IGNORED

Blow-out

Seob

Just started my older windows xp athlon 2600 based pc, because i wanted to see what documents i had on my zip disks. But the fun didn't last long. Just after running for about 15 minutes, there was a little flash visible inside the power supply followed by a huge smokescreen. After venting the house i inspected the power supply to see what happened.

Cause of the failure where few caps who had exploded.

Have to trace a new power supply, since the one i have now is just 250w, to see if there is more damage.

Before i tried this pc, i was working with a mac lc that hadn't been running for more then 2 years, and that worked without any trouble,lol.

250 Watts might run it. Power requirements tend to be way overstated on most hardware.

Even my Core2Quad only uses about 170 at idle, but running 3D instantly adds a bit over 100 to that.

I suspect dust and unnoticed failed fans probably kill as many PSUs as anything else. The things can get real hot if the ventilation is compromised.

There was a bit of dust inside the psu, but i have seen worse. Didn't check if the fan was running, so that could be the cause.

Will try my 250watt psu tonight. I remember i had to swap the psu at some point because of windows faillures, but i will remove all components i don't need, like the tv-card, so it doesn't stress the psu to much.

We'll no power up with the 250watt psu. So the psu may be broken or the cpu has died on me as well. As i turn it on i hear a buzz like something spinning up, But it isn't the psu fan or the cpu fan. No drives connected. When i unplug the power cable from the wall outlet the cpu fan spins round a second and then stops.

So i removed the zip disk to put in a harddisk enclosure and hooked it up on my win7 pc. It works good, so now i have copied all files from the zips and came across my old amiga mod files. Ah memories. I made some with a friend of mine back in the days, using a 286 pc with modedit and a diy covox cable. Ha the looks on the faces of people attending a computer club, dragging a pc inside with a amplifier and then going to those amiga guys to extract mod files from games.