IGNORED

Anyone build a SEGA Genesis to 7800 controller adaptor?

salzmafia.com

After researching these helpful forums and a few other sites I've decided to build a set of SEGA Genesis to 7800 controller adaptors for the 2nd button functionality and to prevent the mutilation of a perfectly good SEGA Genesis controller. While I have found plenty of information by way of schematics what I have not found is an actual picture of one built. I don't believe I can make it any shorter than 4 inches long which makes me wonder if it would cause too much stress when plugged in the controller port, or if it would be better to add a few inches of wire slack so the components themselves and the Genesis plug rest on a table. Any thoughts on this would be most helpful. Thanks!

Yes. I used a project box with a 9-pin male adapter and ran a genesis cable (I have many so I sacrificed one for the cable) out the other end to connect it up to the 7800. Also serves as a controller extension cable. I did find the six-button pads I have wouldn't work with it, but it wasn't official sega so ymmv on that.

Although not in the completed picture, I did put the power led light on it eventually.

post-7533-0-28659500-1329401691_thumb.jpg

post-7533-0-81109300-1329401707_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
I used a project box with a 9-pin male adapter and ran a genesis cable (I have many so I sacrificed one for the cable) out the other end to connect it up to the 7800. Also serves as a controller extension cable.

I could have sworn I uploaded a pic of mine back in Feb, but apparently not. I used the same box from Radio Shack that you used. I happened to see the pictures I took of it on my camera just last week, but needed space so I deleted them.

Anyway, where can I find the old FAQ with the PNP and resistor info? I can't seem to find it anymore. It looks like you made yours from the same old FAQ I had. I made the adapters back in '98 and at the time, I couldn't find the correct resistors at Radio Shack. That was before the time of ordering from mouser on the net, so I just used specs as close as I could find. However, since I didn't get the right resistors, my controller only works for a little while and then craps out. I've been wanting to fix it the right way, but can't find the specs anymore.

• 4 months later...
I used a project box with a 9-pin male adapter and ran a genesis cable (I have many so I sacrificed one for the cable) out the other end to connect it up to the 7800. Also serves as a controller extension cable.

I could have sworn I uploaded a pic of mine back in Feb, but apparently not. I used the same box from Radio Shack that you used. I happened to see the pictures I took of it on my camera just last week, but needed space so I deleted them.

Anyway, where can I find the old FAQ with the PNP and resistor info? I can't seem to find it anymore. It looks like you made yours from the same old FAQ I had. I made the adapters back in '98 and at the time, I couldn't find the correct resistors at Radio Shack. That was before the time of ordering from mouser on the net, so I just used specs as close as I could find. However, since I didn't get the right resistors, my controller only works for a little while and then craps out. I've been wanting to fix it the right way, but can't find the specs anymore.

For whatever reason the 7800 adapter using transistors is in the 2600 FAQ.

http://www.atariage.com/2600/faq/index.html?SystemID=2600#sega