IGNORED

Sealed games are not always better.....

Rev

At least the guy described its condition honestly. :lol:

I've seen a disturbing phenomenon the past few years, where more and more classic gaming stores are shrinking ALL of their boxed goods. Not only does shrink-wrap make crummy looking boxes look acceptable, but typically a cartridges end label and manual will oft times be in similarly horrible shape or worse. Getting to the point where I'll no longer consider a shrinked used game because it seems 9 times out of 10, they're hiding something. Not worth the hassle of arguing with some pud behind the counter about it either.

I have a sealed D&D i have contemplated opening. The shrink wrap seems a little loose compared to my other 2 sealed games. The seam on the back seems to be correct. But i still wonder if it was resealed or not. Not sure if i'll unseal it or not. But i am curious to see if it really is new and mint.

I've had a couple Intellivision games that were in shrinkwrap but had major condition faults. On one of them, it looked likely that the shrinkwrap itself was slowly crushing the box; I'm given to understand that this is fairly typical.

Yep, I've got quite a few that this has happened to as well. Somedays I think I should release them from their bonds and let them breathe the fresh air......but then I think that would make Rev too happy so I don't. :-D

I've had a couple Intellivision games that were in shrinkwrap but had major condition faults. On one of them, it looked likely that the shrinkwrap itself was slowly crushing the box; I'm given to understand that this is fairly typical.

Yes and especially with LP records. People think they are protecting their album covers by only opening the slit and leaving the rest of the shrink on. What can happen is that you end up with a warped record as the shrink pulls at the corners. :(

I generally recommend removing the shrinkwrap, for reasons I've described elsewhere, except perhaps in situations where you're looking to resell an item and can get a better price if it's still shrinkwrapped. Fortunately, we have an excellent alternative now with transparent box protectors. I've bought several of these, for my Atari 2600/5200/7800 and Jaguar boxes, and they offer better protection than shrinkwrap while still allowing you to open the boxes from time to time. If you remove the shrinkwrap and store your boxes inside protectors like these, and if you drop a little silica gel packet inside to protect from moisture, your boxes should last a good long time. According to their site, they'll have Intellivision-sized protectors in February (their Atari-sized cases work with ECS and later Intellivision games, but the book-style boxes are too tall).

I did unseal both my ECS games, Scooby Doo & Mr. Bits & Bites. And i can tell you that the glue can still seep through the label on a 30 year old sealed cart. And the contacts were new but still had dust/black of them. The plastic doesn't 100% perserve a game sitting for 30 years. Also with authentic sealed Intellivision games is the easy open seal on the back of the box. I'm sure air could seep in there as well.

I do have an interesting question. Back in the day when they sold cartridges new, how clean were the contacts of a brand new game? I mean today all carts are used and were taught to clean them with rubbing alcohol and or other cleaning products. So the contacts on every cart i own are shiny shiny shiny. Back in the day i would of never checked to see how clean the contacts on a new game were, well because it was new. Since i cleaned off black on a 30 year old new game i wonder if i could of done the same to like a new Nes or N64 game back then.

Just a simple silly question.