IGNORED

HSC Round 4.26: Wacko

Wacko

1076172362.jpg

Kapt'n Krooz'r "kroozes" around the landscape and inside caves shooting monsters and avoiding collisions. Shoot two matching monsters in succession to make them disappear. On higher levels, shooting unmatched monsters creates "mutants".

-klov

Game Information

Game Name: Wacko

Released By: Bally Midway 1982

MAME ROMset: wacko

Dip Switches: internal default

Chosen By: patbb

ROM Location: http://romhustler.ne...mame/5778/wacko

AtariAge Arcade/MAME HSC Record:

Competition ends Sunday, March 18th @ 12PM EST

Leaderboard

95,100 Cynicaster

60,300 M.A.M.E Offender

58,750 bigbee99

20,850 retrorussell

20,150 kane

6,200 roadrunner

6,150 patbb

2,400 acelkin

2,100 jblenkle

Season Standings

Calculations through round 25

1. M.A.M.E Offender 399

2. bigbee99 396

3. Cynicaster 354

4. patbb 237

5. mr. toast 166

6. kane 131

7. roadrunner 100

8. acelkin 92

9. LarcenTyler 81

10. richard stewart 78

11. Barra 66

12. JohnnyBlaze 55

13. kojr 39

13. keilbaca 39

15. mightymage 23

16. retrorussell 19

17. rmaerz 16

18. NE146 8

18. jblenkle 8

20. Raygunn 6

21. onmode-ky 5

22. Kurt_Woloch 3

23. Fres 1

23. jblenkle 1

Edited by bigbee99

Talk about a Wacko game! They named it right. 1st I'm pairing up monsters, then little monsters. Then they turn into eggs with legs. Now I just finished a level where they turned into bats?!?!! And did you see the pic of the machine? I have to say this is a weird one Pat. From what I've read, it's a trackball/stick machine. I am just playing it with a keyboard right now. I tried setting it up with both my 360 controller and my mouse unsuccessfully.

I'll kick it off. I think I was just getting the hang of it too!

B

post-29567-0-46723000-1331505775_thumb.png

I remember playing it way back then and I completly forgot about it ... until I played at Funspot last summer.

Great score BTW.

I'm stuck at the level when they turn into mini creatures.

If you have an INP to share it would be appeciated.

Is the trackball a MUST for this game? If so, I'm going to have to sit this round out as as I don't have a trackball on my machine...

I don't think you need a trackball. Maybe set the stick up to move the ship and use 4 buttons to set up your firing.

I remember playing it way back then and I completly forgot about it ... until I played at Funspot last summer.

Great score BTW.

Next time I fire it up I'll record for you. I was mainly just messing around today. Pretty much what I was doing when I had to go against the little guys I would just circle around the screen and avoid them.

B

Edited by bigbee99

Heh, this is a fucked up game. I heard about it on RetrogamingRoundup and tried it out on MAME a few months ago, and thought it was pretty cool.

From that pic, it looks like the original cab provided a joystick on each side to let the player pick which hand will move your guy with the trackball and which hand will shoot with the joystick. Unfortunately for me, this presents a bit of a controls dilemma. Every trackball game I play with any sort of regularity (Missile Command, Centipede, Major Havoc, etc.) I use my right hand to move the ball and left hand to press the buttons. At the same time, any shooter type game where you use a joystick to shoot (Robotron, Smash TV, Space Dungeon, Rescue, etc.) I use my right hand to shoot. Which means, in this game, I'm going to have to decide whether I want to off-load moving duties or shooting duties to my left hand.

I'm gonna be totally screwed up trying to learn this one. Wacko indeed! It's kind of genius if you think about it.

Great score BTW.

He's a quick go from me of 48700. Walking Dead is on....... I have to go :P

B

Thanks.

I'm, having a lot of problem controling the little guy.

I'm going to try decreasing the sensibility.

My English is far from perfect but is it me or that sounds dirty?

Anyway ... I'm talking about the trackball.

