IGNORED

5200 4-port cables question

Cafeman

I have a 2 port 5200.

Recently I bought a 4-port, but I notice that the cable is thicker than my 2port's -- I think I read that the RF and power supply are combined somehow?

Please give me suggestions on how to use the 4 port 5200 -- I have the 2-port's cable and power chord, and I have an RF of course. DO I need to buy or make some new cable connection?!

To use the 4 port you need the special RF Switchbox. The cord is thicker because it also carries the power to the system. Personally I think it was a great idea except the stupid switchbox always causes interference on my TV (snow, ghosting, wavy lines, etc.). Must be because it's not shielded very well.

I don't think you can jsut go in and switch cables since theres no place to plug the power cord into the 4 port (it plugs directly into the switch box). You might be able to mod it somehow but that would be alot of work.

If you need a switchbox e-mail me and we'll work something out (maybe for the price of some code tweaking), I have 2 extra ones, but the wire on the inside is bent down. You can easily fix them by straightening it out, but I never wanted to take the time to do it. BTW the wire I'm talking about is the copper wire that actually plugs into the TV (like the little copper wire in coax cable). The 5200 switchbox used a really bad design that had a circle of metal prongs shielding the wire, but the wire was sitting free inside (no plastic around it) so it was really easy to bend down if you didn't line it up with the hole right.

BTW you can use the same power supply, they look slightly different but are the same. The one that came with the 4 port had the wires (the plug and the power cord) coming out of different sides of the transformer, the later model (same as all the other 8-bit power supplies) had the wires coming out of the same side.

Tempest

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: Tempest ]

Cafeman:

Matt is stating that on the Coax connection that actually plugs into the TV itself..that the center wire is bent down a bit on his switch boxes. It would be just a simply reforming to get that where it needs to be.

As for the RF box question itself. No you can't get a box like this at Radio shack. What you could do is look aroud the 5200 FAQ here and you will see instruction on how to make a switch box for the 4 port model from a normal RF switch box.

You can also modify the 5200 itself. But then you have to solder in some wires and a connector for the power supply and you have to remove the choke from the 5200 mainboard to remove the power connection. Otherwise you will smoke something.

I forgot to mention..that Cafeman...I have two spare working 4 port 5200 switchboxes. One of them I had to replace some burned out components in...but it works like a champ now. Talking over with several experts they figure that someone in the past tried to plug an 800 power supply into the switchbox and fried it. But again, I had to replace an Op Amp in it and a Transistor to get it working again.

The other spare I have is 100% and I haven't done any work on it as it didn't need any. However, these two switch boxes are different. The one I repaired doesn't have a Coax Ant In on it...it just has the VHF screws...the other however, does have both Ant. inputs.

Either one you get doesn't matter in less you want to connect your cable or VCR through the thing. Myself, I have a seperate TV for my game systems and have nothing but the game systems connected.

Some sort of trade would be the preferred method of those as well.

Let us know.

Just so I completely understand you --

I can get the 4-port RF and use it with my 2-port Power Supply, on my 4-port system, with no problems?

Also, I understand how you guys like to trade, but I have little to trade. I have a few duplicates of 5200 and CV games, nothing rare I'm sure.

I also have an extra 4-port switch box, and it is in PERFECT condition-it even has the sticky pad on the back of it to stick it right to the back of your TV, it was never used(plastic is still covering it). I'd be VERY happy to trade you for a 5200 game, if you have any good ones I don't have, and I don't have many 5200 games yet, so chances are you'll have something for me...whatcha' got? Assuming you haven't already made a deal with someone else...

• 3 weeks later...