IGNORED

I need Apple II games.

Arkhan

One other fun Apple ][ quirk that may make you think "This thing's broken!" is that turning it off, and then turning it back on too quickly will result in a crashed machine that has random graphics showing on the screen (the randomized contents of RAM). If that happens, just turn it back off and wait for several seconds before trying again.

Yeah. I am starting to at least have hope since some of these things are actual quirks or strange behaviors.

The reset button is probably the dumbest thing I've seen in awhile though, lol. At least you can't accidentally reset it. Maybe that's why they did it?

This keyboard is also starting to become my favorite. It's pretty responsive.

Has anyone here opened one of these bastards ever? I don't want to open it and find myself struggling and fighting to get it back together. Newer apple products are big on that. ...

at least it doesn't need some miniature screws like a macbook...!

I've opened up my original IIc and put it back together with out any trouble. Don't know about the IIc+, haven't had a reason to open it up yet. If you seriously want the stand for the IIc monitor I've got one and don't plan on using it any time soon. There was a version of the Mockingboard designed for the IIc but good luck finding it, they are just about as rare as unobtanium. It's too bad someone hasn't tried to clone that like they have the Mockingboard itself.

Dean

I've opened up my original IIc and put it back together with out any trouble. Don't know about the IIc+, haven't had a reason to open it up yet. If you seriously want the stand for the IIc monitor I've got one and don't plan on using it any time soon. There was a version of the Mockingboard designed for the IIc but good luck finding it, they are just about as rare as unobtanium. It's too bad someone hasn't tried to clone that like they have the Mockingboard itself.

Dean

Damn. Yeah, I found some home made mockingboards for sale while trying to find the IIc one.

maybe by some strange fluke, I have one already in here and don't know it! :) Any way to tell without opening it? like typing "MOCKINGBOARD?" at the prompt??

Will that stand hold the color composite monitor? It's bigger than the goofy 9" one. If it will, I suppose I would like to have it.

The computer does make a loud-ass beep when I turn it on. I assume that's just the crapass internal speaker though.

No there isn't a Mockingboard in the Apple IIc+. The Mockingboard add-on for the IIc/IIC+ was called the Mockingboard D and it was an external box that plugged into teh back of the computer. Here's a link to a page with a short article about the D: http://apple2.info/wiki/index.php?title=Mockingboard

The stand is specifically designed for the monochrome IIc monitor, so I don't think it would hold a color composite one, sorry.

Dean

The ][, ][+ and the first model or two of //e had stock 6502s. The //c line and the last 2 or 3 models of //e (the beige ones noted usually by an "Enhanced" mark on the power light, and all with a boot banner of "Apple //e" instead of "Apple ][") all have 65C02s.

In particular, my //e has a GTE G65SC02P-2.

The ][, ][+ and the first model or two of //e had stock 6502s. The //c line and the last 2 or 3 models of //e (the beige ones noted usually by an "Enhanced" mark on the power light, and all with a boot banner of "Apple //e" instead of "Apple ][") all have 65C02s.

In particular, my //e has a GTE G65SC02P-2.

Interesting.

maybe I really should look at getting a //e instead..!

is the mockingboard really worth a damn though? I think the list of games for it is kinda small, right ? Ultima IV and V being the big ones for me personally.

There were only a few titles that used the Mockingboard. If you want to play with one to create music, get one; otherwise, the vast majority of Apple gaming is not impacted.

As for the //e, they are my favorite of the series. I may get another one, or a plus for hardware projects, so I can weather a mistake. :) The Enhanced has the full keyboard with keypad, and that's the one I have. They are the newest produced too, so that's a plus given one is going to use the machine. Some age related failure modes get put off for a time.

But there are trade-offs with all the models. The ][, ][+ and //e need cards. It is common to find them with the core set of cards, which are disk controller, 80 column and serial though. They take room the C doesn't too.

All depends on what you want to do. Fixing the C might be a fun project too. It probably is the RAM.

There were only a few titles that used the Mockingboard. If you want to play with one to create music, get one; otherwise, the vast majority of Apple gaming is not impacted.

No, I don't really want to make music with it, since the same kind of music can be made on other machines I own... I am mostly just trying to find my Ultima-fanboy-urges. Ultima V is the big reason I'd want the mockingboard, but I don't know if it's worth it considering I have the DOS one w/ MIDI...

All depends on what you want to do. Fixing the C might be a fun project too. It probably is the RAM.