Great score BTW.

He's a quick go from me of 48700. Walking Dead is on....... I have to go :P

B

Thanks.

I'm, having a lot of problem controling the little guy.

I'm going to try decreasing the sensibility.

My English is far from perfect but is it me or that sounds dirty?

Anyway ... I'm talking about the trackball.

I think you mean sensitivity.

You can achieve that in 2 ways: Windows and Mame.

I think it is of utmost importance to have the sensitivity set at a happy medium.

Time to try Wacko.

I am really struggling to figure out how to set up the gamepad to play this one. I'll have to do some research & see how I should map it, cause right now I can only move up & down.

I'm not 100% sure of this because I'm using a trackball and don't have to go through this step, but here is my understanding. I think you need to hit TAB, go into "analog controls" and map the "analog inc" and "analog dec" to your up/down and left/right. Of course, X direction is left/right and Y direction is up/down.

What these refer to are analog "increment" and "decrement". MAME allows you to simulate an analog control with a digital gamepad by gradually "ramping up" or "ramping down" the input (i.e. incrementing or decrementing) the longer you hold the respective direction on your controller. You can also fiddle with "digital speed" which adjusts how quickly the simulated analog ramps up and down. Hope that helps.

I am really struggling to figure out how to set up the gamepad to play this one. I'll have to do some research & see how I should map it, cause right now I can only move up & down.

See the pic for the way I have mine set up. The "P1 Left/XXX" stuff is the directions of the gun. As for the Track stuff, I think you can do without anything on the Analogs and just focus on the Dec and Inc if playing with a keyboard.

B

post-29567-0-35109400-1332021872_thumb.jpg

20,850. Sorry, I can only include my YouTube vid for right now. I'll work on getting Real Player back to being able to download the video, then take a picture of where the hi score shows. I threw away the original video file. The hi score shows at about 5 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIiW9jB04Ig&feature=plcp&context=C4704386VDvjVQa1PpcFMPn2ivhc1c2O5YnpBuu78IxpJP2fXAf74=

Edited by retrorussell

ps. misfires sure do make it confusing. You must be careful with your shots in the later boards.

No kidding. When I first started playing this game, I was thinking that I wish you could shoot diagonally and maybe a bit faster. Now, I see how those abilities would probably work against me more than anything, because I'd be creating mutants left and right.

Edited by Cynicaster

Man the game gets tough on the 3rd loop. You start each level with some mutants, and they have to be unmixed in multiple steps. You can't just shoot two guys and they unmix; you have to shoot two guys to get an intermediate step then shoot two more to unmix them. Then of course you end up missing your mark, hitting guys on accident, further complicating it. Very confusing when you're trying to whip about and stay alive.

I really enjoyed this game but I can see why it never made much of a splash commercially; the control scheme is very tricky. They just don't make games like this anymore, because this kind of learning curve scares people away. I guess we're stuck with Angry Birds. :(

• Like 1

Man the game gets tough on the 3rd loop. You start each level with some mutants, and they have to be unmixed in multiple steps. You can't just shoot two guys and they unmix; you have to shoot two guys to get an intermediate step then shoot two more to unmix them. Then of course you end up missing your mark, hitting guys on accident, further complicating it. Very confusing when you're trying to whip about and stay alive.

I really enjoyed this game but I can see why it never made much of a splash commercially; the control scheme is very tricky. They just don't make games like this anymore, because this kind of learning curve scares people away. I guess we're stuck with Angry Birds. :(

First off, nice little insurance tag you put up this morning, Cyn! It sounds like you navigated your way through quite a bit of the 3rd loop. I was struggling immensely at the very beginning of the 3rd loop!

Secondly, I agree wholeheartedly on the fact that this game trains your memory, thus stimulating the prefrontal cortex and, in turn, using your brain. So when people tell me playing video games is a waste of time, I have ammo for an argument with them. :twisted:

Thirdly, Happy (belated) St. Pats to everyone!! Hope everyone had a fun, safe night! :)