IGNORED

A8 Productivity/Educational Software Archive?

Ransom

I can't find anywhere that has programs like Bookkeeper, Home Filing Manager, and such archived. Same for the educational tapes such as the Conversational series, etc.

Is there such an archive out there?

I see the Eucational System tapes under that topic. Thanks!

But I was really looking for Bookkeeping, States & Capitals, Speed Reading, and those things. I own the tapes, but it would be nice if someone out there had already turned them into files and archived them. Hrm. Maybe no one has.

While Atarimania is a fantastic database of game software, it seems no one has uploaded much of the Atari-branded productivity and educational stuff. Bookkeeper is there as an entry, but there's no disk image. Speed Reading, the Conversational language study series, and Invitation to Programming series don't even have entries. :(

Atari.online.pl used to have tons of stuff, but it's been offline for a while now.

While Atarimania is a fantastic database of game software, it seems no one has uploaded much of the Atari-branded productivity and educational stuff. Bookkeeper is there as an entry, but there's no disk image.

I agree the section for utilities is pretty poor. Stuff is added from time to time but the priority is more on games.

Speed Reading, the Conversational language study series, and Invitation to Programming series don't even have entries :(

We have tons of unique educational games in the database but the problem with the Atari-branded titles is that a number of them came on tape and nobody has dumped them properly. The software with voice / sound that has been imaged - see the Dorsett thread - will be added when time permits. I don't believe the other ones exist in cracked form as disk images anyway.

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

While Atarimania is a fantastic database of game software, it seems no one has uploaded much of the Atari-branded productivity and educational stuff. Bookkeeper is there as an entry, but there's no disk image. Speed Reading, the Conversational language study series, and Invitation to Programming series don't even have entries. :(

Atari.online.pl used to have tons of stuff, but it's been offline for a while now.

Well,

the new link is: www.atarionline.pl

I visit that page almost every day... -Andreas Koch.

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Well,

I try that link and get: Blisko dwa lata temu nasza strona zmieniła adres na

atarionline.pl

Proszę, używaj tego adresu.

Never mind, wrong URL but still:

Why can't we combine all this matieral into one site?

Edited by chrislynn5

Well,

I try that link and get: Blisko dwa lata temu nasza strona zmieniła adres na

atarionline.pl

Proszę, używaj tego adresu.

Never mind, wrong URL but still:

Why can't we combine all this matieral into one site?

Well,

if I type www.atarionline.pl into my Firefox-browser that is running under WIN XP, it automatically goes there:

http://www.atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?subaction=showfull&id=1329094526&archive=&start_from=0&ucat=1&ct=nowinki&ref=nf

and this works. Been there one second ago ! Posted / uploaded something at their forum a few weeks ago (english version of "Computer Inhabitants" which is a simple clone of Little Computer People)...

-Andreas Koch.

Well,

Thank you, Thank you!! I've always been able to find interesting programs on that site, and I've been missing it since the domain name change. I'm so happy to have it back now!

I would be VERY willing to bet it's all an issue of bandwidth. Look at what WAS posted - eight .wav files for one complete Atari Education pack. The language packs are 10 each (so 40 total for German, French, Spanish and Italian).

They should be sold through the iTunes store. :P

Would this be the appropriate thread for posting a list of undumped educational titles? Maybe something by genre?

I have a mostly clear picture of the stuff that hasn't been archived but am unsure of the number of people who could / would be willing to contribute.

Whether the software is original or cracked is unimportant, I just want the database to expand and make sure some nuggets on old pirated disks gathering dust are not lost forever.

--

Atari Frog

Would this be the appropriate thread for posting a list of undumped educational titles? Maybe something by genre?

I have a mostly clear picture of the stuff that hasn't been archived but am unsure of the number of people who could / would be willing to contribute.

Whether the software is original or cracked is unimportant, I just want the database to expand and make sure some nuggets on old pirated disks gathering dust are not lost forever.

Posting here is fine or we can start a separate thread. Like you my main concern is that these things don't pass into oblivion. Cassette tapes fail pretty regularly, as do cassette drives. I'd feel much better if there were an archive of them online, complete with both tracks (data and audio).

Same goes for the productivity software. I don't see much of that archived anywhere, as I mentioned previously.

I need to work on a more solid and efficient approach but here's a small list of the main titles still missing in the "typing" category to get things started.

l left out some "obvious" programs like MasterType and others that are around and just need to have the pages updated with a proper dump.

Hoppy on the Keys / Monticello Data Systems

MasterType's Filer / Scarborough Systems

MicroTyping II / Hayden Software

SuperType / Precision Software

Tap' Texte / Ordinateur Express

Typeout / Dynacomp

Typing Exercise / Eastern House Software

Typing I / Dynacomp

Typing Teacher / Compute!

Typing Teacher / Compu-Tations, Inc.

If you have any of these programs, please image them and add them here.

--

Atari Frog

I am under the impression that somewhere, I have States and Capitals on disk, but I could be wrong. I'll have to have a look.

Converting the "Conversational....." and "Invitation to Programming......" would be a Herculean task. There'd have to be some elaborate cassette emulator, or perhaps SIO2PC could do it and sync the "pause control for the virtual tape" (sorry I don't know technical lingo) correctly with the program. This would be excellent if someone did this!

I have all the "Conversational....." languages. The ones I tried still worked! I got 'em "new" from B&C a year or 2 ago.

Have you checked out Holmes Disks stored on pigwa.net?

http://ftp.pigwa.net...0A-Z/index.html

I didn't know about that one. It's not complete by any means, but there is some stuff there that I haven't seen around the 'net. Thanks!

Well,

its not very complete (Nir Dary and Holmes stuff), since my original CD`s and DVD`s are defective. And guess where they got the data from ? I did send it to them some years ago. While most of the Holmes stuff could be read on DVD, more than 50% of the Nir Dary stuff on CD could not be read anymore (thanks to the selfmade CD labels which Nir glued on the two CD`s; these CD`s are not fully flat anymore, have "oxygen bubbles" under the labels, etc.). I tried reading the CD`s and DVD`s with a freeware PC program named "Unstoppable Copier" and 1000 re-reads, but still a lot of data could not be read anymore on a Philips and LG DVD drive...

So nowadays I know, CD`s and DVD`s do not last forever, especially selfmade CD`s and DVD`s - they last as long as their selfmade label (approx. 3-5 years). Thats why I never use any selfmade labels on my CD`s and DVD`s...

-Andreas Koch.