IGNORED

Sprite editors

sometimes99er

This is Patterns32 (Patterns forked) version 0.2.

No hexadecimal input, output or clipboard - yet. Colors on startup are only for quick testing purposes. Use Clear button to get rid of the colors. Reload page if you want some random colors again.

I've added 3 differently sized smaller previews.

http://sometimes.planet-99.net/patterns/patterns32.v0.2.html

;)

This is wonderful! I still think it's easier to use than Magellan ;) Thank you for taking the time to do this.

• Like 1

How about this. Hopefully this is clear...

attachicon.gifpatterns.png

I like the way the colors attach.

I'm not quite seeing how the paste, copy, paste fits in. But certainly nice to see things turned upside down and viewed from another perspective. A breath of fresh air. Thanks for the input. :thumbsup:

Putting on my thinking cap ...

;)

I like the way the colors attach.

I'm not quite seeing how the paste, copy, paste fits in. But certainly nice to see things turned upside down and viewed from another perspective. A breath of fresh air. Thanks for the input. :thumbsup:

Putting on my thinking cap ...

;)

Changing the squares on the grid with the mouse will change the hex definitions in the coloured text boxes. Similarly, typing hex digits in the coloured text boxes will change the pattern in the appropriate 8x8 square.

Since they are text boxes, standard Windows/Linux Copy&Paste should work just fine with need for special coding. :)

• Like 1

Changing the squares on the grid with the mouse will change the hex definitions in the coloured text boxes. Similarly, typing hex digits in the coloured text boxes will change the pattern in the appropriate 8x8 square.

Since they are text boxes, standard Windows/Linux Copy&Paste should work just fine with need for special coding. :)

:)

Yea, well, - we can't expect anyone to like copy and paste again and again and again with 16 input fields ... Maybe one giant input field with a bit of formatting ...

:|

Edited by sometimes99er

Albert, on 25 Sept 2015 - 07:58 AM, said:

I have increased the default size of Flash objects, so they are now 640x480, so the editor is much easier to use now.  I still haven't figured out how to set a specific width and height (something that used to work until Invision kindly changed it some versions ago), but I will keep looking. :D

..Al

Excellent. Thanks. Fixed 640x480 should do the trick. I'll have to do a resize at my end to get the razor-sharp 1:1 pixel-perfection, but not to worry.

:thumbsup:

Edited by sometimes99er

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just wondering if this is still alive :)

The combined in- and output text field added, to hold the 256 character long hexadecimal value.

The code is relatively simple and effective, so I'll keep the output updating in real-time for now. No clipboard or input logic yet.

http://sometimes.planet-99.net/patterns/patterns32.v0.4.html

Will add a fill button too. And a splash of Mr. Game & Watch.

;)

Edited by sometimes99er

I really could have used this for SSA. :)

One request though... the way that the pattern data is output doesn't really map to any mode on the TI, neither sprites nor characters. It would be helpful (at least to me) if each row of the hex output represented one "sprite" worth of data, and then the four sprites in some logical order, it matters a little less. So each group of 8 bytes is a single character, and then the characters ordered like so:

(drawing area):

AC EG

BD FH

IK MO

JL NP

(hex output rows):

ABCD

EFGH

IJKL

MNOP

That way it's easy to use it for a single 8x8 character, single 16x16 sprite, or full 32x32 set of sprites, just copy the hex bytes desired.

• Like 1

One request though... the way that the pattern data is output doesn't really map to any mode on the TI, neither sprites nor characters. It would be helpful (at least to me) if ...

Ha. Thanks. ;)

Now, this quick release was just trying to get some reactions on the look and feel, since it's not yet useful.

I must however confess that the output format slipped my mind while being so happy about my compact and yet completely readable code implementation. So indeed, thanks for bringing it up.

And of course the long string / hexadecimal value should represent the data-flow of sprites (double sized), as do the original "Patterns" (see post #1). Right now its just foolishly following the bitmap data flow.

There will be some features for both input and output, much along the way of the original (16x16 mentioned just above).

