IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Gremlins

Chris Strong

14 hours ago, JagChris said:

Is there another ROM of Gremlins out there?

I guess you mean XEX; I don't know of any ROM version for the 8-bit computers.

14 hours ago, JagChris said:

The ones I'm seeing like this seem more colorful and don't have typo spacing errors that mine do.

Colors could be emulator/palette being used there.

I'm not sure what the typo spacing errors are that you refer to. I have this version in my collection labelled "fixed". Not sure what's fixed, but here it is.

Gremlins (5200, Fixed).xex

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, MrFish said:

I'm not sure what the typo spacing errors are that you refer to. I have this version in my collection labelled "fixed". Not sure what's fixed, but here it is.

Gremlins (5200, Fixed).xex 24.41 kB · 4 downloads

Fixed usually means that the overdump was corrected.  So this ROM was probably dumped as 32K and fixed to be 24K then made into an XEX.

10 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Fixed usually means that the overdump was corrected.  So this ROM was probably dumped as 32K and fixed to be 24K then made into an XEX.

Could be.

I have another version from Homesoft that isn't labelled fixed and it's about 18K. Could be compressed, I'm not sure. It doesn't have the "Glenn 5200" text on the title screen.

31 minutes ago, MrFish said:

Could be.

I have another version from Homesoft that isn't labelled fixed and it's about 18K. Could be compressed, I'm not sure. It doesn't have the "Glenn 5200" text on the title screen.

Hit CTRL-G on the title screen.  Some of Glenn's conversions would show hidden credits that way, and his name would be lurking in there.  This might be one of them.

And since we're talking about there being two different versions of Gremlins floating around: I have a vague recollection of running across this BITD.  From what I (barely) recall, one version omitted the title screen with the gremlin on it, opting instead for just a text screen giving instructions for how to start the game.

This may be my mind playing tricks on me, but it sounds about right.

15 hours ago, JagChris said:

Is there another ROM of Gremlins out there? The ones I'm seeing like this seem more colorful and don't have typo spacing errors that mine do.

That's the version with the screwy sound.  There is a fixed one out there, IIRC.

16 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Hit CTRL-G on the title screen.  Some of Glenn's conversions would show hidden credits that way, and his name would be lurking in there.  This might be one of them.

I'm not sure, but Homesoft ( @nobody ) has done a lot of 5200 to 8-bit computer conversions himself. So, I wouldn't be surprised if this is either his own conversions, or he just decided to remove the Glenn screen from the original conversion. I prefer not having the Glenn screens displayed by default. Yes, I was aware that you can hit <ctrl><"g"> to bring up Glenn's info. This version doesn't do anything like that.

16 hours ago, JagChris said:

...and don't have typo spacing errors that mine do.

I think this might be the spacing error you're talking about. This is from the Homesoft version; doesn't appear in the other version I posted, with fixed in the description. So, maybe that's the fix.

"STARTON"

gremstarton.thumb.png.ddf7d365f6f30277f682404ee8a71bbf.png

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MrFish said:

Gremlins (5200, Fixed).xex 24.41 kB · 12 downloads

Thanks fior this. You guys are awesome

• 1 month later...
On 9/20/2012 at 7:20 PM, Chris Strong said:

I've got about 2/3 of my Atari collection unpacked now. I am afraid I'm not really reading these forums anymore, this discussion totally killed my enthusiasm for the online Atari community...I'm afraid to even mention things for fear of being called a liar or a braggart, so I guess I'll just keep it to myself. I have found a number of spare and duplicate items I'll be auctioning on ebay over the next few months.

Not sure if you're still around, but were you ever able to get that Gremlins proto dumped?   I think you may own the only copy.

• Like 1