IGNORED

1985 Atari Computer Robot (Andy by Axlon)

FND

Check out the cool Robot I picked up. It was made for use on the Atari 800, 800XL or 600XL with 48K Expansion (also Commodore 64)

It was made by Axlon in 1985 by Nolan Bushnell's second Robot Company AXLON. Controlled through the second Joystick port, Uses

Joystick or included software package

Here is a link to page I put up with many pictures and information links. All pictures can be enlarged with double click (will open new

window with enlarged picture that can then be closed to return to information web page)

Link to my Andy Robot page below

http://fndcollectables.com/CHANNEL_F_INFO/INTERNATIONAL/Adman_Grandstand/Notes/AndyRobot/andyrobot.html

ar_rs.jpg

• Like 2

Nice find! There's a thread I just started about it a couple days ago: http://www.atariage....le-personality/

WOW What are the odds, I picked this up off craigs list on the 8th and did a search here for info about a

day or two before your post

BTW I did find two listings on ebay the one you mentioned that sold for 205.00 but had loose parts and no software

another that did not meet the reserve with a BIN of 1150.00 again no software and another that sold in a news group for

350.00 and again no software

This one was purchased from the original owner with all the originaly included items as well as the Sales receipt from

"Smartoys" here in Sunnyvale. He can be controlled with a joystick in port 1 and pushing the fire button will make him

Whistle, the included software needs to be running however. The other methods of control are through BASIC or using

the Personality Editor from the Included software

Edited by FND

Nice find! There's a thread I just started about it a couple days ago: http://www.atariage....le-personality/

WOW What are the odds,

These things always happen in three's (so "they" say), so lets see what pops up about Andy next... :-o

Now that I know Axlon was a Nolan Bushnell company, Andy seems more interesting, born to go with the 800!

Is this the same Axlon that made 800 memory upgrade cards too? If it is, that is also interesting, I didn't realize those where also Bushnell products!

I remember wanting Andy as a kid, for a short time, but my parents said they'd never spend that much on a toy. Now I look at the original $119 price and think that's not a bad price, then I remember that 100 1985 dollars is worth about 500 in todays dollars.

Edited by Gunstar

Check out the cool Robot I picked up. It was made for use on the Atari 800, 800XL or 600XL with 48K Expansion (also Commodore 64)

It was made by Axlon in 1985 by Nolan Bushnell's second Robot Company AXLON. Controlled through the second Joystick port, Uses

Joystick or included software package

Here is a link to page I put up with many pictures and information links. All pictures can be enlarged with double click (will open new

window with enlarged picture that can then be closed to return to information web page)

Link to my Andy Robot page below

http://fndcollectabl.../andyrobot.html

the pictures are awesome! thank you. This is the best I have ever found on Andy, and I have been looking at Androbot / Axlon info for years. Can you create an ATR image of the disk? I think it is important to have the software archived. There aren't many copies left.

having the schematic is awesome too! Do you have a higher resolution image of it? I could design a replacement robot that would work with the same software! sort of an Axlon Andy reboot. lol

Edited by puppetmark

Now that I know Axlon was a Nolan Bushnell company, Andy seems more interesting, born to go with the 800!

Is this the same Axlon that made 800 memory upgrade cards too? If it is, that is also interesting, I didn't realize those where also Bushnell products!

read somewhere they produce a Axlon Ramdisks (cardridge form) but cant find it now ?

[the pictures are awesome! thank you. This is the best I have ever found on Andy, and I have been looking at Androbot / Axlon info for years. Can you create an ATR image of the disk? I think it is important to have the software archived. There aren't many copies left.

having the schematic is awesome too! Do you have a higher resolution image of it? I could design a replacement robot that would work with the same software! sort of an Axlon Andy reboot. lol

Thanks, while trying to find information about the Andy I did not find many pictures either and nothing to do with what was originally included or how the software and Andy interfaced with the 800XL

BTW here are some pictures I found on the internet that show how the FRED and ANDY compair, ANDY was made from left over FRED's after Androbot folded as mentioned by Andrew Filo in the article that can be read using the link on my ANDY web page, also I included a picture of the inside showing how the PIN compartment had been cutaway to allow the battery compartment to be installed in FRED

fred_andy.jpg

complete_fred.jpg

Edited by FND

Thanks, while trying to find information about the Andy I did not find many pictures either and nothing to do with what was originally included or how the software and Andy interfaced with the 800XL

BTW here are some pictures I found on the internet that show how the FRED and ANDY compair, ANDY was made from left over FRED's after Androbot folded as mentioned by Andrew Filo in the article that can be read using the link on my ANDY web page, also I included a picture of the inside showing how the PIN compartment had been cutaway to allow the battery compartment to be installed in FRED

That's great to see them side by side. I didn't realize the eyes were different and Andy sits higher on his wheels too. I remember seeing a picture of the underside of FRED. It had one motorized wheel mounted on a disk that would turn close to 360 degrees to change his direction. That way he could move instantly from front-back and left-right at any position. I think that's why the pen is in the front and not centered with respect to the drive wheels.

I think it's really cool how they re-used the Parts from FRED to build ANDY. Many of the Androbot robots were scrapped or lost, at least some of theses made it into the real world! Thank you again for sharing this info.

holy crow, i remember Andy! i think i badgered my dad for one one christmas back in the day.

you mentioned that you had the original reciept.. could you tell us the original price?