That way it's easy to use it for a single 8x8 character, single 16x16 sprite, or full 32x32 set of sprites, just copy the hex bytes desired.

Yes, you could do that. For 8x8 I had my Grapefruit which is superseded by Magellan. Then the original Patterns for quick 16x16, and this one, upon request, for 32x32 pixels. Keyword for the last ones is ease of use.

;)

Edited by sometimes99er
  • Like 1

I really could have used this for SSA. :)

One request though... the way that the pattern data is output doesn't really map to any mode on the TI, neither sprites nor characters. It would be helpful (at least to me) if each row of the hex output represented one "sprite" worth of data, and then the four sprites in some logical order, it matters a little less. So each group of 8 bytes is a single character, and then the characters ordered like so:

(drawing area):

AC EG

BD FH

IK MO

JL NP

(hex output rows):

ABCD

EFGH

IJKL

MNOP

Thanks for testing, and cutting it out like that. Made sense once I sat down and started coding (working from the inside and out). The sprite layout itself could have suggested that I'd move down from sprite #1 instead of across, but I did as you suggested (and I actually think it made for a shorter implementation).

;)

http://sometimes.planet-99.net/patterns/patterns32.v0.5.html

Thanks! And this time I see Mr Game and Watch!! :)

Yeah, the actual sprite order I wasn't too worried about -- in SSA I go down then across too, but I've seen across first about as many times. :)

It looks good here so far! Data looks good and seems to be in the right place!

I'm not sure if you are planning multiple output formats, but when pasting it all runs together. That's not the end of the world, but a carriage return after each line (like it appears on screen) would help sort the data after pasting. :)

• Like 1

Thanks! And this time I see Mr Game and Watch!! :)

Sorry for throwing ideas around like that. First version with cute guy. I think we'll keep him. ;)

Yeah, the actual sprite order I wasn't too worried about -- in SSA I go down then across too, but I've seen across first about as many times. :)

It looks good here so far! Data looks good and seems to be in the right place!

Thanks. ;)

I'm not sure if you are planning multiple output formats, but when pasting it all runs together. That's not the end of the world, but a carriage return after each line (like it appears on screen) would help sort the data after pasting. :)

Output

I can format and put to the clipboard continuously, and/or have buttons (or something) for choosing a specific format. Suggestions are more than welcome !

Input

The hexadecimal input field (output when you draw) stays as is. You will be able to type, edit and paste there. Anything but hexadecimals will be stripped automatically when pasting. Not yet implemented.

The automatic strip will enable you to store your sprite patterns in your program source. Copy from source and paste in editor if you want to change any pixels. Choose output format *) and it will be in your clipboard.

*) Will stay as selected for the session. All data are local and nothing is stored when terminating or refreshing web-page. Apart from maybe what's been put in your clipboard, I think (will test).

Edited by sometimes99er

That sounds perfect to me. The most useful output formats to me would be:

-raw hex strings as displayed

-assembly style strings as bytes (>00,>00,>00... etc. For compatibility with E/A (line length), maybe only 16 bytes per line, but a blank line between "sprites" would again be nice), and NO comma at the end of a line.

-C-style data instead of assembly (just using "0x" instead of ">"), and DOES have the comma at the end of a line.

Those three would cover all cases I personally use. You can definitely go overboard... other options might include:

-CALL CHAR statements for XB (full sprite per line)

-CALL CHAR statements for BASIC (one character per line) - both of these you'd need to put something for the character though, either dummy or input

-16-bit words instead of bytes

Mmm... that's all I've got offhand. :)

• Like 1

The hexadecimal field has user input disabled for now. Simply to avoid any confusion when the controlling code is not yet in place for just that - user input of hexadecimals.

This version is for testing the different output formats. When you press any of the 5 formats, Assembly, C, Forth, Raw and XB, - only then is your clipboard updated.

You may try pasting to different editors etc. from different platforms and browsers.

http://sometimes.planet-99.net/patterns/patterns32.v0.6.html

Edit:

Oh, also added a rotate button. ;)

Edited by sometimes99er