IGNORED

Steve Jobs was full of it then as he is now..

Keatah

Ha! The dude said "It's also the ultimate hobbyist computer," says Apple vice-president Steve Jobs, lightheartedly. 'The Apple III was conceived primarily to fill in gaps in the Apple II. It will not replace the Apple II by any means. It's designed to enhance it."

Wasn't the III supposed to kill off the II ?? Somehow ?? And the III is not anywhere near being a hobbyist computer, never was, never will be!

Apple III... would love to look into that one a bit more. Basically went as far as the Apple Lisa did. Had one once, just didn't know what to do with it. Found out later that was the home computer of Kevin Flynn in the first TRON movie.

• 3 weeks later...

I never heard of the Apple III as an Apple II replacement. Always was waaaaay out of the average consumer price range. Every company wants to go Business 2 Business. Dell thinks it can veer away from its end user base right now. Steve wanted that B2B pie that never really happens. He never learned either: the NeXT certainly wasn't saved by all those Fortune 500 customers.

Edited by theloon

Apple III... would love to look into that one a bit more. Basically went as far as the Apple Lisa did. Had one once, just didn't know what to do with it. Found out later that was the home computer of Kevin Flynn in the first TRON movie.

OMG!!!!!!!! Must get now. Don't care what it takes.

from tron fanboy

• 2 weeks later...

According to Steve Wozniak in his book (iWoz) he bemoans the Apple III at length (he mentioned that Apple Marketing and Executive Leadership designed the computer 'by committee' and that every Apple employee was forced to have one on their desktop even though they would joke about how bad they were).

He mentions how local computer dealers couldn't get the Apple III's to work properly and as a result stopped selling them.

Most interestingly (to me) he mentions that the engineers were forced to cripple the Apple III (when it was used in Apple II mode there was actually a chip that prevented the Apple II from accessing the additional memory and 80 column width). So - if someone purchased an Apple III thinking that their old software could take advantage of the extra memory and screen real estate they were sadly disappointed.

Just a little anecdote.. when I was around 6th grade or so for the local 4-H club youth organization I was allowed to "work" (for no pay) at a local computer store. I remember going in there and the lady demonstrating their new Apple III in the back room and telling me the specs. I would say things like "wow!" even though I had no idea what she was saying :lol: (I remember her saying something along the lines of "3 megabits" or something like that.)

Anyway the rest of that summer was interesting.. because the main computer guy there who would be sitting there doing work on it.. I'd hear him shout SON OF A BITCH and start punching and throwing things! And then later I'd learn that the thing had lost all his data, and his accounting, and a number of other malfunctions on the Lisa. He once even threw a coffee cup at it. Shit was hilarious.

But yeah the Apple III. I was just a kid and had zero clue about it's shortcomings. I only thought that it was so much better than an Apple II, then experienced the cursing of the workers but not really thinking about it. Only later in life did I hear that of it's shortcomings and put 2 and 2 together. :)

• Like 1

Just a little anecdote.. when I was around 6th grade or so for the local 4-H club youth organization I was allowed to "work" (for no pay) at a local computer store. I remember going in there and the lady demonstrating their new Apple III in the back room and telling me the specs. I would say things like "wow!" even though I had no idea what she was saying :lol: (I remember her saying something along the lines of "3 megabits" or something like that.)

Anyway the rest of that summer was interesting.. because the main computer guy there who would be sitting there doing work on it.. I'd hear him shout SON OF A BITCH and start punching and throwing things! And then later I'd learn that the thing had lost all his data, and his accounting, and a number of other malfunctions on the Lisa. He once even threw a coffee cup at it. Shit was hilarious.

But yeah the Apple III. I was just a kid and had zero clue about it's shortcomings. I only thought that it was so much better than an Apple II, then experienced the cursing of the workers but not really thinking about it. Only later in life did I hear that of it's shortcomings and put 2 and 2 together. :)

Awesome stuff. :-D :thumbsup: