IGNORED

Trying to figure out an old PC game I played as a kid.

So today I had a conversation with someone about the old PC games we used to play at school. like Oregon Trail, Where in the World is Carmen San Diego, and many others. During this conversation I remembered one that I recall little about, I played it back in the 5th grade when a friend of mine brought it from home and installed it on the school computer. Memories of this game have popped up every now and then when I'm thinking of old PC games nad everytime it drives me crazy because I can never figure out what it was! What I do remember is that it started in a forest and was in an overhead view kind of like the Zelda games. One of the gameplay mechanics featured birthstones, opal, amethyst, emeralds that sort of thing, can't recall if it was an actual game play mechanic but I recall them being things you found. Beyond that though my memory is very fuzzy, though I recall it being very fun, we played it all the time. The only other detail I recall was in caves there were things that looked like berries but also looked like they were smoldering embers. I know its not much to go by but maybe someone here will have a clue what I'm talking about and I can put this mystery to rest.

Edited by A_Locomotive

I don't think it's correct, but for some reason, Faery Tale Adventure immediately popped in my head, so , was that it?

No that doesn't look like it. I recall it being more colorful.

About what year were you playing it? Any idea if it was 4, 16, 256 colors?

I'm not 100% certain as I'm not sure how old I was(ir if it was infact 5th or 4th grade I was in) but I think it was around 1995 - 1997. I know it definitely wasn't 4 color, and 16 color doesn't seem right but its possible I'm remembering it being better looking then it really was since up to this point it had been one of the best looking games I'd seen on a computer.

Was it 3D or 2D?

Was it by any chance Albion?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/albion

2D, from the few screen shots I can find it looks fairly inline with what I remember it looking like but I don't directly recognize any of the locations or objects in the screen shot so I'm not sure, I also don't recall what your character looked like either.

Sounds like The Legend Of Kyrandia to me - and if it is, it's my favorite PC game of all time!

I think this may be it! I could have sworn the perspective in game was more over head like in the zelda games but one screen shot is extremely familiar, I had a sense of deju vu when I saw it so I think this may be the game. Now I need to find a copy and try it and and see! haha honeslty I want to try all the games mentioned so far. That Albion one looks and sounds fun. Now I just need to find these game and figure out how to run them. Haven't run anything that old since I got Day of the Tentacle working on my last computer a few years ago.

This is the screen shot that caught my eye. The character doesn't ring a bell but that altar or what ever it is with the gem stones set in it is extremely familiar.

65798-the-legend-of-kyrandia-dos-screenshot-the-forest-altar-looks.png

The character's name is Brandon and the game starts out in a tree house. His uncle Kalyk is turned to stone by the evil jester Malcolm. The game play is superb and there is a really tough sequence where you have to use 'fire berries' (like you mentioned earlier) in a dark cave to light your way out - you may even find an emerald treasure in there! Anyway, you can get the game from almost any abandonware DOS site I think. There are birth stones as well, an amulet and lots of magic. A 10 out of 10 in my book!

DosBox is finicky and is based on the sub directories being correct. You should be able to drag the install.exe or Kyrandia.exe file to the DosBox app and have it automatically set the sub directories for repeat use. You can try putting the Kyrandia folder on your c: drive and the DosBox folder on the desktop, then make a duplicate of the install file and drag it to the DosBox app (at least I think that's how it works - it's been a while since I've used DosBox so my info may be a bit crappy). Hope that helps.

Jon