 1979. Later on I did get a Sinclair computer also.

I did not get a Atari 130 XE till a couple years ago and I really luck out it was in mint condition. I worked summer jobs and finallysaved up for

a Radio Shack TRS 80 color computer. I had been working by mowing lawns and went into Radioshack with a $110.00 worth of quartes

and dump them on th counter and said I want that computer. It was on sale for $99.00 around 1982 or 83 I think. They had come out with the model II

so the First color computer was being phased out with the old silver case.

Still it worked for me. Later on in Life I did finally manage to get a 400 and a 800 computer. I could not believe I was seeing these computers because I had

not seen one since I was a kid. I finally did buy my first 400 computer at the age of 39 years old. along time to waite on something you wanted as a kid real

bad.

Sean

Edited by Sean39

Hi Gunstar I rember those Colecovision systems wanting one real bad also.

I also rember the apple II computers and boy they were high. I saw at SafeWay a grocery store both the atari 400 and 800 dreaming about having one

back in those days. Just that $599.00 and $1100 price was way beond me at 13 years old in 1979. Later on I did get a Sinclair computer also.

I did not get a Atari 130 XE till a couple years ago and I really luck out it was in mint condition. I worked summer jobs and finallysaved up for

a Radio Shack TRS 80 color computer. I had been working by mowing lawns and went into Radioshack with a $110.00 worth of quartes

and dump them on th counter and said I want that computer. It was on sale for $99.00 around 1982 or 83 I think. They had come out with the model II

so the First color computer was being phased out with the old silver case.

Still it worked for me. Later on in Life I did finally manage to get a 400 and a 800 computer. I could not believe I was seeing these computers because I had

not seen one since I was a kid. I finally did buy my first 400 computer at the age of 39 years old. along time to waite on something you wanted as a kid real

bad.

Sean

I looked into the Coco 3 in '85 when I got the 130XE. I looked into everything, but the 130XE had as much memory as the Coco 3 and Apple IIc and was only $199. Less than even the 64K machines I looked at, except the 800XL reduced to $149. But the extra memory excited me and I had just enough money, so I went with the Atari XE.

Hi Gunstar

I think you made a good choice. The coco III computers were good but Radioshack never seem to come up with very much software for them.

At least you could get a good dos system going with the 130XE and also you had all these cartridges from the other systems that would run

on the 103XE. Yes that 131,0972 bytes on the front of the box really catches one eyes. In those days that was alot of memory.

The ST were the only other atari computers in 1985 that had more memory,but the 520ST was price around $799 and the 1040st was around $1000.00

I still have the magazines from back then and it shows the prices.

Sean

Glad you are doing this, Sean - - it should be interesting!

I will flip my units over and get those numbers to you . . .

A suggestion - - you might want to use just the FIRST post you made in this thread and be the "maintainer" of the list.

I've seen a few of this style of list on the forums here and there, and observed that it's hard to use a resource if the details are scattered throughout the thread . . . just an idea! :)

-a2a

A suggestion - - you might want to use just the FIRST post you made in this thread and be the "maintainer" of the list.

I've seen a few of this style of list on the forums here and there, and observed that it's hard to use a resource if the details are scattered throughout the thread . . . just an idea! :)

-a2a

-a2a

Sound good to me

Sean

Hi I am place in the List down here to help also. Sorry Chips show dates different. It still the 39week and 1981 ,and the case date

shows the 2nd week of 1982. Just to clear things up.

Serial #----------------------------- Date Code ---------------------------Member name

1.) 024184 ---------------------Chip date 8139/Case date 022---------------- Sean39

Serial #-----------------------------------Date Code------------------------------Member name

1.)

Edited by Sean39

Hi I am place in the List down here to help also. Sorry Chips show dates different. It still the 39week and 1981 ,and the case date

shows the 2nd week of 1982. Just to clear things up.

1.) 024184 ---------------------Chip date 8139/Case date 022---------------- Sean39

1.)

I don't think including chip dates is very useful. That is the date the chip was manufactured, it can be weeks/months later that it was used in the build of the computer. In the case you mention there is about 15 weeks between the chip manufacture date and the computer build date-code.

There are also dozens of chips, which would you want dates from?

Hi everyone

I just through the Chip date in on my unit to show that the chips in the actually computer are older than the date Atari put on the case.

The date found on the case is the correct dat. Since you may find a 1979 machine with 1978 chips in it.

in my case I looked at every chip and took the date off the newest chip found inside since most of the chips have different dates, but most of the

dates fall pretty close to each other. I would not look at the GTIA Board because those may be an upgrade,so you will get the wrong dates.

Try getting you dates off of the main mother board since that board stay consistant and is almost never changed out.

Avoid dates off the memory chips and the GTIA,or other plug in boards.

Now if you still have a CTIA board in your computer it probably original board. Anyways I just through that in as a extra. You do not have to do that.

