IGNORED

A good website to find the value of games

thomas3120

Rarityguide.com is pretty good as long as you (a) divide all the prices by at least 50% (sometimes more), and (b) realize that it treats rarity and price as synonymous. The most glaring example of the latter is listing Moonwalker for Genesis as one of the system's rarest games -- it's not even close.

Having said that, Rarityguide.com is useless for imports, homebrews, and variants, and its coverage of certain systems is fairly poor (PlayStation, Dreamcast). The ideal thing is to find a good rarity guide tailored for each system, but though some good efforts have been made for Nintendo systems (at NintendoAge.com), Atari consoles (here), and Intellivision (several resources) among others, it's always a moving target.

Rarityguide.com is pretty good as long as you (a) divide all the prices by at least 50% (sometimes more), and (b) realize that it treats rarity and price as synonymous. The most glaring example of the latter is listing Moonwalker for Genesis as one of the system's rarest games -- it's not even close.

Having said that, Rarityguide.com is useless for imports, homebrews, and variants, and its coverage of certain systems is fairly poor (PlayStation, Dreamcast). The ideal thing is to find a good rarity guide tailored for each system, but though some good efforts have been made for Nintendo systems (at NintendoAge.com), Atari consoles (here), and Intellivision (several resources) among others, it's always a moving target.

I disagree with you. If you filter the results at rarityguide by rarity from highest to lowest, you'll find that the prices don't go from highest to lowest in their columns. So, they don't just put the most expensive games as the rarest games. They tend to be gauged generally on their real values as collectibles. RPGs and Shmups are always higher in price than other games generally speaking.

I think you're wrong about their pricing being valued by double-over actual value. I've cross referenced 100's of games there just wasting time, by looking at completed ebay listings and their prices generally are pretty close especially in the CiB and Loose columns. I'm not trying to say rarityguide is the standard, but it's a good resource. What I do like about that site is the NiB/CiB/L differentiation that you don't get on other sites, where you just get rarity and nothing else.

As for Genesis Moonwalker, that's been a collectible for quite some years. There are a few Genesis games that you would think are common as heck, but it's not the case. The same with Ghostbusters, it was an early release, like Moonwalker, and it used to be for sale cheap a long time ago, but both those games have become collectible for reasons like having Michael Jackson on the artwork, and Ghostbusters being a cult classic movie and being a good game also.

I disagree with you. If you filter the results at rarityguide by rarity from highest to lowest, you'll find that the prices don't go from highest to lowest in their columns. So, they don't just put the most expensive games as the rarest games. They tend to be gauged generally on their real values as collectibles. RPGs and Shmups are always higher in price than other games generally speaking.

Perhaps "synonymous" was too strong, but Rarityguide.com does unequivocally allow an item's desirability and/or hype to influence its alleged "rarity", and that's bogus IMHO. If you sort by rarity for the SNES, the first page of results includes Lufia, Chrono Trigger, and Super Mario RPG, none of which are among the system's rarest titles. Most desirable, yes, but that's an entirely distinct issue and I think all rarity guides that confuse the two do a disservice.

I think you're wrong about their pricing being valued by double-over actual value. I've cross referenced 100's of games there just wasting time, by looking at completed ebay listings and their prices generally are pretty close especially in the CiB and Loose columns. I'm not trying to say rarityguide is the standard, but it's a good resource.

I agree that it's a good resource, but c'mon, people aren't buying CIB copies of Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, Monopoly, and trashy sports games for Genesis at $9-10 a pop! Most sellers can't give those games away. Nor are people buying Intellivision Armor Battle for $11, or Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack for $6. If you disagree, I'm happy to sell you my extra copies for half that amount, and you can rake in the dough. :)

That's the acid test of any valuation -- if the appraiser won't immediately buy your item for 50% of the alleged value, then the appraisal is probably bogus. We always have to be critical of the Dutch tulip impulse: everyone wants to think their stuff is gold. It's titillating to think you have thousands of dollars of stuff in your closet, and there's every reason to encourage inflation and overvaluation.

As for Genesis Moonwalker, that's been a collectible for quite some years.

But "collectible" != "rare", and that's my point. Moonwalker isn't common as dirt, but it wasn't made in vanishingly small quantities, either, and I've seen a hell of a lot more copies of Moonwalker in the wild than I have, say, Pocahontas.

BTW I don't mean to single out RarityGuide.com. I think most "collecting" guides tend towards price inflation. Even shows like Antiques Roadshow tend to be wildly excessive in their valuations, from what I understand. The normative pricing expectation shouldn't be for absolutely mint items, sold by trusted sellers to impatient buyers, but that's what most rarity guides do: they set a super-premium baseline, and add 10% on top of that.

Not all of RarityGuide.com's prices are too high -- it moderately undervalues a few things, like M.U.S.H.A. and El Viento for Genesis, and massively undervalues Spiker for Intellivision -- but IMO, most of them are.

• Like 2

Wow, I looked into that price charting deal posted here, freaking pricey that one. Maybe I missed something, but when it started talking 49.99 a month I closed that window quick fast.

I still default to completed AUCTIONS on eBay. If I can find 3 or 4 auctions that were bid to around the same money I go with that price as the correct rate for the time. I spend a lot of time in live auctions and find that a real auction with people that know what they are bidding on bidding is the best way to get the right price. Sadly eBay is almost completely BIN right now, but there are enough auctions to help most of the time. Just make sure its a completed auction for the same stuff. You have the read descriptions as sometimes there is something very different about it that effects the price.