IGNORED

Let's Talk Burgertime (Burgertime Appreciation)

Up until a few months ago, the only version of BT I had played was the VCS version (which, mind you, is pretty decent gameplay-wise, even if the graphics lick nut). The game recently came up in the AtariAge Arcade/MAME HSC, so I gave it a bit of effort and managed a 67,350. Unfortunately, I was bested by my own brother who put up 273k and change.

Level three is pretty tough, but once you figure out the pattern to get out of the beginning it's not so bad.

Right. The first several times I made it to level 3, I'd die out pretty much instantly because you get trapped at the bottom of the screen when the level starts, and you're screwed unless you have a pile of peppers to spare. I don't know if it's the best way, but what I do is immediately head right and then up the first ladder towards the top part of the screeen where the level opens up a bit and gives you some maneuvering room to outwit the baddies.

Four is a lot of fun and not as hard.

I don't know, it's pretty tough itself. You really need to know how the enemy AI works so you can predict where the baddies are going to go ahead of time.

You can scoe MAD points on level five if you know what you are doing (and you should by this point in the game)

Yeah, it's pretty easy, too. I think I cleared it on my first try, which suprised me a lot, considering the previous two boards took me a while.

Do you like the Burgertime sequels?

From post 21, where I embedded the Youtube videos of the sequels. No opinions, even from thread titled "Let's talk Burgertime?"

Ok, let's not talk Burgertime, then. :)

Oops forgot to reply. For some reason i thought i did. The Ice Cream Factory looks fun. Looks a bit hard too. Super Burgertime doesn't look all that good. I'd say the only sequel i like is the unofficial sequel on the Intellivision, Diner. :)

But if a port of Ice Cream Factory ever came out on a console i'd like to play it.

Burgertime to this day remains my ALL-TIME FAVORITE video game. I have the emulated ports on PS1 and Wii plus the Beef Drop game for the Atari 7800.

I always found the NES version so incredibly hard for some reason - even harder than the arcade game.

My strategy is to follow a top-to-bottom plan. I try to get the falling pieces of burger to do the work for me by knocking loose the ones below. It's also a key weapon against those food foes.

Interesting bit of trivia: one of the enemies in the game is a fried egg. My sources tell me that the origin of this foe is from Japan. Burgertime was supposed to have been designed in the Land of the Rising Sun and there, many places offer a fried egg on top of your burger. I wonder how that tastes.

• Like 2

I remember my friends telling me about this game when it came out in arcades. I thought they were high. A chef being chased by hot dogs, pickles and eggs while trying to build hamburgers? WTF!

Nevertheless, it turned out to be one of the all-time classics and one of the best Data East had to offer.

The game is still deceptively difficult at times, even when you can almost always figure out which pattern of movement the enemies are going to make. You have to plan ahead and not get trapped, especially on levels where there are dead-ends.

I liked how you could get killed just after dropping the last bun, and you are suddenly resurrected and move on to the next level!

The Intellivision version is their best game, IMO. Very close to the original. I liked how there's a cut scene of the enemies approaching you just before each level begins, and then after you lose your last man, they finish the deal. Truly, game over!

Hmm.. I'm always trying to think of future Halloween costume ideas.. Peter Pepper might have to be in the works!

• Like 1

Yes, I love the INTV BT version, and yes your right about the Egg, as let's face it, Video Games come from Japan... (okay, that rant is over)

How about the newest to have the BT name "BurgerTime World Tour" now out for both the 360 and the Wii (in Arcade and WiiWare) respectively.

We also had a drive thru only restaurant here in the upper midwest that was called simply BurgerTime! I loved it till the day it closed a few years ago (they had the greatest chicken nuggets (and cheap as chips too)!

I happen to be a Burgertime Pro. Used to play it constantly in the arcades in the '80's and I have it on my 60 in 1 multicade today. As Cynicaster said, the controls on the 60 in 1 are smooth as can be. The only other version I have is on my Coleco Vision and the controls seem comparable. I also play it on MAME from time to time when I can't get to the multicade and the controls are a bit harder to use, but I am currently using a modified USB NES Control Pad for most of my MAMEing. So this would back up Cynicaster's statement about D pads.

Revolutinika: Wow! Good Burger???!!! For Real??? Haven't thought of that movie since I was 20 years old. What a piece of shit! I still want my money back!

LOL, I remember seeing it in the theatre too, Although i cant remember who's idea it was to go see it. I remember falling asleep 3/4 the way through it was so stupid.

I want my money back too!

Burgertime World Tour? I gotta check that out.

I'm aware of the sequels somewhat, mainly Peter Pepper's Ice Cream Factory. I heard there was a sequel of sorts for the Intellivision called Diner. There was a sequel planned called PizzaTime but it was never done.

Hmm...I wonder how a SushiTime game would go. Maybe you'd be chased around by wasabi and packets of soy sauce?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry for my lateness here...Burgertime is a cool game for sure. Not my fave, but I definitely spent a lot of time playing it...I remember the arcade game was at the local Kroger for a while. For either Christmas or my birthday one year I got the hand-held LCD game that was out back in the day, and it was amazingly cool for what it was.

The versions I've played so far:

Arcade -- a classic to be sure....but I just can't clear all the levels. :(

Atari 2600/VCS -- probably the most yawn-inducing arcade-to-Atari game I've ever seen. Seriously, it takes like half an hour to move an inch!

Intellivision -- personally I think is a great home version, although the levels are kind of odd.

Atari 7800 - Beef Drop - excellent remake! Love it!!

My favorite version, though, is Burgerspace on Linux. What I love about that game is that it's so easy to actually drop one of the enemies on EITHER side of the ingredient -- you can actually walk across the ingredient and easily drop the enemy that's approaching you there. Haven't been able to figure out that trick on any other version.

BTW, my strategy: work from the bottom up. It's VERY tedious -- I get the bottom layer, then go to the next layer, etc. This way my points are noticeably maximized -- if you start at the top and go down, that limits your ability to maximize dropping your enemies.

Edited by Dauber
  • Like 1

My favorite version, though, is Burgerspace on Linux. What I love about that game is that it's so easy to actually drop one of the enemies on EITHER side of the ingredient -- you can actually walk across the ingredient and easily drop the enemy that's approaching you there. Haven't been able to figure out that trick on any other version.

I just looked up Burgerspace and it looks real nice. I like how you can drop the enemies on either side like you said. That could help to get yourself out of trouble. Too bad i don't have Linux.

Atari 2600/VCS -- probably the most yawn-inducing arcade-to-Atari game I've ever seen. Seriously, it takes like half an hour to move an inch!

Really? I always thought the VCS port was pretty decent. The graphics stink but the gameplay is there. And this is coming from somebody who usually doesn't care much for VCS arcade ports (I prefer the VCS original titles, personally).

• 4 months later...

Yup, Burgertime Rules. I love that the best way to make burgers in this guy's world is to WALK OVER THEM with your dirty feet, while being chased by pickles, eggs, and other things. Also, the music is classic.

I too play the Data East Classics comp on the Wii a lot. It's a perfectly good version of the game. The game's somewhat picky controls can be a bit tough to handle on the "squishy" Wii Remotes, but it's not too bad.

• Like 1