IGNORED

how many people have ECS here and would like a new game for it?

vprette

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own ECS and want a homebrew for it?

• Yes, absolutely
    • I have but I don't care
    • I have not the ECS

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

• Access to either the alphanumeric keyboard, synthesizer keyboard, or two more Inty 2 style controllers

Aha, I didn't know that was an either/or. (Stands to reason, since I don't have an ECS.)

The ECS has two 8-bit I/O ports. You can plug two Inty 2 style controllers there, or an ECS keyboard (uses both ports), or an ECS synthesizer (also uses both ports). That's why it's an either/or.

The ECS doesn't really help you get more levels, although if you have a cart design that doesn't add more RAM, the additional 2K RAM could help with more complex games. Since my own cart design gives 8K of 16-bit RAM, though, the 2K in the ECS isn't too exciting to me. ;-)

The extra RAM was what I had in mind for extra levels -- well, that and the additional input options -- but I didn't know your cart design had that much onboard RAM!

Well, usually you just need more ROM for extra levels. Extra RAM lets you keep track of more variables, and thus make the overall gameplay more complex. So, I guess you could use it for "extra levels" if the extra levels include gameplay components that require too much RAM to track all the required variables w/out added RAM.

Well, the ECS today lets you plug in two more controllers, and I've published code in the past that shows how to read them. (It's pretty much identical to reading the main unit's controllers, only at $FE/$FF instead of $1FE/$1FF.) Folks, get writing! :D

Yes, I think I've used one of your samples on my Intellivision, to test the ports on my Computer Adaptor.

I swear I'll get to the Intellivision someday; I've just got some Aquarius projects and a few other things I need to get out of the way first. I only wish I had more time for this stuff!

I know the feeling. :-)

If only someone could make a living writing games for classic systems! There is obviously a market for them. But its just done in peoples spare time.

If some worked 8 to 10 hours a day writing a homebrew game from scratch, how long would it take until it was ready to put on a PCB? (just an average time)

Probably 2 - 4 months, depending on the skill level of the programmer and the complexity of the game. For a really complex game, it'd likely take longer. That's assuming you had all the help you needed playtesting and such, and that you really could put 40-50 hours a week in on it, and you had much of the "infrastructure" code (basic runtime support for timers, moving objects, playing sounds, etc.) handy.

I wrote most of 4-Tris over the course of 2-3 months in spare time. Space Patrol took considerably longer, and involved multiple people to split the load between level development and engine development. If we had all been able to work on it full time rather than nights and weekends, I'm *guessing* it would have been under 6 months. Once the pieces started coming together, it did sorta fly together.

Actually, writing an ECS game is one of the things I'd like to do as soon as I finish the current iPhone game I'm working on in my free time... hopefully soon! ;)

do you have any experience in ECS development? if yes, can we share effort?

Just an FYI: You don't need any special skills to develop for the ECS, beyond what it takes to program for the Master Component. I've published public domain code to read both the alphabetic and synthesizer keyboards. The PSG behaves the same as the PSG in the main unit, just at a different address. And if you want to use additional controllers, I've got public domain code out there for that too.

Ok, so that leaves out the cassette and printer ports. I know at least one person who has expressed interest in writing a game that uses the printer, but you'll forgive me for thinking that's even more niche than the synthesizer keyboard.

• 3 weeks later...

Make an actiony arcade game, so I can justify keeping the computer addon.

Something like Asteroids or Defender or something.

the ECS use is justified only by the keyboard and advanced music..... there is no improvements in arcade game related to the use of ECS :-)

Edited by vprette

the ECS use is justified only by the keyboard and advanced music..... there is no improvements in arcade game related to the use of ECS :-)

I don't care about that. I just want a real reason to use the ECS. The 5 games for it all suck.

I'd be game for a text adventure too.

Football manager is a no-go for me.

Also, I clicked the link up there, Gateway to Apshai is a yes.

I'd happily pay for that. It's my favorite Apshai related game.

I don't care about that. I just want a real reason to use the ECS. The 5 games for it all suck.

I'd be game for a text adventure too.

Football manager is a no-go for me.

Also, I clicked the link up there, Gateway to Apshai is a yes.

I'd happily pay for that. It's my favorite Apshai related game.

what I mean... for this game you do not need ECS.... just intv

There isn't really anything that the ECS adds that would lend itself to an "actiony arcade game", though. If I understand Joe Z. correctly, there's an Intellivision cart design with more onboard RAM than the ECS adds, so the ECS is mainly useful for its additional inputs (keyboard or 2 extra controllers) and its additional sound channels.

Delicately put, you'll find that Football Manager will sorta be a nogo for most folks. the primary collection audience seems to be the US, and we find soccer boring enough without not being able to actually PLAY.

Right... what about a Ice Hockey Manager game then? :grin:

Actually, making a simple old school RPG might be possible too...

Delicately put, you'll find that Football Manager will sorta be a nogo for most folks. the primary collection audience seems to be the US, and we find soccer boring enough without not being able to actually PLAY.

Right... what about a Ice Hockey Manager game then? :grin:

Actually, making a simple old school RPG might be possible too...

See now I could get on board Ice Hockey Manager.