I don't even know if there are problems now. The more I turn it on the less it seems to act retarded. It hadn't been turned on in like 20 years. I've got the cable on the way and we will see where that takes me. Hopefully it just works and needs to be de-yellowed. It's funny that only the space bar yellowed, and the rest of the keys did not.

The IIc still takes up space, imo. It's the same kinda footprint, it just isn't as bulky. It works in my lap better than a IIe would, though

If Ultima V music is giving you a hard-on, then just test it out in the Applewin Emulator, configure it for a Mockingboard A in slots 4 and 5. Or a Phasor. Both give similar results.

This is pretty accurate emulation and will give u your jollies. It will let you decide if you want to spend money on two boards, or one, or none. This sounds different than general midi on the PC. Quite different. It has the tonal qualities of some arcade music, Gyruss and Tron come to mind right away.

Edited by Keatah

Apple wasn't yet making unreassembleable products when the //c+ was sold. It should be no more difficult than handling a standard //c.

One shortcut to fixing the random characters is removing and cleaning the oxide off the sram cache at 3, and the asic at location 4, reference the mobo photo at -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_IIc_Plus -- Good luck in popping the accerator asic out without snapping the socket. Back and forth, nice and slow. It eventually comes out.. Failing that do all the other chips. And consider replacing the main ram, as those are failure prone, still.

There is a capacitor mod someplace that can also be done to a certain revision of the board. Of which I have no solid clarification about.

If Ultima V music is giving you a hard-on, then just test it out in the Applewin Emulator, configure it for a Mockingboard A in slots 4 and 5. Or a Phasor. Both give similar results.

This is pretty accurate emulation and will give u your jollies. It will let you decide if you want to spend money on two boards, or one, or none. This sounds different than general midi on the PC. Quite different. It has the tonal qualities of some arcade music, Gyruss and Tron come to mind right away.

Thank you, captain obvious.

You don't really need to tell me about how things will sound. That's not what's in question here. The question is, do I want to spend money on another Ultima collectible. (Ultima V for Apple II, with mockingboard), for shits and giggles.

I've already got it for C64 and DOS. Why not add another.

Hell, I've also got it for NES.

I doubt the Mockingboard is going to touch the MT-32 renditions of the Ultima V music though.

I don't know.. DO you want to spend the time and money putting it together?

IMHO anything to do with Ultima is waste. It's a slow, plodding, pedestrian exercise in time wasting. It's a game for 14 year olds to get off on.

The mockingboard music will sound like any other hardware that uses the same sound chip. Little difference.

Will it come close to MT-32? uhm, no..

I don't know.. DO you want to spend the time and money putting it together?

Not especially. If someone were to offer one for the right price, I'd probably buy it though.

IMHO anything to do with Ultima is waste. It's a slow, plodding, pedestrian exercise in time wasting. It's a game for 14 year olds to get off on.

Well you've finally confirmed my suspicions that you're a frigging moron with no gaming sense. Congrats.

The mockingboard music will sound like any other hardware that uses the same sound chip. Little difference.

Will it come close to MT-32? uhm, no..

Duh, and duh.

Is this you?:

captain_obvious.jpg

Cable came.

Boot strapping was a joke.

This is way easier than the Commodore was, with that jank ass parallel cable + OpenCBM. Should be playing games soon. Looks like I'll be bleaching this thing and being a proud Apple IItard soon

All the hard work (which required talent) has been done.

*yawn*

You're socially retarded, aren't you.

I'm currently enjoying a joystickless Falcon adventure, complete with hyperactive speeds and no way to go left on screen. \o/

Maybe I should change this topic to "I need an Apple II Joystick".

Thanks to everyone who helped get this going. I found a sealed box of 5.25" disks, and also found some useless Sharp utility programs for DOS. AKA: free 3.5" disks. :)

edit: eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3208400912111?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=320840091211&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I couldn't pass up this. I hope it works out.

It looks sweet, so *fingers crossed*.

Maybe I should change this topic to "I need an Apple II Joystick".

Thanks to everyone who helped get this going. I found a sealed box of 5.25" disks, and also found some useless Sharp utility programs for DOS. AKA: free 3.5" disks. :)

edit: eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3208400912111?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=320840091211&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I couldn't pass up this. I hope it works out.

It looks sweet, so *fingers crossed*.

Congrats on scoring a joystick! I've got one of those that i use with my Apple IIc+ and it works fine. I hope yours is in good shape, it will make playing the games a lot more fun.

Dean