IGNORED

Has anyone ever download all of asimov? All 224GB of it?

I thought it was much bigger than that.. And the only reason I ask this is because I had a nightmare where I met this alien programmer that had a mean data compression algorithm that stuffed twice that amount into 10 megs. So with that I could put the entire site on my sider drive for example.

Edited by Keatah

I was going to say 224G IS HUGE, till I browsed for a torrent and found it listed at 22.4G.

Personally, even at 22.4G, I'd pass...

I don't use it often enough to want a local copy at 22G...

Then again, if you remove all the dupicates and useless files, I think it compressed down to about 3M..

Kidding!! :-)

desiv

• 4 weeks later...

Five or eight years ago, I recall being able to fit the entire asimov archive on a single dvd-r.

So where's the bloat at? The site seems to have expanded in the last month, it's now at over 280gb.

Almost half of it is the website captures that are in /pub/apple_II/images/other_archives/ which is approx. 127gb

Multiple captures too (same site, different dates). Inside the larger zip files there are alot of pdfs.

As it turns out, the pdfs in /pub/apple_II/documentation/ are responsible for almost a third of asimov's size: 77gb

Then the emulators folder: 52gb, of which 39.8gb is from 4 files... the MESS Apple II collection.

Then rest of the images folder, which has some pdfs here and there, and the utility folder: 25gb... a dozen of these files take up 20.1gb

... of which 16.48gb is just one file: /pub/apple_II/images/pd_collections/tosec/TOSEC_Classics_for_MESS_Emulator.zip

So the original archive, the disk images, is still only 4.9gb. Minus the pdf's and some cd-roms, it probably goes down below 3gb.

Edited by eccofonic

I'd rather have too much than too little - many of the "dupes" are actually different versions or different cracks of particular titles (I contributed three different versions of Music Construction Set) and, yeah, the disk images themselves take up only a tiny fraction of the space anyway. Better to be redundant than remiss!