IGNORED

Wanted: Atari 800XL w/ Power Supply

krypton85

Just a note..... Make sure that when you're negotiating for one, you KNOW that most 800XLs shipped with dogmess power supplies!!! You are almost sure to be hit by people looking to unload systems with these, and you'd be wise to let them know AHEAD OF TIME that you are aware of the issue. There have been tons of threads on this topic, so don't just take my word for it; research can be your guide.

It's kind of confusing, because Atari released the same part number on A FEW power supplies.

(click pics to enlarge)

post-16281-0-73377700-1329180598_thumb.jpg

These are both part number CO61982. The one on the left is the dogshit. This is what they're most likely to stick you with. The truth of the matter is, this should be THROWN AWAY, and the value of an 800XL that ships with one of these (assuming it hasn't been damaged by that power supply) is the same as the value of a [WORKING] 800XL without a power supply, for which you then need to buy one. It's not even worth paying the shipping on that heavy hunk of epoxy, that will take out your machine SOONER OR LATER.

The silver-labeled one on the right is what you want. It's similar size. It mostly shipped with the Atari 130XE computer, but some (few?) late 800XL shipped with it. It's a good one, and not know for failure. They're about the same size, and they're rated exactly the same, but the silver labeled one doesn't suck.

The black one is nicknamed "the ingot" because of it's shape (from a profile view)

post-16281-0-51128900-1329180614_thumb.jpg

and an actual zinc ingot....

post-16281-0-61463300-1329180624_thumb.jpg

I love the 800XL very much, but when looking for one, don't let anyone bullshit you about the power supplies. You can get a brand new one (the good one) for $20 plus shipping (and these aren't light) from B&C Computervisions, so be prepared to deduct that cost from the price of anyone who quotes you with an 800XL for sale, yet wants to include "the ingot" and pretend like they don't know about this issue. THEY DO. They're just like me, and I have a small pile of "ingots" that I never use. I suppose I find it hard to throw anything "Atari" away. I think the ones I have still work, but I *HAVE* had these go bad, and lots of people (who are hardcore enough to be on Atariage and fool with 8-bit Atari computers in 2012) have, also.

I just hate to see someone get hosed with this KNOWN issue that causes people amnesia, when they're selling 800XLs.

:)

Edited by wood_jl
  • Like 1

Thanks for the heads up on the power supply! I'm working on my trade list right now.. Unfortunately it requires me to go through all my stuff and see what doubles I have. I collect atari made label variations, so it appears I have many doubles even thought I don't. This may take a while

Hey wood, what about the larger white power supplies? Are those any good or OK?

The other thread....

But.....the large white power supplies not only kick ass, but are the most sought after, because (1) they don't suck and (2) they're cool and look like the computer.

There's a large black (looks just like the large white but not as XL-color-themed) and it rocks, too.

Then the silver-label one I mentioned is great.

The HUGE old ones - either white (like the 800XL itself) or black........and these *BOTH* have the beveled edge with the vent slots like the XL computers themselves.......are both excellent!

The only "bad" one is the "ingot"

• 3 weeks later...