As i recall, my dad had inquired about it and when we saw how much it was, he said "no way"

holy crow, i remember Andy! i think i badgered my dad for one one christmas back in the day.

you mentioned that you had the original reciept.. could you tell us the original price?

As i recall, my dad had inquired about it and when we saw how much it was, he said "no way"

No reciept needed, just go to the link in the second post above, there's a scan there with an ad that shows the original retail price: $119.00 (the value of about $500 in today's dollar)

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

That's great to see them side by side. I didn't realize the eyes were different and Andy sits higher on his wheels too. I remember seeing a picture of the underside of FRED. It had one motorized wheel mounted on a disk that would turn close to 360 degrees to change his direction. That way he could move instantly from front-back and left-right at any position. I think that's why the pen is in the front and not centered with respect to the drive wheels.

I think it's really cool how they re-used the Parts from FRED to build ANDY. Many of the Androbot robots were scrapped or lost, at least some of theses made it into the real world! Thank you again for sharing this info.

Yes Andy is taller because of the wheel style FRED had the original ANDROBOT wheel system mounted in the front and the pin sat in the middle of the wheels, the wheels have a lower profile.

I had found a picture somewhere but cant find it now ANYWAY here is a scan from page six of a ANDROBOT brochure that shows how the wheels were designed

pagesix_issueone.jpg

Here is another ad showing the full size TOPO and wheels

rocking-chair.jpg

BTW here is a new EBAY sale for just the empty head 200.00 Says its a prototype probably is one of the trys Andrew Filo was

working with for the ANDY, as you can see they were adding the eyes. Either that or it was drilled wrong (CNC set-up mistake)

and they cut it open to salvaqge the usable parts

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1205468861861?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=120546886186&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Found a picture of the bottom of the FRED

Yea, that's it!! nice. I didn't know he used that many batteries! That's a lot of weight for a single motor. That's very different and much more expensive to manufacture than ANDY.

I am really having fun with this thread!

Edited by puppetmark

Someone who owns ANDY should get a the 2600 Remote control joystick system and rig it up to work with ANDY to make him wireless. That's what I'd do if I owned ANDY. And then see if I can hook of the Armatron from the other ANDY thread. Two remote controls and two types of robots that work out of the joystick port hooked together...a robot that can move freely and has an arm remotely controlled by the Atari! :love:

Edited by Gunstar

i think i saw this on the san francisco craigslist ad.

would be cool if someone could fabricate this thing again or something close to it. I believe i saw an article at one time about a robot arm that you could make for the atari.

I would like too, or at least look into it. The case is the real issue, very expensive to fabricate molded plastic. Maybe we can get something close using stock enclosures or maybe bending plastic. After the ethernet carts are done, I will do some research.

Someone who owns ANDY should get a the 2600 Remote control joystick system and rig it up to work with ANDY to make him wireless. That's what I'd do if I owned ANDY. And then see if I can hook of the Armatron from the other ANDY thread. Two remote controls and two types of robots that work out of the joystick port hooked together...a robot that can move freely and has an arm remotely controlled by the Atari! :love:

I like the wireless idea, but if you hack a wireless 2600 joystick into ANDY, you will loose his sensor input, the microphone and photocell. The joysticks are only "one way:" the arm is a good idea too.

Hey FND, can you tell me what the part number the inverter is in the schematic? (it's the triangles in the top left section) maybe a 4069? And how about the markings on the inputs to Pins 3,7,4 on the 4028. They look kinda like little houses and they might be marked J something?

[Hey FND, can you tell me what the part number the inverter is in the schematic? (it's the triangles in the top left section) maybe a 4069? And how about the markings on the inputs to Pins 3,7,4 on the 4028. They look kinda like little houses and they might be marked J something?

I will need a week or so to get him back, After I tested and took all the pictures I boxed him all up (really well by the way, much bubble wrap & tape) My temperature controlled storage is not were I live so I need to make a specail trip to pick him back up and get some scans, should not be to long of a wait as I have a few other items I just picked up that need to be put away. Sadly just dont have enough room anymore for my collections

Edited by FND

I will need a week or so to get him back, After I tested and took all the pictures I boxed him all up (really well by the way, much bubble wrap & tape) My temperature controlled storage is not were I live so I need to make a specail trip to pick him back up and get some scans, should not be to long of a wait as I have a few other items I just picked up that need to be put away. Sadly just dont have enough room anymore for my collections

No worries, I just appreciate you taking the time to do it. -And I understand what it is like not having enough room for collecting!

Andy looks pretty cool, I always wanted a robot I could plug into my Atari as a kid. That's awesome. I had one of these:

http://www.theoldrobots.com/omnijr2.html

which was pretty cool but not as fun as making one do something in BASIC. Was entertaining to chase the dog with though.

Anyone else remember that ANTIC article on building joystick port controlled robots with erector sets, servos, etc? I remember reading it a really long time ago.

--Kevin

Anyone else remember that ANTIC article on building joystick port controlled robots with erector sets, servos, etc? I remember reading it a really long time ago.

--Kevin

I sure do! there were three articles, The first couple showed how to hook up a servo to the joystick port. There were program examples for BASIC and FORTH

You can still find them here:

http://www.atarimagazines.com/v2n9/Anatomyofrobot.html

http://www.atarimagazines.com/v2n10/RobotHuggedYouToday.html

http://www.atarimagazines.com/v3n2/languages.html