Your date code is going to be on the Serial # label or on the bottom of the computer in the back and you will See Atari in silver print

Atari / 341 which is the 34th week in 1981

on the serial # label you can find the date codes printed in black or even red ink . It is a three digit code.

That all we need on the list unless you really want to tear down your computer and look at the date codes on the chips and find the newest chip on your

main mother board since they do not get upgraded..

Thanks

Sean

Hi Eveyrone

Are we going to not post the Serial #'s of our atari 400's and 800's

Or have these computers come so rare no one has one anymore.

It would be real nice to see the didderent Serial # and their date code

Well please post your if you want to or can

Thanks

Sean

It's been done for the 400 (see this post) but has it been done for the 800?

Oh! That thread has some numbers similar to those of my 800.

G 23 490 0498

49th week of 1980?

If so, I can be pretty sure my friend didn't swap out the whole machine when he replaced my broken keyboard (circa 1982-83).

OTOH, I was 90% sure I bought the 800 in 1980 which wouldn't have left a lot of time to go from factory to doorstep.

Guess I'll never be sure.

My 400, Candy, is at least 31 (# 9 45 3375, with the 48K RAM sandwich). I dug her out yesterday and plugged her in and she booted up fine, except that BREAK was the only key that worked. I unplugged the keyboard and found that about half the flex wires had broken at the lower connector. I guess she had been disassembled one too many times. I managed to solder them and glued on a strain relief, and now all keys work. Yay! She's running Star Raiders right now.

Edited by ClausB

G 23 490 0498

49th week of 1980?

If so, I can be pretty sure my friend didn't swap out the whole machine when he replaced my broken keyboard (circa 1982-83).

OTOH, I was 90% sure I bought the 800 in 1980 which wouldn't have left a lot of time to go from factory to doorstep.

Is 23 490 0498 your serial Number on the tag?

If so then look up towards the back of your computer .Still on the bottom you should see atari pronnted in Silver

Atari / some three number code

Need that code for your date

Thank

Sean

My 400, Candy, is at least 31 (# 9 45 3375, with the 48K RAM sandwich). I dug her out yesterday and plugged her in and she booted up fine, except that BREAK was the only key that worked. I unplugged the keyboard and found that about half the flex wires had broken at the lower connector. I guess she had been disassembled one too many times. I managed to solder them and glued on a strain relief, and now all keys work. Yay! She's running Star Raiders right now.

Is this your Serial # 9 45 3375

Now look toward the back of your computer on the bottom still you will see Atari in Silver with 3 digitis following it..

Atari / 3 digits need this your date code

Thanks

Sean

G 23 490 0498

49th week of 1980?

Is 23 490 0498 your serial Number on the tag?

If so then look up towards the back of your computer .Still on the bottom you should see atari pronnted in Silver

Atari / some three number code

Need that code for your date

Thank

Sean

Yeah, that's my serial number on the only label on the bottom of my 800.

I never noticed the engraved, "silverized" markings on the case before! :dunce: They read, "Atari / 490", same as the middle grouping in my serial number.

-SteveS

Edited by a8isa1

Hi Steve

I just really looked close at you Serial Number. The Atari/ 490 is your date 49week 1980

Your Serial Number has the date code stuck in the middle G 23 490 0498

In all reality your Serial number is 230,498 Which would make since for the year

If you look at mine listed above it is 24,184 and it dated 1981 in the 39th week.

I am not sure why they printed your serial number the way they did. They just placed a date code in the center.

I will place yours on the list.

Thanks

Sean

Edited by Sean39

1.) G 23(490)0498------------------------ 490------------------------------------------- a9isa 1

unit # made 230.498

Edited by Sean39

Hi ClausB

Hey look at the top of your Atari 400 on the bottom toward the back. You should see in Silver Atari/ some number.

I am guessing you will see 945 after th word Atari in silver please let me know if I am correct on this.

You have one of those strange serial #'s you only hear about

945 3375 If I am correct on this the 9 is going to stand for 1979 in the 45th week your actual Serial # 3375

which maens your unit would be the 3375 unit ever made. This would be a very extream old atari 400 computer.

Please let me know if the numbers folllowing the word atari in silver is 945. It may not even have that on the

bottom of the computer towards the back since it such an old unit and one of the first to be made.

Thanks

Sean

Edited by Sean39

We discussed the silver / gold embossing / stamping in the old thread. I also discussed there the possibility that mine is from 1979 but I could not prove it.

Hi Clause

Opn your computer. look on the main board and see if you see chips with dates like 7941 ,or 7943 or if you just see alot of chips with date codes

from 1979 in your computer that would make a huge difference.

If you have chips on your main board dated like this your machine is from 1979. I have found that alot of atari computers on the main boards have chips

like 8225 8235 which means those computers dates from 1982..Anyways you will not find 1979 date codes on the chips. It you look I provided the chip

date codes along with the dat code found on the computer. As you can see there was not much difference.

What is the 3 digits up by the word atari in silver or gold??

If it is 945 you probably have a mchine from 1979.

Thanks

Sean