IGNORED

Rev B Basic Cartridge

kheffington

Anyone have any idea on this cart. I don't think they ever made revision b carts and it is in a Star Raiders Cart with handwritten stick on. Has an empty socket as well. It does work though. Is it a cart someone burnt for themselves. Have had it for several years and don't remember where I got it from.

post-919-0-14376100-1328663838_thumb.jpg

post-919-0-87621400-1328663855_thumb.jpg

I don't think Rev B carts were ever officially made.

In fact I'd say they found out pretty early on that Rev B was a huge mistake but in all likelihood probably had 1/2 a million ROMs in stock by the time.

Of course, Basic was built in by then and probably 99% of 400/800/1200XL owners already had Basic on cart so there wouldn't have been much market for it.

I was wonderimg about the Rev B carts if there had been any made.

I have 2 rev C carts even though I have seen it said they never made them either.. I figure that statement may have

been wrong.

Not sure.

Sean

Do you have pics of those carts? Are they the old solid type or the cheapo XE type?

Production Revision C BASIC cartridges are in the older brown shells with the silver XL style label.

In the following image the original Revision A is on the left and Revision C is on the right.

post-26063-0-81777100-1328679362_thumb.jpg

I have some vague memories of Rev B being offered in cart format early on after XL's were released to Rev. A owners to upgrade too. This would probably have been before it was realized that Rev B had worse bugs. It may have been directly from Atari themselves and never released to stores or dealers. When was Rev B released? Could it have been that a few Rev. B cartridges were made for the 1200XL? Did any 600/800XL's ever get Rev C built in, or was that strictly the XE line? Was Rev C released on cartridge before the XE's came out?

What is the copyright date on those A and C cartridges pictured?

But in any case, I don't think that one above is anything official. My guess is either a pulled chip, or, a replacement chip bought from Atari/dealer that was put into a cartridge.

B&C only lists ver. A & C on cartridge. Same thin in the Best catalog, BUT, Best sells the Basic Rev B chip for $5.

Edited by Gunstar

Do you have pics of those carts? Are they the old solid type or the cheapo XE type?

They are of the old type

The one on the left is from 1985 and the other say 1982. I really do not think they had REV C in 1982

Still it may just be a copyright date ,By the way the 800XL did have REV C but only in the 800XLF sold over seas.

If you have an 800 XLF then you have REV C,but some 800XL have the Rev B,so check yours out.

post-17711-0-58400600-1328770687_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sean39